Cannot remove the key from the Ignition

I have a 2005 Boxster 987 and I am not able to remove my key from the ignition without using the OE tool supplied.

I am getting a message saying move selector lever to P , but the indicator on the dash is indicating it is in park. 

can someone please help me with this. 

Kevin

IMG_0682.jpg

Edited by Kevin Sutton
added photo

I don't know too much about Auto. I think you have a switch of some sort on the side of the gearbox , which might have failed. Computer now does not get the message that the car is in park. Best shot is to book into repair shop. Have you tried to remove key in neutral position? When you are in 'Park" , no handbreak , can you push the car or not? That would give you a clue whether or not the car is really in park . I guess your best shot for info is the internet , you tube , etc. Sorry , not much help, good luck with it.👍

I found this on the Planet9 forum

Something to try. Since its a potential security issue leaving the key in the ignition, reach into the fuse box and you will find a thin metal rod/wire. On the ignition barrel and beside the slot you will find a small door. Flip this open and insert the rod to release the key.

Here is the site if you want to explore more

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/key-stuck-in-ignition-switch.15619/

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

I found this on the Planet9 forum

Something to try. Since its a potential security issue leaving the key in the ignition, reach into the fuse box and you will find a thin metal rod/wire. On the ignition barrel and beside the slot you will find a small door. Flip this open and insert the rod to release the key.

Here is the site if you want to explore more

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/key-stuck-in-ignition-switch.15619/

sounds more like tutorial to explode a bomb💣:Chuckle2:

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2022 at 16:53, Kevin Sutton said:

I have a 2005 Boxster 987 and I am not able to remove my key from the ignition without using the OE tool supplied.

I am getting a message saying move selector lever to P , but the indicator on the dash is indicating it is in park. 

can someone please help me with this. 

Kevin

IMG_0682.jpg

what was your outcome out of all of this? Did you manage to sort it?