996 v 992 GT3: first v latest Porsche GT3s… how different are they?

If it was a track test where you could open up the 992 the conclusion would have been wildly different. 

‘Real world’, the 996 GT3 is all the car you need though so I kinda get it. Maybe he’s just wanting to act cool though, they’ll be back dating 992’s to 996’s before you can say “restoflog” 

After clocking up some 450klm in my newly purchased GT3 RS on mountain back roads over the weekend I would agree 996 GT3 performance is more real world for weekend driving on public roads. The 500 hp off the new generation GT3 cars is too much for a public road and you have to be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times, as you find yourself easily traveling at speeds other road users have no expectation off, and our shitty roads also offer interesting challenges at times . 

The 350 to 400 hp off the early gen GT3 cars is a really good useable balance for the road and not to much power .

That extra 100hp in the newer GT3 cars is to much power, and can really only be exploited on the track or some place you are confident you are not going to encounter other motorists traveling at legal speeds .. 

Honestly, the "500hp" is hardly overwhelming on any road given the limited n/a torque, lineal nature of the power curve and the more than ample rear end grip. Every tuned F/I M car I have owned is vastly more overwhelming than any GT3 I have driven.