Chrome stripping using bleach

rafikdous

I have 3 piece wheels. The centres are original 15" Fuchs (magnesium?) the rims are aluminium.

The chrome is pretty ordinary and flaking everywhere. I just want to strip the chrome because I am going for the anodised look.

The platers needs 4 to 6 weeks to strip them, I am not interested in waiting that long.

Read online I can use house hold bleach to soaking the wheels for a day then the chrome will come off.

Will the bleach cause any damage to the magnesium centre or the aluminium rims?

51 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

I have 3 piece wheels. The centres are original 15" Fuchs (magnesium?) the rims are aluminium.

The chrome is pretty ordinary and flaking everywhere. I just want to strip the chrome because I am going for the anodised look.

The platers needs 4 to 6 weeks to strip them, I am not interested in waiting that long.

Read online I can use house hold bleach to soaking the wheels for a day then the chrome will come off.

Will the bleach cause any damage to the magnesium centre or the aluminium rims?

Nope.  Chrome plating will not be affected by bleach or sodium hydroxide (lye)

To remove chrome properly a plater will reverse the polarity in the chrome bath and gently erode the chrome back into the solution.  The unfortunate result of chroming and chrome removal  is embrittlement and potential early fatigue cracking. 

Chrome can also be removed by sand blasting with a really aggressive and sharp grit, but on alloy you'll be left with a nightmare surface to restore.