356 Outlaw build

Quackers

Exciting times ahead, this 356C is heading down under! Still a long way off but always nice to see some new content in the 356 section.

My current thoughts are to run a 912 motor, 12V electrics, racing bucket seats, green glass, electric air cond, a half roll cage, billit wheels. Not sure about the body mods yet pie cut & widen the rear and an early round nose graft would be nice… will wait & see! 

95C96D35-BF78-46F4-ACD1-8D8279D270A2.jpeg

B612839D-B36E-45AF-8FE8-C9D69C41EA73.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Cheers Blue964,

I absolutely agree (& so does my wallet) that it would be great to just knock out the bondo and leave as is but unfortunately I go to many of the same events as Scott from outlaw garage does in his bare metal 356 and as they say no one likes a copy cat. 

The stance is raked as it’s got no engine installed and a flat tyre so I think airbags would be needed to replicate. 
unfortunately the coupe was held up with USA customs and has to wait in the naughty corner for another month till it starts the boat ride down under. But in better news I’ve found a complete 912 motor for it in California. Still looking for P* 710001 * as thats it’s original (the first ever base spec 356C built).

• 3 months later...

So the 356 has landed safely down under, and even better is that I actually got to see it in the flesh! The body is better than I expected in many area’s although I couldn’t quite get underneath it to properly assess where undoubtedly most of the rust will be lurking.

In true outlaw style it has already had a few run ins with the law relating to incorrect papers & has also upset the Aus customs/quarantine officials but is  currently being sent off for fumigation and cleaning. 

6C69A46E-BA1D-41BD-99B0-3462C562D237.jpeg

• 1 month later...

The 356 was finally released from quarantine and collected this week. 
Very happy with the 356 and dropped by the panel shop to get a ball park assessment of rust repairs/body work - replacement T-6 nose cone and front bonnet required.
It will be going into storage for a while now as currently I just don’t have any spare time or enough space to work on it. Next tasks are building another storage shed at home and shopping around for a 4post hoist to free up some workshop space.

AD17F245-08F8-4D39-9BF3-79CDC56026DD.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Bloody hell, @Quackers.... now thats a project. Good luck mate. I do love the shape of that model 356, not sure what you mean by "early round nose graft" but if it means putting a bumper on the front like those other 356 models (i know nothing about 356's).... NO!!

philbee

PS. This is my dream 356... or similar:  https://silodrome.com/porsche-356-outlaw-car/

Hi Philbee,

Thanks for the message, that outlaw in the link is amazing, a lot of work would have gone into correctly setting up that drivetrain although I’d suspect the extra weight of a 911 motor would become a bit of a pendulum around the track still an amazing build all the same. 
no I’ll most probably keep it bumper-less with just some little nerf bars (incase it breaks down and needs a push) the bit I was referring to is the wider oval shaped opening found at the bottom of front of the frunk, on a t5 or earlier 356 it’s much more rounded. A trivial thing but as they say build it how you like it and I need a new nose panel anyway

in some good news I had a few 356 engines clear through customs last week and a carrera speedo & new transmission are on their way. 

Cheers.

1851A1FC-34FF-454C-9927-9D5696BE00B3.jpeg

C3ED70CC-7E5F-48FE-B3D6-B1137AFECCFD.jpeg

3 hours ago, Quackers said:

Hi Philbee,

Thanks for the message, that outlaw in the link is amazing, a lot of work would have gone into correctly setting up that drivetrain although I’d suspect the extra weight of a 911 motor would become a bit of a pendulum around the track still an amazing build all the same. 
no I’ll most probably keep it bumper-less with just some little nerf bars (incase it breaks down and needs a push) the bit I was referring to is the wider oval shaped opening found at the bottom of front of the frunk, on a t5 or earlier 356 it’s much more rounded. A trivial thing but as they say build it how you like it and I need a new nose panel anyway

in some good news I had a few 356 engines clear through customs last week and a carrera speedo & new transmission are on their way. 

Cheers.

1851A1FC-34FF-454C-9927-9D5696BE00B3.jpeg

C3ED70CC-7E5F-48FE-B3D6-B1137AFECCFD.jpeg

I have a 356A with a 911 engine, handles like a SWB 911. No major pendulum affect. Was built in the early 90’s by John Gregory / Spyder Automobiles. Its awesome.