Boxster exhaust mod - twin exhaust (987 with seperate exhaust)

550Spyder

We have some pretty clever roosters on the forum who are reasonably handy on the tools.

in general Boxsters sound pretty underwhelming without an exhaust mod or replacement. Despite running fundamentally the same engine as the 911 in some Instances, they sound strangled. Surely one of the reasons for this is the 911 runs two independent exhausts (I.e. they don’t join up and exit independently with their own seperate pulse), where as the Boxster two seperate exhausts converge back together and the pulses smash into each other before exiting in the common exit.

has anyone tried a relatively simple mod that would be $50 or less, being to remove the standard converged centre exit, and slip on two simple (seperate) 90 degree mild steel extensions exits. I am curious to see if the simple act of having two independent exits may restore the missing 911 burble without having to resort to chopping and modifying exhausts or replacing units.

has anyone tried this relatively cheap and simple mod?

Actually, I don't believe the converged centre exit is the issue. I can only speak of my experience with 987 Boxster/Caymans and what Gert Carnewal has told me. And it depends on the generation of the 987. 

The 987.1 Boxster has a cat in the muffler (apart from one located in the headers). Removing it and some baffles in the muffler makes the exhaust sound louder and better. 

While the 987.2 has both cats in series in the headers, hence, removal of baffles in the muffler doesn't lead to a louder sounding exhaust. The solution in the case of the Gen 2 987s is to replace both cats with 200 cell sport cats (factory cats are 400 cell). A friend of mine changed the stock exhaust tip pipes on his 987.2 Cayman S with the Fabspeed x-pipe exhaust tip pipes and he reported that there was no difference in sound or performance.

9 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

We have some pretty clever roosters on the forum who are reasonably handy on the tools.

in general Boxsters sound pretty underwhelming without an exhaust mod or replacement. Despite running fundamentally the same engine as the 911 in some Instances, they sound strangled. Surely one of the reasons for this is the 911 runs two independent exhausts (I.e. they don’t join up and exit independently with their own seperate pulse), where as the Boxster two seperate exhausts converge back together and the pulses smash into each other before exiting in the common exit.

has anyone tried a relatively simple mod that would be $50 or less, being to remove the standard converged centre exit, and slip on two simple (seperate) 90 degree mild steel extensions exits. I am curious to see if the simple act of having two independent exits may restore the missing 911 burble without having to resort to chopping and modifying exhausts or replacing units.

I had welded 2 separate 90 degree pipes with steel end tips on my 987.1 . Looks great and gives you a bit more of a crackle here and there. The real difference comes with the Carnewal exhaust. Burble and crackle , overrun , amazing sound under revs , but tame in traffic on low revs. I love the Sound , was well worth it for me . 

B1C37659-0418-4814-971C-15214D33202A.jpeg

13 hours ago, 550Spyder said:

550, I'm unsure if your suggestion would make much difference ....

Here's my post to Michel back in Feb, the exhaust sound here is pretty accurate, a cheap mod and a great sound on a 3.2

https://imgur.com/a/Bfrd758

Or click on the movie file to open and download

IMG_3407.MOV92.6 MB · 6 downloads

1" pipes welded from exhaust pipes into tail pipes,

And also 1" holes in all baffles.

Done by punching sharpened 1" x 12"  bolt (Bunnings) inside the  tail pipes. Don't try drilling as it is a PITA and will take you an hour of frustration. 

Try and hit the bolt in as best you can at a 90 degree angle to the muffler as the first baffle is curved.

Complete the first application of "punching" with sharpened 5'8 x 12"  bolt and then repeat with 1" bolt. 

Don't hit the bolts in as far as possible or you'll go through the back of the muffler, only go in as far as the bolt head level with the end of exhaust tip, maybe even not that far. II's a series of hitting the bolt in 3 or 4 inches, then wobbling wrenching it back out, then hitting in further, then wrenching back out etc etc.

F all $$$$, no drone at any speed, and glorious noise!