Electric A/C Install

MFX

2 hours ago, Smussato said:

Hey Jeff, are you going to be doing a part 3 on the aircon kit with results etc in near future :)? Thanks mate!

I will when I have it all back together. The dash vents are all part of it ;)

33 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

I see I'm not the only one who thinks that bench grinder idea is genius! I know what I'm doing this weekend! Jeff do you have a link to the channel you got the idea from?

@Carrera28 posted a link to the same video I  got it from here 

He has some really thought out solutions. I thought I would skip through the hour long video, but it was too good ;)

Ha I would have made new window crank handles which are shorter ... or converted to electric windows.  I guess that explains why the pre-86 cars slope away from the door and have the tiny little vents.

Also...missing a trim piece to hold the fuel flap release handle in place?

• 1 month later...

I’d be interested to know what the night vision is like, particularly when reversing, with the clear tint.  Dark tint makes it hard to see at night.

Try Rainex on the windscreen. I put it on my car when I was in Darwin during the wet and found that I didn’t need the wipers, even in a cyclonic downpour. Works well on aircraft windshields too and their wipers are pretty useless.

The fan switch moving is caused by cable hysteresis.  Inner and outer cables not matched in length particularly where there are tight bends.  May just be a matter of unclipping the outer the outer cable behind the switch and adjusting.  You could also replace the slider with a rotary switch. It would solve that vent issue.

The speedo.  I saw an American hot rod show where they replaced the original speedo with a classic look GPS speedo.  They could change wheel diameters and tyre profiles and still have an accurate speedo.  I don’t know whether this is available for 911s.  May be worth a Google if your speedo is going to be an ongoing issue.

Curious to know whether you opened one of the rear side windows when you had the AC on.  May improved the airflow, just like a house evaporative AC needs doors or windows slightly open to improve airflow.. My AC guy suggested replacing all the internally corrugated tubing with smooth wall tubing.  He did it to a truck and the owner said it was a big improvement.  He described the Porsche system as a dog’s breakfast.

Hydraulic clutch effort could be bore size ratios.

Well, that’s my useless comments.  Have fun 😀

3 hours ago, OZ930 said:

I’d be interested to know what the night vision is like, particularly when reversing, with the clear tint.  Dark tint makes it hard to see at night.

Try Rainex on the windscreen. I put it on my car when I was in Darwin during the wet and found that I didn’t need the wipers, even in a cyclonic downpour. Works well on aircraft windshields too and their wipers are pretty useless.

The fan switch moving is caused by cable hysteresis.  Inner and outer cables not matched in length particularly where there are tight bends.  May just be a matter of unclipping the outer the outer cable behind the switch and adjusting.  You could also replace the slider with a rotary switch. It would solve that vent issue.

The speedo.  I saw an American hot rod show where they replaced the original speedo with a classic look GPS speedo.  They could change wheel diameters and tyre profiles and still have an accurate speedo.  I don’t know whether this is available for 911s.  May be worth a Google if your speedo is going to be an ongoing issue.

Curious to know whether you opened one of the rear side windows when you had the AC on.  May improved the airflow, just like a house evaporative AC needs doors or windows slightly open to improve airflow.. My AC guy suggested replacing all the internally corrugated tubing with smooth wall tubing.  He did it to a truck and the owner said it was a big improvement.  He described the Porsche system as a dog’s breakfast.

Hydraulic clutch effort could be bore size ratios.

Well, that’s my useless comments.  Have fun 😀

I used to have a car with 5% tint on the side windows and it was a nightmare to drive at night. We will see with the clear stuff.

I had rainex on the window (I applied it every time I cleaned the bugs off) and it is great on the freeway with no cars in front, but in more traffic even at speed the water beaded but just stayed put, and didn't run off so it was pretty terrible. I have since fixed the wipers as it seems one of the wires to the wiper motor broke off and was grounding.

I will play with the fan switch, but I will just put in a 'high' fan switch as an easy work around.

The speedo I will fix properly. I could change to a later electric speedo as I have a speed output I made with a hall effect sensor reading the drive shaft bolts which enables my cruise. It is mostly the asking price of $1k for a speedo just because I am too lazy to pull the engine again I can't justify.

With the clutch, I can't really change the bore sizes as it already uses pretty much the entire throw to engage and disengage, hence why the longer pedal is the go.

7 hours ago, Coastr said:

Prob some lessons in n the AC fiddling to reflect on while still building the Alfa.  Fan airflow is king in the older cars because they don’t have the vent size.  Worth checking to see if the Alfa has enough air moving capability.

Bigger vents are not necessarily better as they may push more air but actually lose velocity so the effect can be worse.

On 25/12/2021 at 06:54, OZ930 said:

Here you go.  Wouldn’t want you to strain a finger at Christmas, especially the ring pull finger 🤣  Merry Christmas

https://www.classicretrofit.com/collections/electric-air-conditioning

I did a price check exercise last night on the parts that I would like, ie; kit with double condenser, alternator, kit and fuse panel /CDI kit  with last nights exchange rate it worked out at $9651.31 plus freight and customs.

I’d probably go Haltech or something similar instead of the CDI.

Damn...forgot to ask Santa for the winning lotto numbers 🥺

Bloody hell you could by a cheap hot hatch with working ac for that?

there are plenty of other things I’d rather spend just shy of 10k on for my g series.

JR

13 minutes ago, reedminor said:

there are plenty of other things I’d rather spend just shy of 10k on for my g series.

JR

Yeah, I totally get what you are saying. But I really think if my a/c 911 had working aircon (and heat) it would make it just so much more enjoyable all year round. 

Luckily up on Qld, the a/c issue is perhaps 2 months... when we get over 35 deg. But now, with temps in the high 20s, a/c isn't required and it doesn't get cold enough to need heat.

My impending road trip to Tas is a little harder to get excited about, since Tassie seems to throw boiling hot and freezing cold temps, seemingly at any time!

6 hours ago, reedminor said:

JR

It is definitely not cheap, but it makes the car so much more useable more of the time. Once you have had an aircooled for a while, you sometimes may find yourself thinking of taking it but you end up opting for the 'easy' car with creature comforts. 

I also think it is not really money down the drain as I think it adds value to your car on the other end if you ever decide to sell it.

Car with working effective AC is worth more to buyers, no doubt.   Mike - 2 months a year in Qld?  I run my AC year round in the daily to keep constant humidity inside.  When I finally finish the 911 AC I’ll use it way more than 2 months a year.

$10k is a lot, but you can get working AC for cheaper.  The good part of the classic retrofit kit is that it solves the problem of how to get it in a RHd car because the Porsche under floor evap box is hard to find and not particularly great.   You can get a partial classic retrofit kit which uses a conventional compressor (cheap, effective) with their trick evap box / blower unit. You could price that up.