Porsche IPO - are you buying?

twro

It's been reported (NY Times, AFR) that Volkswagen is planning / considering an IPO of the Porsche brand.

"Volkswagen said it was considering hiving off its profitable Porsche division into a separate company with its own stock listing. The transaction would help the automaker raise money to invest in electric vehicles while also potentially returning more control of the high-performance carmaker to descendants of its founder."

Will be interested if it is true. It would be nice if they rewarded current owners with some shares for their loyalty :)

https://www.afr.com/companies/manufacturing/volkswagen-plans-ipo-of-porsche-brand-20220223-p59ytf (sorry, paywall)

Haven't read the article, but investing into a car manufacturer with all the headwinds they currently face, no matter what brand, isn't something I'd consider lightly.

Keep in mind that the EU is actively legislating against their business model currently.

In answer to your question, no, I won't be buying their stock. Cars yes, stock, no.

They would be selling it as current sales would probably have a pretty high valuation, and VW probably anticipate similar headwinds.

With that said I can't see Porsche operating as singular entity publicly traded would be good for customers who are used to a brand which focuses on quality and has a long term view.

I haven’t read the article but have heard the rumour elsewhere - one of the critical points will be to understand if VW is listing 100% of Porsche or a minority stake - word on the street is it’s the latter which is not surprising given the platform & technology sharing across the VW Group so likely not an attractive place to be!