roof not working

Kevin Sutton

I’ve got a 2008 987... soon after I bought it, a bracket in the roof snapped (loud crack sound) and the roof just stopped mid way, couldn’t move it.

long story short, it could be as simple as a bracket in the roof frame has come loose or has bent or got stuck somewhere. The frame is quite fragile in a sense and if it gets twisted or severely bumped somewhere in its history  it may eventually succumb and get out of alignment to a point of being stuck. it’s just my theory mind you based on what PCB described to me in analyzing what happened to my roof. Ie. A bracket got slightly bent over time and eventually buckled and snapped. Not knowing history it could be from a bump or hit etc... that threw it out.

With yours it sounds more like something has just come loose or just got bent. Motor whirring but no lift....

the other thing PCB told me was there’s 2 motors one on each side, it could be that one has lost power?? With only 1 motor maybe not enough lift? 

on the repair or replace side I couldn’t live with the constant anxiety each time I open or close the roof  on whether  it would get stuck yet again while I’m out away somewhere or when it’s raining.. so I bit the bullet and got Porsche here in Brighton vic to replace the whole roof not repair it. they would only warranty the repaired part, if repaired only. not thewhole  roof ... So it was peace of mind and resale value . 

Are you ready for the next bit now... how much was it to replace the whole roof, philbee I pre-emptively ask on your behalf?? A very painful 8k. Ouch!! 

maybe none of this helps, sorry can’t be more helpful.

Philbee 

The roofs are fitted with a nylon ball joint in several places - this easily fractures and may be the cause - replace the nylon ball joint with a metal one, even if this is not the main problem as it is a design fault. You can see them in any parts diagram.

Let me know if this is not clear.