Headlight restoration (Sanding tips)

CapnHyaku

I am trying to restore a pair of 996.2 headlights.  I have twice gone through the following steps and still ending up with fine scratches at the end.  The second time around I took longer on each step to be really sure I was not leaving scratches behind.

320, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000 grit. Polish and buff.

I am using 75mm discs wet with a drill pad.

After each step and spray and wipe with a fresh clean microfibre cloth.

Any tips?  I am finding even at 5000 grit it is still too cloudy to see what step I have gone wrong.

It looks OK from arm's length.  But up close, I think they are 800 grit scratches still left behind.

image.thumb.png.d09251f3501367fa553b40086849f577.png

image.thumb.png.a61ae7102e024fc0469a3cf70271dcac.png

8 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

I am trying to restore a pair of 996.2 headlights.  I have twice gone through the following steps and still ending up with fine scratches at the end.  The second time around I took longer on each step to be really sure I was not leaving scratches behind.

320, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000, 3000, 5000 grit. Polish and buff.

I am using 75mm discs wet with a drill pad.

After each step and spray and wipe with a fresh clean microfibre cloth.

Any tips?  I am finding even at 5000 grit it is still too cloudy to see what step I have gone wrong.

It looks OK from arm's length.  But up close, I think they are 800 grit scratches still left behind.

Pics did not work, 😢

9 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Macguires Plastx.  Foam cutting and wool pad polish.

Which product did you use?

Sounds like you are on top of it and maybe just need to persist a bit longer?

I used Juice Swirl Remover because I had it on hand.  However I was surprised how hard the plastic lens were and the time it took to achieve “clarity”.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up on the scratches.  I did use a cutting compound to get the finer scratches out but some deeper ones were left still.  They were not deep enough for a fingernail to catch, which was a metric followed by the guy at Repco as being not bad enough for the final 2K coat.  So what I found is when I applied the 3M film I am using at the UV protectant, the scratches vanished within the adhesive of the film.

Great result!

I did mine by hand and every time I changed grit I just sanded in a different direction. Top to bottom, then left to right etc. Worked well.

Did you source the 3M film locally? I'm about to do mine again and want to try it.

Cheers Jim.

Got the film from Paintgard.com.au

Keep in mind the size of the 996 lights, you need a 50cm by 50cm peice of film.

Start squeegee at the middle section between the fog and main light as there is a tricky set of shapes there to press into.

The brilliant thing is it's so easy to take the headlong on a 996 out to work on it seperate from the car.

On 28/12/2021 at 10:27, CapnHyaku said:

Got the film from Paintgard.com.au

Keep in mind the size of the 996 lights, you need a 50cm by 50cm peice of film.

Start squeegee at the middle section between the fog and main light as there is a tricky set of shapes there to press into.

The brilliant thing is it's so easy to take the headlong on a 996 out to work on it seperate from the car.

That’s why the fried egg exists.  The Toyota experts brought in to fix production costs worked out how much time would be saved with a single light unit that went in quickly.