WTB - alloy case 915 trans

Heya Team

I am on the lookout for an alloy case 915 trans. Happy to consider anything from a box needing rebuilding to something recently rebuilt.

Hopefully one of you has something available. My mag case 915 is in need of too much love to be feasible to repair (esp as it is not original to the car anyway). 

Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes and other appendages crossed. 

cheers

jono

4 hours ago, 9er said:

FS: 915 Transmission - Pelican Parts Forums

Carrera 915 - Pelican Parts Forums

There are a few on eBay US from some independent transmission repair shops, but they all usually carry a $2500 core charge on top of the purchase price.

Porsche 911 Rebuilt Transmission 1977 Electric Speedo Gearbox 915-60 | eBay

Thanks for the leads. 👍

I think buying a box that needs rebuilding, is not a great idea, if you already have one that needs rebuilding. Why do you say your mag case box is not worth rebuilding? 

My understanding is that the mag case boxes, have a steel plate moulded in the bell housing, to house the pinion and input shaft bearings, so they don't "oval' out with use like the alloy case boxes. 

I think a mag case transmission is much more "rebuildable" than a mag case engine.

disclosure: I've not rebuilt a mag case box before but have done a few alloy boxes now.

4 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

I think buying a box that needs rebuilding, is not a great idea, if you already have one that needs rebuilding. Why do you say your mag case box is not worth rebuilding? 

My understanding is that the mag case boxes, have a steel plate moulded in the bell housing, to house the pinion and input shaft bearings, so they don't "oval' out with use like the alloy case boxes. 

I think a mag case transmission is much more "rebuildable" than a mag case engine.

disclosure: I've not rebuilt a mag case box before but have done a few alloy boxes now.

That is my understanding also, and lighter.

On 19/11/2021 at 20:18, JonoF said:

Heya Team

I am on the lookout for an alloy case 915 trans. Happy to consider anything from a box needing rebuilding to something recently rebuilt.

Hopefully one of you has something available. My mag case 915 is in need of too much love to be feasible to repair (esp as it is not original to the car anyway). 

Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes and other appendages crossed. 

cheers

jono

Let me know if you’re selling the mag case gearbox.  

(if that doesn’t get you thinking … 😀)

On 19/11/2021 at 20:18, JonoF said:

Otherwise give Stan at Performance 9 a call.  He usually has some in stock but they may need some love - ranging from a cuddle to the full carnal