Synthetic Oil Lifespan

Hi all, 

With covid and whatnot my 88' 911 has not done many kms of late (1,000kms - 12 months). It's due for a 12 month service now, but given the extremely limited use, would it matter if I delayed this for 6 months, or potentially another 12 months? 

I've read into it a bit and I'm on the fence at the moment. I thought I'd get some feedback. I'm waiting for some parts to be available and they're looking to be 3-6 months away, so I figured, I'd get everything done at once, instead of a service now and going back again. 

I drive the car for at least an hour every time I drive it and I'm using Liquid Moly Racetech GT1 10W-60. 

From whar I've read, I think oil, should be fine, it's more the additives that can break down. 

Advice greatly appreciated! 

23 hours ago, spiller said:

I wouldn’t be too concerned over 3-6 months given how little you seem to be using the car. Do it all at once.

I wasn't sure if the limited use still lead to deterioration of oil. These cars also take a large amount of oil. 

2 hours ago, wangan said:

I wasn't sure if the limited use still lead to deterioration of oil. These cars also take a large amount of oil. 

My race mechanic told me short trips are what cause deterioration as opposed to a car that gets driven hard every time it’s run.

21 hours ago, spiller said:

My race mechanic told me short trips are what cause deterioration as opposed to a car that gets driven hard every time it’s run.

I wouldn't say it gets driven hard. It's more I get it up to temp sometimes. Hard to find the balance with old fuel too. I've always wondered what happens with the cars in collections like a Lindsey Fox's. 

On 15/03/2022 at 19:46, wangan said:

I wouldn't say it gets driven hard. It's more I get it up to temp sometimes. Hard to find the balance with old fuel too. I've always wondered what happens with the cars in collections like a Lindsey Fox's. 

2 years should be no problem. Just don't turn it on and let it idol and when you drive it, make sure that it gets up to temperature (at least 30 mins) 

You will notice problems with condensation and contamination when oil is not warmed up fully.

Absolutely no risk.

However you have to think about how you will explain the "gap' in the service records when it comes to sell your car in the future.  Rational or not, potential buyers of these cars expect to see an annual service stamp. If you have lots of gaps already, not a big deal.  Delaying 6 months on a previously regular service routine probably won't raise a query either.

I know this is nonsense and makes you question the value of using full synthetic $20/litre oil in a car that only gets driven a couple thousand largely gentle km a year but I admit seeing a fully stamped up service book showing annual services is reassuring when assessing a potential purchase.   

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

Absolutely no risk.

However you have to think about how you will explain the "gap' in the service records when it comes to sell your car in the future.  Rational or not, potential buyers of these cars expect to see an annual service stamp. If you have lots of gaps already, not a big deal.  Delaying 6 months on a previously regular service routine probably won't raise a query either.

I know this is nonsense and makes you question the value of using full synthetic $20/litre oil in a car that only gets driven a couple thousand largely gentle km a year but I admit seeing a fully stamped up service book showing annual services is reassuring when assessing a potential purchase.   

If I was buying a car and it was travelling less than 5,000kms in a 2 year period and was serviced every 2 years, that would be fine. If it was serviced annually with the same amount of kms it would be good too, but it wouldn't give the car any more value in my opinion. If a buyer had a problem with it not being serviced annually, I'd tell them to do some research. 

A good car is a good car. 1 year, or 2 year services with low kms. Either way you're fine.