Car covers for towing.

3legs

Hi, does anyone know if there are tightly strectched car covers that are good for towing and if so where can I get one made up.

Would be nice if it was in Adelaide.

To be honest it's not for a car but for a show bike.

If they do make them, how are they when the wind buffets them. Does it leave marks on the paint work?

I have my own custom trailer for the bike but room is at a premium hence why I can't build an enclosure for the bike.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

42 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Hi, does anyone know if there are tightly strectched car covers that are good for towing and if so where can I get one made up.

Would be nice if it was in Adelaide.

To be honest it's not for a car but for a show bike.

If they do make them, how are they when the wind buffets them. Does it leave marks on the paint work?

I have my own custom trailer for the bike but room is at a premium hence why I can't build an enclosure for the bike.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Car covers and bike covers are not much good when taking on a stiff Breeze,  Not alone getting towed, So I don't know how you will go, Odly enough I have been in a situation where paint and chrome had to be trailered home, So I used bubble wrap and 100 mile an hr tape with a tarp over that, lasted 400 miles got the bike home safe :)

I definitely wouldn't use a car cover on a trailer. The fabric flapping will definitely mark the paint. It is surprising how well the tow car actually shields the car (or bike) on an open trailer. In my opinion leaving it open would do less damage than trying to wrap it in anything, as long as you pick good weather of course ;)

Unfortunately enclosed trailers are the only way to go.  Anything that is in contact with the bike (or car) is going to damage it if subjected to the wind when towing in an open vehicle.  Go for a solid enclosure of some sort or just run it open.  I've never had any damage to a bike when towing in an open trailer, although my bikes are 'riders' so a chip here or there is not noticed in among the rest of them.  If it's a super-duper show bike that's had a lot of effort/money thrown at it, then making / borrowing / hiring an enclosed unit is likely the best option.  I only have a basic box trailer and have towed regularly with that, but I have also borrowed a couple of different enclosed trailers for certain occasions.  Enclosed is so much better.

Yeah the more research I do the less I like the idea of any cover touching the bike.

The bike is actually a show sidecar outfit so it takes up all available space on the trailer.

The trailer I made specifically to fit the outfit gets stowed vertically in my shed so I'm thinking I will have to make some removable sides and get a canvas cover made up for it. 

I will probably ride it more than tow it. It will mainly be towed for any interstate shows.

Thanks anyway guys.

It's a nice luxury to just roll them in, strap down and close the door.  Nothing can disappear or blow away, bikes can only fall over, not out, etc.  Enclosed also keeps prying eyes away, although that might also mean the odd scumbag will think there's something more attractive to strip and sell (ie Harley etc) than my old obscure things. :) 

The worst thing I found about using a (borrowed) enclosed trailer was the fear of the actual trailer being knocked off.  The bloody things are worth a fortune, more than some of the bikes I had in it.  Worst was the one I borrowed from the son of a workmate who died some years back.  Dad had made the trailer and done a typically immaculate job of it, so if anything happened to it while in my possession I would have been mortified.  At big race meetings ie the Barry Sheene or Island Classic, the trailers are all parked over the back or on the skidpan, with not many people about.  I was always relieved at the end of the meeting to find it still there!

In your case BTW, some fabricated frames (ala Porsce Roof Transport System for P content) and a canvas cover as you say is going to work well and pack away reasonably well.

That was the other drama with a typical fully enclosed one - bulky to store and pretty heavy on a normal car.  The rear suspension on my Saab 9-5 Aero Sportwagon didn't like it! :)