DEEP 6 FUCHS - RESTORATION - HELP WITH VALVES PLEASE

Seventy911

So... you know you start trying to solve one problem and then.... we'll you end up somewhere else entirely.

I wanted a taller tire and I've been keen on the Pirelli CN36. From my research, this tire was homologated with Porsche to optimize chassis performance of these early cars (I know it's a tub but that seems to be the appropriate lingo!). Anyway. I have 6's and 7's on the rear with 205/50's. I love the look of staggered wheels but not the 50 series tires. Too restomod for me. Unfortunately though, the 185/70R15 CN36 on that 7" wheel won't fit under the body 😕...... No worries I wanted to find a set of deep 6's so now is the time! 

210FC097-819B-4348-846D-A05DC4024F13.jpeg

I found this matching date correct set for my car. This (above) is after stripping all the paint and cleaning up with a plastic wire wheel on the drill. Then a lot of sanding, painting, masking, more sanding, more painting, masking etc. they are done and I'm really happy with the outcome.

ED739AF6-7831-4CF9-A143-53FF23E5E2DC.jpeg

7609B929-F5A2-488E-9A3E-57655DA57A9E.jpeg

I 2k'd everything. Satin clear over the silver petals, gloss clear on the lip with the mask line as deep into the rim as possible.

So I need a bit of help now please 😳

What valve stems fit these deep 6's? The regular ones don't. I've read on PP forum that Napa make some that do but I really would appreciate hearing from someone who can point me at something available in Melbourne please.

Thanks so much!!

let me know if anyone would like to see a step by step on my Fuchs resto.... I'd be more thank happy to share.

Thanks LeeM and TDW911.

The silver is an awesome match to the original anodized finish and I was really getting a little disillusioned with finding a silver I'd be happy with. Then, sometimes you get lucky and talk to the right person who sorts you out. I bought all the paint and got a lot of advice from Mick at Perrows Auto Paint in Bendigo. I went into the store and told him what I was trying to do and he showed me this sliver... perfect!

This is a new anodized center cap with the silver off the gun. 

9E756552-4D64-4FAD-86F6-12F9D041D221.jpeg

Just to clarify...this is a new cap straight out of the box. I then hit the petals and caps together with satin clear (50% gloss) to finish.

This is the silver:

5D16D90A-CD43-4B5E-AB97-FD21A5A1A1B6.jpeg

2 hours ago, mrar said:

What valve stems fit these deep 6's? The regular ones don't. I've read on PP forum that Napa make some that do but I really would appreciate hearing from someone who can point me at something available in Melbourne please.

I've used tr415 stems with good results. 

Thank you mrar; that what I was looking for 👍😀

Hi 9er, I think your anodizing looks great. I understand that the anodizing does not give you a flawless finish in fact the slight mottling is due to the alloy forging. My painted finish is not perfect but I can tell you I'm really happy given my limited experience with spray painting and I would have, like you, have had to send these out of the country to be otherwise refinished.

Some of the most visible discolored areas on your wheels would be covered by black paint with more traditional masking. I'm certainly not a Fuchs expert so it might be that I haven't seen the black outs executed as yours are done.