964 lightweight fly wheel kit

911Gbanger

1 hour ago, 911Gbanger said:

Hi guys,

Could anyone let me know what they think is the best lightweight flywheel kit for a Porsche 964?

I have seen kits from Patrick motorsports, FVD, sharkwerks AND DESIGN 911. They all vary in price.

Thanks

Patrick's is probably  the best and most expensive ,But I think Sachs is as good as any :)

5 hours ago, 911Gbanger said:

Hi guys,

Could anyone let me know what they think is the best lightweight flywheel kit for a Porsche 964?

I have seen kits from Patrick motorsports, FVD, sharkwerks AND DESIGN 911. They all vary in price.

Thanks

PCM are quoting OEM parts only for my 996 GT3 (single flywheel RS and cup P/N 96410223931 etc etc) ~$4,600 all parts (excluding GST) and 9.5 hours labour.

I checked "part by part" and Porsche Melbourne landed prices, including freight/taxes are better than Pelican/Design911 (US/UK)

What price are you looking at for the mentioned "lightweight flywheel kits"

I priced this on pelican the other day for a 996 GT3 (I think mostly the same parts as the 964) and it came to $1550 USD including shipping. That was for a Sebro flywheel and some other OEM equivalent stuff but not necessarily Porsche branded. No pressure plate (another $650ish USD). Figured I could spend another $1500 (AUD) on labour and have a LWFW and mostly new clutch set up for well under 4K.

4 hours ago, GTP911 said:

PCM are quoting OEM parts only for my 996 GT3 (single flywheel RS and cup P/N 96410223931 etc etc) ~$4,600 all parts (excluding GST) and 9.5 hours labour.

I checked "part by part" and Porsche Melbourne landed prices, including freight/taxes are better than Pelican/Design911 (US/UK)

Just to clarify, is that price including the 9.5 hours of labour? Does it also include the pressure plate? That’s not bad if so.

All this stuff is fine , If your a track tragic,  Some people just like driving their Porsche whatever the model, Because they are a good car to drive , All the stuff that takes you away from a nice car to enjoy , puts you in a category where the car is only good for 1 thing, It's a track hack ;)

7 minutes ago, spiller said:

Just to clarify, is that price including the 9.5 hours of labour? Does it also include the pressure plate? That’s not bad if so.

Item Desciption: Single mass flywheel involves new flywheel, ring gear, clutch plate, thrust bearing and gear box nose. 

No labour parts include, Single Flywheel RS and cup, (9) Pan head screws, Grooved ball bearing, Ring gear, (9 more) pan head screws, clutch plate, Guide tube, (2) oval head screws & release bearing.

Note: Mk1 GT3's dont need harmonic balancer change (single mass, standard clutch on Club Sport, e.g. same engine) 996.2 and all others need harmonic balance change.   

@GTP911 fair enough. IMO a lot of this stuff is fine in OEM equivalent as it’s more or less the same suppler just without the Porsche stamp on the box. Some of the Porsche branded bits are 3-4x the price! Would be curious to know the 996.1 crank pulley part no., was not able to find it when searching.

41 minutes ago, MFX said:

Improved throttle response is nice, but stalling every time you stop gets old quick. The idea is better than the reality I think, but maybe I am just getting old ;) .

Like putting a V8 in boxer or even crazier fitting a V12 in an Alfa 😁

Piston Head guys seemed to think it's worth the investment: 996 GT3 LWFW - Page 1 - 911/Carrera GT - PistonHeads UK

8 minutes ago, spiller said:

@GTP911 fair enough. IMO a lot of this stuff is fine in OEM equivalent as it’s more or less the same suppler just without the Porsche stamp on the box. Some of the Porsche branded bits are 3-4x the price! Would be curious to know the 996.1 crank pulley part no., was not able to find it when searching.

My recent 6.1 GT3 clutch change and (unexpected) replacement of Single Mass flywheel, plus some "while it's out" engine bits came to around $12k, all ex Porsche, so your 3 x is about right 😞 My car as a "comfort" was changed from Dual Mass to Single Mass early on in it's life, along with Mk 2 Six spot front calipers....

And Simon is right, fantastic throttle; response with the single mass. although I am also guilty of the stalling crap too...

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

My recent 6.1 GT3 clutch change and (unexpected) replacement of Single Mass flywheel, plus some "while it's out" engine bits came to around $12k, all ex Porsche, so your 3 x is about right 😞 My car as a "comfort" was changed from Dual Mass to Single Mass early on in it's life, along with Mk 2 Six spot front calipers....

Crickey Peter I hope there was more than a few engine bits in that bill :(. It can add up quickly when it comes to driveline on these cars, unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, GTP911 said:

below are the 4 links to the kits with prices 

https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/flywheel-and-clutch-packages/products/pkg964993rslwckpms

https://www.sharkwerks.com/transmission/p4056-porsche-lightweight-flywheel-clutch-upgrade-kit-for-996-997-997-2-gt3-rs-4-0-964-PORT154

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt376_1314_-cma81-cmo107/Porsche/964--911--1989-94/Flywheel---Torque/#

https://www.fvd.net/de-en/FVD116905/fvd-exclusive-clutch-kit-964-993-with-light-weight-flywheel-315-ft-lbs-max.html

4 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

That looks like a dual mass clutch kit.. not a lightweight fly will kit but thanks for sending 

42 minutes ago, tomo said:

All this stuff is fine , If your a track tragic,  Some people just like driving their Porsche whatever the model, Because they are a good car to drive , All the stuff that takes you away from a nice car to enjoy , puts you in a category where the car is only good for 1 thing, It's a track hack ;)

R  to drive

Fair enough I guess. Depends what your after… from all accounts this seems to be a nice upgrade for good throttle response from what I’ve read. Stalling “idle” can be fixed with a good tune. Easy peasy 

11 minutes ago, 911Gbanger said:

That looks like a dual mass clutch kit.. not a lightweight fly will kit but thanks for sending 

Fair enough I guess. Depends what your after… from all accounts this seems to be a nice upgrade for good throttle response from what I’ve read. Stalling “idle” can be fixed with a good tune. Easy peasy 

Steve Wong ?

7 hours ago, 911Gbanger said:

You need to click the clutch options there are a variety of options (including lightweight) 

15 hours ago, GTP911 said:

I’d buy that. Oem parts and a turnkey ‘one supplier’ job is worth it.  

FYI I have basically given up sourcing my own parts lately as they often have issues (including Porsche parts not being right when brand new in box) and then it’s ones own problem if you source and supply to the workshop…..and labour costs quickly balloon.  It’s the labour time I now work to manage.  Can be some really big expensive false economies if something isn’t the right part in the box when the cars at the workshop and you provide the parts, or has an issue……

• 1 year later...

When I purchased my 964 it had the light weight flywheel installed. The stalling issues (even with a Steve Wong chip installed) got old really quick. I mostly drive the car in metro areas and out in the hills, but not on the track, and therefore also tired of the more uncomfortable driving experience at lower RPMs. I eventually went back to Ninemeister's mid-weight fly wheel as a middle ground between the stock set up and the LWF and haven't regretted it for a second. Much more comfortable for daily driving, and I don't feel I've given up much in terms of performance or enjoyment when driving more aggressively. Two cons from my perspective though - (i) it's a pricey flywheel compared to others out there and (ii) it's made as a simple replacement part for the stock flywheel - changing from a LWF back to the midweight required a few extra parts/labour