Ran when parked

Hi Everyone, I think the expression is 'Ran when parked'. About 5 years ago I caught up with an old school friend from our senior year in 1973. One day he said to me 'Do you want to buy a Porsche?'. Timing wasn't good. My beloved wife of 43 years was dying of brain cancer. Anyway, I have bought the Porsche. 1974 (73 build) 911 Targa. He hit a curb in 2014, bent one of the BBS rims, the tyre went flat and he never drove it again. Not a barn find, but an under-the-house find in an inner-Brisbane suburb not a million miles from Southbank. It's now in my shed, undergoing a re-commission before I try and start it.

I am no stranger to classic cars, owning several of the Italian persuasion. I have learnt a lot from this forum. Let's see how the Porsche ownership pans out.

Welcome aboard Ian, sounds like you're going to have a few challenges but well worth while for miles of smiles.

Your comment about your wife touched me mate, hope you came through as best you could......wish we could tell cancer to FUCH OFF out of our lives!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Stepo (and others for the welcome),

Jen died at home as she wished on the 27th July 2021. The day after her funeral I was told I needed 6 and a half weeks of radiation. I had my prostate out in 2020, but traces of cancer remained. I have a huge amount of support from family & friends, but Christmas was a bit ordinary this year.

I get the feeling cancer has touched you in some way, too?

Anyway, the 911 is up on the hoist in my shed. I wasn't going to look under it before Christmas holidays, but I did, and found no unpleasant surprises. Going to drop the motor & gearbox out for close inspection/recommissioning as required.

The big C does not discriminate! Sadly, it touches many people.

Anyways....glad to hear you are on the path to P-car goodness. Plenty of knowledgeable people here and even more willing to help!

I also suspect, whatever roadblock you may come across, the collective will be willing and able to assist you ;) 

22 hours ago, P-Kay said:

The big C does not discriminate! Sadly, it touches many people.

Sincerest condolences Ian. Unfortunately I'd say the list of people who haven't been affected either directly, family member or friends would be extremely short. 

I lost my wife to Neuroendocrine carcinoma now just over 5 years ago and was a major impetus to buying my 911. We had discussed buying one but kept putting it off with the thought we will buy it 'one day'... Makes you realise that there is no guarantee of tomorrow and to not put things off till later if possible.

I look forward to following your posts as you get your car back on the road!

Good day today. Got all the exhaust flange nuts undone. No broken studs. Hope this is a good omen.

About 1 litre of oil drained from the oil tank, and about 8 litres from the motor. I presume this is normal for a motor that has not run for 7 years?

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2022 at 19:51, IanDD said:

Good day today. Got all the exhaust flange nuts undone. No broken studs. Hope this is a good omen.

About 1 litre of oil drained from the oil tank, and about 8 litres from the motor. I presume this is normal for a motor that has not run for 7 years?

yes that sounds about right, any updates?