Plane engined 356

tomo

Ron Goodmans car.

I wanted to meet Ron when he was visiting SA earlier this year, as he's just a bloody good bloke (as most know), and we had a chat for a few hours about many things including this project. The radial engine engineering is just bonkers, and as Ron is a staunch supporter of anything made in Australia, he was one of the first to jump onboard with the project to fit a radial engine to one if his 356's. One of the main financiers of the Radial project also dropped in to see Ron, and it is mind boggling to think what had to be put in place just to start the company up. I had no idea what the hell they were talking about, but it sounded impressive. I've also spoken to the engineers about the project, and it has the potential for some serious horsepower which they're keeping very close to their chest.

Check out Ron's Instagram page to see how the car looks now, as it's been plumbed for N.O.S and the interior is like a fighter jet, all digital gauges to replicate the 356 and the steering wheel is just nuts.

Have a good look around his whole page for more details, yet here's a teaser if what's to come

4 hours ago, tomo said:

Yeah, that little 3 cylinder Joby delivers 95 KW per pot, sheezze 385 KW pushing the 356 would be a hell of a lot of fun . :)

I think it is 95kw per litre in supercharged guise from my bleary eyed read of their website late last night. They’ve got hypo versions running 10k+ rpm in development and by the sounds of it there are quite a few variations upcoming.

Interesting project.

13 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

But wasn’t the original engine developed from an  aircraft engine ?

Basically yes, like any other internal combustion engine has been redesigned/improved upon. Radial engines are donkeys years old, so it's just the basic concept that's there to base their ideas on.

All the engineering has been done in house, and it's been 'over engineered' to be reliable for more horsepower in the future. A few months ago, one of the engineers told me it's probably reliably putting out up to 200hp, yet I reckon he was being cagey.  There's not only vehicle applications (the 356, a Beetle test car, and a recently completed Kombi), but there's also interest from the Australian and US defence to use in drones and what not

4 minutes ago, sleazius said:

I think it is 95kw per litre in supercharged guise from my bleary eyed read of their website late last night. They’ve got hypo versions running 10k+ rpm in development and by the sounds of it there are quite a few variations upcoming.

Interesting project.

Radial Motion’s motor is compact, internally rather simple and capable of some impressive power figures: naturally-aspirated, it’s good for about 95kW per litre , not pot typo

My son is a lead engineer on this project @ Bespoke…… To say I’m proud of him is an understatement!  Add in a bit of jealousy that he gets to play with such cool stuff and meet guys like Ron ( whom he reckons is a ripper bloke).  They are really onto something with this engine 

On 19/12/2021 at 15:52, tomo said:
10 hours ago, Merv said:

I wonder which gearbox and clutch he uses to control that power?

& It would need a decent brake upgrade too! I’d sure love to see this thing going at full throttle though! 

7 hours ago, Merv said:

I wonder which gearbox and clutch he uses to control that power?

Ron does not do things by halves mate. He did tell me about the gearbox being custom built to handle big horsepower, but I couldn't tell you what's been done. Know it's got titanium axles and gawd knows what else made of the stuff, but that's about it