Electric A/C Install

MFX

14 hours ago, WOKA said:

Whats the dolla' value on the kit.?  I could use the Googles I guess but hey, its Christmas Eve and I'm lazy...

Here you go.  Wouldn’t want you to strain a finger at Christmas, especially the ring pull finger 🤣  Merry Christmas

https://www.classicretrofit.com/collections/electric-air-conditioning

I did a price check exercise last night on the parts that I would like, ie; kit with double condenser, alternator, kit and fuse panel /CDI kit  with last nights exchange rate it worked out at $9651.31 plus freight and customs.

I’d probably go Haltech or something similar instead of the CDI.

Damn...forgot to ask Santa for the winning lotto numbers 🥺

On 24/12/2021 at 16:32, WOKA said:

Whats the dolla' value on the kit.?  I could use the Googles I guess but hey, its Christmas Eve and I'm lazy...

Yeah, it is not cheap, but it is a very well sorted kit. One of the big things I will be tackling is the vents and air flow in the cabin and also a 911 is a big fish bowl so tinting will also make a big difference. More to come on all that ;)

3 hours ago, MFX said:

Yeah, it is not cheap, but it is a very well sorted kit. One of the big things I will be tackling is the vents and air flow in the cabin and also a 911 is a big fish bowl so tinting will also make a big difference. More to come on all that ;)

On my prev car I elected for "clear tint"... it had a very slight tint factor but the reduction in heat through the sides and rear was amazing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to convince him to tint the windscreen. On these old 911, we sit so close to the front screen, that a bunch of heat comes comes straight through into your face. If I was game, I would remove the screen, and take it to someone to tint, then reinstall. 

On 26/12/2021 at 11:22, Mike D'Silva said:

On my prev car I elected for "clear tint"... it had a very slight tint factor but the reduction in heat through the sides and rear was amazing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to convince him to tint the windscreen. On these old 911, we sit so close to the front screen, that a bunch of heat comes comes straight through into your face. If I was game, I would remove the screen, and take it to someone to tint, then reinstall. 

I have found the same thing. I get so burned through the front screen of the car it is crazy. I will see if I can convince the guy ;)

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I have found the same thing. I get so burned through the front screen of the car it is crazy. I will see if I can convince the guy ;)

UVB rays, the primary sunburn ray, are largely blocked by glass; but more than 50 percent of UVA rays, the main cause of premature skin aging, can penetrate glass.

6 hours ago, MFX said:

After reading Mike's post, I asked a mate here who does tinting if he'd do it. No if it's with who he works for, and 'Probably' if it was a cashy job, but he doesn't exist and won't admit anything if you get nicked/defected, as it's illegal to tint a full windscreen. Only a strip of 10% can be tinted

8 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

For those of use with an oil cooler in the front right wheel arch, does that prevent a condenser from being fitted in that location?

Yes. Mine just has the lines that go to my front mounted oil cooler and it was super tight. It is also an issue for 69-73 which have the second battery box in the front left. You can mount them in the left rear wheel arch though, one in front and one behind the wheel.

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

After reading Mike's post, I asked a mate here who does tinting if he'd do it. No if it's with who he works for, and 'Probably' if it was a cashy job, but he doesn't exist and won't admit anything if you get nicked/defected, as it's illegal to tint a full windscreen. Only a strip of 10% can be tinted

Some moron tinted the front screen of the Roxster and it was a death trap at night. I am guessing that was 35% tint on the windscreen though and 5% on the sides. 

3 hours ago, MFX said:

Some moron tinted the front screen of the Roxster and it was a death trap at night. I am guessing that was 35% tint on the windscreen though and 5% on the sides. 

Reckon it wasn't just the tint that made that car a death trap mate 😅

Ac is expensive to sort on a non AC car.  You can do it cheaper if you have access to existing components that are still good.  You won’t get the trick fan box though.  There is the half-kit which uses factory Evap and blower but with elec compressor.  Still need to factor in the bigger alternator though.

Their elec heat kit has taken a while to show up.  That will be popular when it drops.

• 2 weeks later...

Try coating the polyurethane with a layer of fibre glass before putting the vinyl over the top.  I used polyurethane to shape flares and spoilers before making the moulds.  Similar to making surf boards. You could use a thin layer of foam over the fibre glass before covering if you want that soft feel.

Lots of fiddling...good luck.

Are you going to continue the dashboard theme to doors and side panels? 

18 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Try coating the polyurethane with a layer of fibre glass before putting the vinyl over the top.  I used polyurethane to shape flares and spoilers before making the moulds.  Similar to making surf boards. You could use a thin layer of foam over the fibre glass before covering if you want that soft feel.

Lots of fiddling...good luck.

Are you going to continue the dashboard theme to doors and side panels? 

I was hoping I could do it without fibre glassing it but I don't think I can get away without now.

6 hours ago, Peter M said:

Jeff, love the bench grinder idea, I'll steal that too!

As soon as I saw that bench grinder idea I thought it was brilliant. great way to have it quick to hand but then out of the way again.

5 hours ago, MFX said:

I was hoping I could do it without fibre glassing it but I don't think I can get away without now.

You could try gluing layers of poly then shaping then covering, may give enough strength for the job.

5 hours ago, MFX said:

As soon as I saw that bench grinder idea I thought it was brilliant. great way to have it quick to hand but then out of the way again.

Reminds me of my grandmothers Singer...