How to find original build info

Stu

Hi team, I am looking to buy an older Porsche but the two I’m looking at  the current owners don’t have enough info for me to be certain what I am buying. Is there a website or app that I can enter a VIN into to get the original build info?

also how many digits did the early 911’s have I presume not the 17 we have now?

thanks for any help!

Porsche VIN 1980 (10 Digits)

For 1980, Porsche has a unique VIN. In the example below, the VIN we show is 91A0134831, which is a MY1980 Porsche 911 SC. This VIN can be a little confusing because you need to look at position 1, 2 and 5 to figure out the model. The 911 model would have a 9 in position 1, a 1 in position 2 and a 1 in position 5, thus reading 911 model.

Porsche VIN 1980 Decoder

If you’re trying to establish if matching numbers very hard to get that info from Porsche nowadays.   Too many scammers pulled the data and restamped the engine case.  
Not sure if Harry as above will give you that or not.  But you can generally find out if it’s the right type of engine.

11 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

I’d emailed PCA & PCM for a document or certificate to verify the details of my car back in January, I then followed up both of them and I never got a single reply 

Yeah, They are not a talkative bunch 🙄 

9 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

Interesting. What did you request? What did you receive?

Requested information on specific option codes - this particular vehicle had some unusual seats fitted (that I would not have expected for the model) and I wanted to confirm what was fitted at the factory.

Received brief information, together with an answer to the question.

On 08/03/2022 at 08:37, Burgerman said:

I made an enquiry recently, via a dedicated PCA email address:

vincheck@porsche.com.au

Received a response back within two business days. No name on the email received other than "Your Porsche Classic Team".

Thanks I’ll give it a try!

On 08/03/2022 at 11:44, 81SC said:

There is quite a bit of info in the Porsche PET catalogues, they are a useful source of information.

Just go to the Porsche site & download the appropriate PET, select the Model & Year you require.

https://www.porsche.com/australia/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/originalpartscatalogue/

xFiWIVs.png

WFpbweJ.png

ejkKItC.png

Thanks!

On 07/03/2022 at 09:03, 9er said:

Early cars only had a six digit chassis number.

How early are you looking Stu. We can still get factory data (Kardex) for some early ones. Up to 1969 IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2022 at 19:46, Merv said:

How early are you looking Stu. We can still get factory data (Kardex) for some early ones. Up to 1969 IIRC.

I am looking in ‘70’s

got a good reply from Porsche actually 👍

• 1 year later...
On 17/03/2022 at 19:46, Merv said:

Hi Merv. Was looking to get the factory data/Kardex for my 1969 911E. How do we go about getting the Kardex details please? Many thanks.