99 996.1 C2 manual coupe on Collecting Cars

DT

Please excuse the double up post (with extras) but just in case anyone’s missed the post on the 996 marketplace thread:

I need to free up funds for a pending house build and have decided to give Collecting Cars a go selling my C2 manual coupe 996. Reserve is in the mid 60’s. 

- Yes the IMS has been done

- No it doesn’t have full log book history prior to my ownership

- Yes I’ve recently spent about 9.5k (inc. IMS bearing) on big ticket items at Auto Art. I’m confident they’ll vouch it’s a well sorted example. 

- Yes the bumpers have been resprayed!

- Yes it drives beautifully and sounds great with the Cargraphic exhaust and ‘orange cap’ mod to the intake with BMC panel filter (original intake parts, inc new OEM filter and exhaust with sale)

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1999-porsche-911-996-carrera-5

I’ll add that having owned (and some of my friends might say obsessively) cared for the car for almost six years now, I can confidently say that someone is going to get a very well sorted 996. Assuming regular oils changes and consumables like brakes and tyres ‘Bluey’ should give the new owner many years of enjoyable trouble-free motoring.

I’ve been known to be next level pedantic having previously restored classic Italian and French cars, one a concourse winner. The concourse days are over, but I’m still obsessive about ensuring my cars look and go as well (or better) than the original designers intended. Bluey looks sensational in the Ocean Blue Metallic. She proudly wears a little road rash to the underside of the sills from spirited driving and the odd minor blemish here and there, none of which detract from her overall straight, clean, gorgeous lines and finish. 

But really it’s all about the drive and I’ll share one example which I will forever cherish. On the way back from Hangar Banger I took a detour onto the great ocean road, had F n C’s at Apollo Bay and somehow got a near clear run from Apollo Bay on a clear evening, unheard of. It was one of the most sublime driving experiences I’ve ever had. Sun going down, windows and sunroof open, the lovely analogue, revvy nature of the 3.4 with the Cargraphic exhaust and sauced-up intake bouncing off the cliffs. l had the biggest grin on my face by the time I got to Torquay I had to massage my cheeks!

Whoever gets it is gonna love it. I will miss her greatly.

Yeah, surprised it didn’t reach reserve, thought it was pretty reasonable, I set it 10k less than a preeminent Porsche mechanic in Melbs thought the car was worth.

He was adamant I should keep it and that I’d struggle to find another one like it, so maybe this is a sign. Either way a re think’s in order… and have to say I’m pretty happy I get to enjoy it over the holidays!

Looks like a nice example with all the important things done.  I was surprised it didn't keep going towards the end, and wonder whether the mods might have limited the result.  Even though they're not over the top and are all things I'd be happy to have on my own car, I think there's a general preference for factory stock.  As Sepand mentioned, history might be a factor too.  Anyway, enjoy the car while it's still yours @DT

I understand some Porsche buyers are very fussy about original service books. I bought the car without the original service books as did the previous owner... were they lost, did the dog eat them, who knows.

Having no service history was liberating for me, I doubt I would've bought it otherwise. I enjoy servicing, restoring and modifying all my cars. I've been tied to stamps in books in the past and generally found I was spending a lot for very little.

I did the big spend at Auto Art prior to the auction thinking if the car had a thorough going over by an expert (including the IMS) prior to auction, potential buyers wouldn't have much to worry about when bidding. The car feels great now, but to be honest the car felt great prior to it going in. The old IMS is sitting on my desk next to me and it feels like a new bearing.

For what it's worth this is what I know about the history prior to my ownership:

- Sold new by Porsche Melbourne

- First service (Annual Service/Safety Check) November 1999 Porsche Centre Willoughby NSW

- Traded back to Porsche Centre Melbourne who sold the car to its second owner as a Porsche approved used car

- Serviced by PCM in 2003, listed as general service (no detailed records, as records purged after 10yrs) 

- PCM fitted a new pair of factory catalytic converters in 2012 and programmed a new key fob

- Sold to a forum member in Tasmania in approx Jan 2014, they then moved to QLD

- Bought by me in 01/03/2016 with 89,276kms on odometer

As for the mods, I get the whole original thing, guess it depends if someone's looking for a car to park in a garage or a car to carve up their favourite twisty's.

I have an Alfa 147 GTA and that thing literally needs everything modified before you'd even think about driving it properly.

Mate,

Looks like a nice example - shame it didnt meet reserve. I feel for ya!

Mods? What mods?

An Exhaust (lets be honest - a wear item on a car 20 years old) and the IMS (preventative maintenance no?) - Wowser - I'd hate to sell one of my cars then.....

Carsales it is? Be patient - there are ppl that appreciate a well looked after driver!

I have been reconsidering selling it and selling a couple of Alfa’s instead. But yes, if an appropriate offer came through it is for sale privately. I was anticipating I’d likely list it on Carsales in the new year. However there has been interest through the forum and it looks like this may not be necessary.