First trackday 930

Nighthawk

Hi Guys, got my first trackday at SMSP in the 930, just ordered a strut brace as a present.

lm told to replace the break fluid, & I have good street tyres (better rubber next time)

Should l be doing other things prior to, or checking on the night?

33 minutes ago, sjm said:

A couple of people said not to put the handbrake on straight after a session. Heat soak apparently.  More experienced owners might chime in..

That's what I was told. So bought and used a rubber wheel chock.

Also took a small toolbox, spare brake fluid as well as oil. Scissors or cutters for the zip ties to remove timing sensor if required to be attached to the front of the car. A small tyre inflator to reinflate the tyres for the drive home is handy.

Don't forget to bring your race licence if asked to show it in the night. Would be rough getting there and not being allowed onto the track.

What night are you going? If it does rain avoid the dry line as it gets very slippery. Depending on your pace I found the pressures on the track increase around 5-6 psi so setting them a little softer before you go out is a good idea. 

If it is a driving solutions event then they will have a familiarisation lap for beginners at the start so well worth doing. 

Otherwise keep an eye on your mirrors. 

Thanks for the replies, just started a list to get myself organised.

spare undies- check 

no handbrake

driving solutions trackday/night Tuesday 29th

I’ve done a few trackdays on a motorcycle, just learning to drive the 930

10 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

spare undies- check 

no handbrake

If your'e happy to put a sticker or tape on your handbrake as a reminder it's worthwhile.  Very easy after many years of driving to just stop and pull it up (particularly when the blood's still flowing after exiting your session).  Second the importance of cool down lap.

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

spare undies- check 

no handbrake

Think I'd be more scared of the 930!

3 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Tighten the sphincter 

mash that loud pedal 

before apex?

at the apex?

Check that you have enough pad material on all four corners.  More than half worn on the fronts, turf them and put new ones in.  You’ll lose a heap of material and if you go with worn ones, what’s left won’t cope with the heat.  Especially on the front.  

9 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Thanks, had a service done about 4 months ago, new pad went on front & back, I’m told it’s best to renew the brake fluid prior to a trackday possible moisture in the system? 

DEFINITELY!!!!!!

Easy to do.....

10 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Thanks, had a service done about 4 months ago, new pad went on front & back, I’m told it’s best to renew the brake fluid prior to a trackday possible moisture in the system? 

If it’s a road pad, watch for brake fade anyway as they’re not designed to take repeated heat loads that track work generates