Importation of Porsche

Muzz

Hello, I am an Australian expat currently living in Malaysia. I have the opportunity to purchase a low km Cayman 3.4 S 2008 model in great condition. I will be returning to Australia (victoria) in a couple of years and if I proceed to purchase the vehicle it would be with the intention to import on my return. I am wondering if anyone can provide links to relevent government approvals required to import. The vehicle was originally sold in the UK. Many thanks if you can assist.

Hi Jkay

Many thanks for the info. I will keep you posted.

Buying a used car in Malaysia is a mine field (as you may know). Chop shops, doctored odometers, lack of service records, dodgy import docs, con men abound. Finding a clean original vehicle is definitely a challenge. 

Cheers

It is indeed mate. I don’t trust the mileage on any used car there and ZERO cars I saw there had any service history of any sort so a good PPI is paramount. 

A female friend told me she’d found a well priced 987.1 last year with only 12,000 on the clock and had paid a deposit and wasn’t going to do a PPI.  I made her  PPI it and they said it had in the region of 250,000kms on it 

Also make sure you have a copy of the AP from the seller, because if you don’t, you will have problems if you ever decide to sell it…. And maybe with exporting it too

Quick google search will show you the docs.  You need to bring it in under personal import rules.  First step is the import approval, but not until you are ready to go.  Takes about 6 weeks to get approval so 3 months before departure is the time.