996 Turbo Tyres and Rims

Skafhold911

Hi All,

I’m hoping to get some advice on several things tyre and rim related. For reference, I have attached my recently acquired baby. 

Currently the vehicle is as per the image. It has been slightly lowered, and not on the original rims.  

Rims - Today I have collected the original turbo twist rims that came with the vehicle. Although they are in relatively good condition, they do have various chips to the paint. I have been advised to allow approx $350 to repair each one to new. My preference is the turbo twists to the current ones, however I am concerned that the vehicle has been lowered for the current ones, and may look somewhat odd with the originals.  I am ok paying the $350 per rim to fix them up, but I don’t want to spend a couple k raising the vehicle. Any thoughts?

Tyres - my rear tyres are needing replacement. Any recommendations on what I should go for, and price I should be expecting to pay?

Thanks!

4F40AF81-86BC-47B3-A6A3-F373B442BED4.jpeg

Not sure about the off sets of those compared to the originals. But if they are the same they will sit the same both being 18"s.

I think your car looks great and I'm not sure what adding the Twists would add in the looks department. 

But of course if you want that original look I get that too.

Tend to agree with outers that unless you are gogin for super stock look I'd prefer teh rims on it now over the twists. That said, the suspension shoudl be all good with either set of rims so it really is personal choice.

For tyres, I never skimp on them as they are literally the last thign touching the road and keepign you there.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the Continential Sport Contact 6 are my daily go to tyres.

Yokohama AD08R if the sizes are available for a more weekend and spirited driver or you can go to crazy town and get Pirelli P-Zero Corsa, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 etc..

On 19/11/2021 at 05:05, Merv said:

Go the Twists.  They are THE rim for these cars.

Just curious. The superzoom doesn't work very well on your signature picture.  You sure your not posting with some forked index fingers or is it a case I need to update the prescription on my glasses as the  outline of the wheels on your signature pic on that blue 996 turbo,  doesn't t look like its sporting factory hollow twists  (any twists) based on what I could see.  

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 05:59, 911CSR said:

Tend to agree with outers that unless you are gogin for super stock look I'd prefer teh rims on it now over the twists. That said, the suspension shoudl be all good with either set of rims so it really is personal choice.

For tyres, I never skimp on them as they are literally the last thign touching the road and keepign you there.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the Continential Sport Contact 6 are my daily go to tyres.

Yokohama AD08R if the sizes are available for a more weekend and spirited driver or you can go to crazy town and get Pirelli P-Zero Corsa, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 etc..

Running Pilot Sport 4's on another car, and will move away from the previously  goto  consensus Pilot Sport 2's/  P zero's if you are going for the super stock/ period correct look  now that Michelin recently added 295x30's r18's to their product listings.   

Thanks all for the input and info. 

Looks like 50/50 from everyone on twists/cargraphic. I'm still undecided, but will post an updated photo if I go the twists soon enough! :)

I do love the current look of the vehicle, but feel like I am leaning towards twists for that 'original' look. What are the chances someone on here has a silver turbo that has been lowered with twists....would love to see a photo.

Looks like PS4S is the winner for the tyres.

On 21/11/2021 at 16:49, Skafhold911 said:

Thanks all for the input and info. 

Looks like 50/50 from everyone on twists/cargraphic. I'm still undecided, but will post an updated photo if I go the twists soon enough! :)

I do love the current look of the vehicle, but feel like I am leaning towards twists for that 'original' look. What are the chances someone on here has a silver turbo that has been lowered with twists....would love to see a photo.

Looks like PS4S is the winner for the tyres.

Easy to beat the twists.   A variation on your request, but  complies with the original alternative look (until you put the car on a hoist and take a peep underneath) and not all silver's (L92M=POLAR)  are alike.      I brought a set of  hollow twists (keep in sync with a 996.2  version as not all twists are alike) to replace the alternative factory supplied rims that came with my car.  Don't think the twists will  see the light of day any time soon..  Techno's grew on me and nice to have something different to the dime a dozen twists.   Also good to call BS, when those in the know don't know what option code XRC  is.    PS Black front splitter the win

DSC01826.JPG

19 hours ago, Merv said:

I do like original wheel rims on these cars.  The (hollow) Twists still have that period look.

Turbo.jpg

In short form, Paul Hogan style, thats not a "hollow twist"

If you like hollow twist rims and the period look, why do you not  have them on your car. I don't consider that is the period look.  The period look is with twists

As I   suspected, per my previous post, with that pic above, you clearly do not have factory hollows (factory hollows = factory twists).   OP specifically wanted pics/ thoughts  on hollow twists.    Do me a favour, pop your frunk and on your sticker do you see code XRC. 996.2 cars came out with the hollow twists and don't have that code.  Techo's (XRC) were a factory option and don't  have the pronounced twist.  Take a look at the gt2 pic a few posts back.  Bugger all twist in the photo above in  comparison, or am I confused with that call.

