Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SteveF

Calling all 924 Turbo Gurus - Help Requested

Recommended Posts

Due to an unfortunate sequence of events I have an early Christmas pressie, the head gasket in my 924 has given up the ghost and will need replacing!

Before heading down the mechanic route I wanted to see if there is anyone out there in PFA land who would be able to and interested in helping with the repair? I would be happy to supply food, beers etc. and have access to tools. I wouldn't say I am handy with a spanner but willing to learn/help in any way I can. I'm based in NW Sydney but are happy to chat with anyone, local or interstate and work something out regarding payment.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am no guru but i am prepared to come down and help in any way i can Steve, just reach out as i am semi-retired now and will always make time for a mate:wub:

 

PS, It's just a an old van engine right? Can't be that hard can it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Bored already @TINGY? 😁

Onya 👍

Not bored yet mate, lovin' it, I had a job but not much work at the moment. I've had 2 job offers but I knocked them back, it was so satisfying to do that:D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,

If you were a bit closer I'd be happy to help!

Just in preparation and bearing in mind I know SFA about these engines:

Parts on hand as there maybe some lead time involved. Gaskets also for the manifolds, cam cover, maybe the other exhaust flange gaskets and any other seals that will likely need replacing?  Will it need a new timing chain/belt while you are there?  New coolant hoses?

Will the head have to be reconditioned while it's off?  Did the head gasket fail because it's been overheated? Whilst you won't know if the head will need to be skimmed until it is checked with a straight edge, it may be the time for a valve job and new stem seals while it is off.

New water pump?

 

Happy to chat if that helps

@TINGY - What's this "semi retired" bit?  Isn't retirement like pregnancy, either you are or you are not!? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TINGY said:

I am no guru but i am prepared to come down and help in any way i can Steve, just reach out as i am semi-retired now and will always make time for a mate:wub:

 

PS, It's just a an old van engine right? Can't be that hard can it.

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. I will give you a call. Bloody fast van engine!

6 hours ago, Peter M said:

Steve,

If you were a bit closer I'd be happy to help!

Just in preparation and bearing in mind I know SFA about these engines:

Parts on hand as there maybe some lead time involved. Gaskets also for the manifolds, cam cover, maybe the other exhaust flange gaskets and any other seals that will likely need replacing?  Will it need a new timing chain/belt while you are there?  New coolant hoses?

Will the head have to be reconditioned while it's off?  Did the head gasket fail because it's been overheated? Whilst you won't know if the head will need to be skimmed until it is checked with a straight edge, it may be the time for a valve job and new stem seals while it is off.

New water pump?

 

Happy to chat if that helps

@TINGY - What's this "semi retired" bit?  Isn't retirement like pregnancy, either you are or you are not!? 

Thanks Pete. I appreciate your reply. 

Yes, I believe overheating was the cause. I have already ordered the full gasket kit and that will be here in the next week. The majority of the hoses, timing belt and water pump have been replaced not that long ago (last 12 months)  so I am hoping they won't need to be done again. I am hoping that it will be a case of removing the head, getting it skimmed and do the values and stem seals as you mentioned. No doubt there will be something else to do whilst in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is that you can do the head gasket with the engine still in the car.  Getting the turbo unbolted was the most difficult part of my gasket replacement many years ago ... that's because someone decided that the turbo nuts should be welded. 

If the gasket failure was due to overheating, I would recommend having the head inspected.  Too much work getting them on and off to have the gasket blow after a month of driving. 

When I rebuilt my engine a few years back, one of my crank rods was bent, which I believe occurred when someone cranked the engine full of coolant.  Since then, I've read this is a relatively common outcome.  Might be worth checking when the head is off ... no expert however I'd set up a dial gauge and check piston movement for each piston.  If one is different, might warrant further investigation. 

Hint - take lots of photos of all the auxillary equipment as you remove it.  Makes it much easier when you are putting it back together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2021 at 16:46, Peter M said:

 

@TINGY - What's this "semi retired" bit?  Isn't retirement like pregnancy, either you are or you are not!? 

Pregnancy? I guess I know what you are saying lol. I am looking for a unicorn job Pete, set my own hours and what days I work, sadly, no one has agreed to my terms/demands. At 57 I don't really care one way or the other if I find work but it will top up the Porsche fund if I do.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TINGY said:

Pregnancy? I guess I know what you are saying lol. I am looking for a unicorn job Pete, set my own hours and what days I work, sadly, no one has agreed to my terms/demands. At 57 I don't really care one way or the other if I find work but it will top up the Porsche fund if I do.:D

I quit about 3 months ago now.  I'm reliably informed by the retirees I have lunch with every week that the urge to look for or consider re-employment even part time and the guilt of not working subsides after about 6 months.

What I wasn't prepared for was how quickly the days go by now!

So I think we both just need to hang in there to become successful retirees.  That doesn't sound too hard does it!

We also need to start thinking about organising another drive.  It's been a long time!  Maybe when Steve gets his car going again?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Peter M said:

 

What I wasn't prepared for was how quickly the days go by now!

Actually, what day is it?B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TINGY said:

Actually, what day is it?B)

At this time of year who knows. I just ate some leftover pavlova that still tasted alright so I figure it can’t be Wednesday yet …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JWM said:

At this time of year who knows. I just ate some leftover pavlova that still tasted alright so I figure it can’t be Wednesday yet …

I'm sure Steve will be happy to get you some fresh Pavlova if you get over to his and help rebuild his engine..

Just say'n .. :cool07:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I'm sure Steve will be happy to get you some fresh Pavlova if you get over to his and help rebuild his engine..

Better off sticking the pavlova under the bonnet than having me ”help” rebuild an engine … 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JWM said:

Better off sticking the pavlova under the bonnet than having me ”help” rebuild an engine … 😅

So it's settled then .. no pavlova for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After checking with my regular mechanic, he is not able to take on any extra jobs for a while so wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good mechanic who is preferably in or near the Castle Hill area so I could get it done earlier? 

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SteveF said:

After checking with my regular mechanic, he is not able to take on any extra jobs for a while so wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good mechanic who is preferably in or near the Castle Hill area so I could get it done earlier? 

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Just sent you a text 

 

HNY 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...