Thank you for your pleasant response.  Much appreciated.  You have a few things wrong, but one thing right. These are indeed the desirable Sports Techno optioned wheels (as you have above),  installed at the factory on this 2003 996.2 TT car. They also have hollowed spokes and indeed a less obvious 'twist' in their reportedly lighter design.  I also did you that favour, of looking at the under hood code to confirm such fitment on this 996.2 car (i.e., XRC). 

So I, with your permission, would like to suggest that they are 'period'.  I hope that is OK with your judgement, but if not, then I RDC.

7 hours ago, Merv said:

Thank you for your pleasant response.  Much appreciated.  You have a few things wrong, but one thing right. These are indeed the desirable Sports Techno optioned wheels (as you have above),  installed at the factory on this 2003 996.2 TT car. They also have hollowed spokes and indeed a less obvious 'twist' in their reportedly lighter design.  I also did you that favour, of looking at the under hood code to confirm such fitment on this 996.2 car (i.e., XRC). 

So I, with your permission, would like to suggest that they are 'period'.  I hope that is OK with your judgement, but if not, then I RDC.

In short, Techno's are indeed  period correct and hollow. Absolutely  aligned.     However with your permission, I would like to suggest your  missing the point of my posts in the extent of my wrongness.  Your first post  in the context of this thread and your pics of your car are misaligned.  Your posts are passing techno's off as period correct hollow twists  (original hollow turbo twists)  and I am calling that out.  Two different rims.

I hope it is ok to further clarify the above judgment based on the following

All my posts are in the content of OP's (@skafhold911) original post and your first post response ,  being :

1) (@skafhold911)  …….   Today I have collected the "original turbo twist rims that came with the vehicle"

Lets assume the basis of my posts were on the basis of his car being a 996.1 turbo.  Your techno's are not original twists in that case and I would call BS if someone states / alludes to techno's being factory original turbo twist rims on a 996.1 and being period correct.   Not all Australian delivered turbo's are 996.2 like yours and mine and it appears only a minority of buyers  didn't want the original factory turbo  twists and ticked the xrc option box and paid extra dollars accordingly for techno's

2)  Your post,   "Go the Twists.  They are THE rim for these cars. "   

Your rims are indeed period and hollow, but as far as I am concerned my point was you are saying go with  original hollow turbo twists and they are the rim for all 996 turbo's , yet you don't even have them on your car 

Go the twists  means "original turbo twist rims that came with the vehicle"  right.  Being agnostic on 996.1 vs 996.2 in terms of period on a 996 turbo,  period correct rim to me is a twist (XRC  techno option  would be a technically correct asterisk note and the masses / and some newbies on this forum don't know techno's were a factory option).   Do a straw poll on what is period correct rim on a 996 turbo and what is a hollow twist (add turbo for additional clarification) and see how many  point to the 996 gt2 rim pic for the shape vs your techno pics.

Just to make my wrong point clearer, if you were to advertise  your rims in the classifieds on here  as  period correct hollow twists for a 996 turbo (996.2) , and someone brought them site unseen on your worded description with no pics (note they think your wrong on techno's being desirable),  you reckon the buyer wouldn't be a wee bit p#$%#$ off and you are going to hold you position you sent them  period correct hollow twists when the snotagram email or a please explain call comes in.   eg Your not goIng to return them the cash and pick up the courier costs right and respond with I sent you the period correct and desirable hollow twists and post that on here.  If you did put that pic up of the rims, I would bet heavily, you would get at least one post beside me caling that out.  Do a search, @q1w2e3r4 correctly and promptly realigned a forum member on here  during their search for a 996 turbo, where they poo pood my car for not having period correct factory twist rims.

@skafhold911, just curious and for the record,  you got the heavier solid turbo  twists or the lighter hollow turbo twists.  (I've left off Techno's (may regret that perhaps and I will be the first to sincerey apologise to Merv  if that is the case and go an extra round with you and suggest use the words techno rims ha ha).  Which way are leaning , or  has my and @merv's pics got you on the hunt for some hollow and period correct (if you car is a 996.2) techno's.

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 17:41, Joz said:

Was that me that poo pood them?

I queried them but not poo pood. 
well if that was me?

queried and comment made not stock enough = my speak for poo pood.    eg but the wheels are not factory, exhaust tips non oval, hence after market,  but they are both indeed factory.  Just needed a buyer at the time that brought a 996.2 and fatter wallet / purse with respect to ticking options boxes