Perth to Brisbane drive advice. What to look out for on the Nullarbor.

Intelligentsia,

I am shortly (30 April) flying into Perth, picking up a car & solo driving back to Brisbane.  Having never done this loooong drive I'm just after any local knowledge etc that might help the trip.  

I plan to avoid the animals, so no nights, late, late arvo or terribly early morning driving.

I am leaving Perth, hitting Coolgardie/ Norseman/ Eucla (WA border), The Nullabor to Port Augusta, Broken Hill, Wilcannia, Moree, Toowoomba, Brisbane.

I am hoping to punch out 800ks per day & get home in 5 to 6 days (I have a total of 9 to spend but my wife will be shitty if I take that long).

The car has had a recent service & the current owner states the car will do the trip.  Tyres are approx 35ks old (I'd say 3 years old).

I will add the car to my RACQ breakdown service for reciprocal interstate service.

I am assuming mobile service coverage I'm with Telstra.

What do I need to consider?  What do I need to get in Perth before leaving?  Is visiting Wolf Creek a bad idea?

Cheers in advance...........

When we last went, aerial speed monitoring patrols were the go (1990!). I expect they've got even more sophisticated "enforcement" methods now...

Look out for this sign on your way back - it means the really straight bit has finished and you'll need to steer...

BTW They got the spelling right on the sign, unlike your good self...🙄

Nully.jpg

Wolf Creek is up just out of Halls Creek  a 100 mile or so out of Derby,  Wrong end of the paddock:)  Have a look at the old telegraph station at Eucla (if you still can depends on the sand drift)Try and fit Ceduna in on the way home for some of the best Oysters you will ever taste 🤗.

#1 Spell check before Rob calls you out ;)

#2 If you're traveling alone, see if you can borrow/rent a Garmin spot tracker or Garmin InReach (I make all my guys use one these days in the field).  Satellite service with ability to text so you don't need 3-4-5G coverage (I think Johnny Appleseed in Brisbane rents them out).  Your wife can easily see where you're up to and check in with you, and it has an EPIRB function.  If you go missing, it may not save your life per se, but at least your family will get your body back 😳.

#3 Do not camp roadside on your own if you get tired. 

#4 Audible subscription - you have a lot of hours with just your own company.  Great time to get some 'reading' done.

#5 Finally, I think 800kms every day may be unrealistic if you're not a professional long-haul driver - it's incredibly fatiguing doing those boring kinds of kms.  Prepare to be flexible.

Good luck with the drive!

5 hours ago, Fishcop said:

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Drive safe and stop for noone.

A theme here - this is 'Stralia right?  What am I missing?

I had no choice but stop overnight 50ks east of Cocklebiddy. Water pump let go in my XE Panel Van. This was the 90’s but at least one of the axe murderers pulled over to tow me into Cocklebiddy. 😂 People do help out in isolated areas, my experience anyway. 

9 hours ago, Rob said:

When we last went, aerial speed monitoring patrols were the go (1990!). I expect they've got even more sophisticated "enforcement" methods now...

Look out for this sign on your way back - it means the really straight bit has finished and you'll need to steer...

BTW They got the spelling right on the sign, unlike your good self...🙄

Nully.jpg

wqs9r.jpg

6 hours ago, Fishcop said:

#1 Spell check before Rob calls you out ;)

#2 If you're traveling alone, see if you can borrow/rent a Garmin spot tracker or Garmin InReach (I make all my guys use one these days in the field).  Satellite service with ability to text so you don't need 3-4-5G coverage (I think Johnny Appleseed in Brisbane rents them out).  Your wife can easily see where you're up to and check in with you, and it has an EPIRB function.  If you go missing, it may not save your life per se, but at least your family will get your body back 😳.

#4 Audible subscription - you have a lot of hours with just your own company.  Great time to get some 'reading' done.

#5 Finally, I think 800kms every day may be unrealistic if you're not a professional long-haul driver - it's incredibly fatiguing doing those boring kinds of kms.  Prepare to be flexible.

Good luck with the drive!

#1  - I never spell check before I post as I think it gives Rob something to live for in his retirement.  He reminds me of some of the Nuns I was educated by (seems they did a shit job at spelling) in the 70's.  He even sometimes smacks my hand with a ruler.

#2  - good tip.  I look up Johnny Appleseed.

#3  - I like a bed :(

#4  - Audible subscription updated.  I have downloaded lots of books on Orthography.

#5  - This is a good tip.  I might look at stop/ accom options for some shorter days.  

Much appreciated.  

40 minutes ago, tomo said:

Balladonia has place to stay, It's the last spot before the longest stretch without fuel , there' a couple of other servos with rooms to stay. But I have camped as well and never got chopped up :)

Thanks.  Good intel.  I plan to stop & fill up at just about every available fuel station.  Will give me an opportunity to stop & stretch the legs.  This car only has a 45ltr fuel tank so needs regular stops.

Don't speed especially in SA. The SA cops will be around. Not sure what car you are driving but to knock an hour or 2 off your trip and you don't mind a really good dirt road you can try the Hyden to Norseman road. You can sit on 100kph on that road, it's that good ( well it was the last time I went through ) and you can visit Wave Rock while you are in Hyden. 

6 hours ago, Jason E said:

Thanks.  Good intel.  I plan to stop & fill up at just about every available fuel station.  Will give me an opportunity to stop & stretch the legs.  This car only has a 45ltr fuel tank so needs regular stops.

That's a small tank, what car is it? I would carry a quality plastic jerry can.

Spare belts and hoses and check the wheel bearings, that grease will get hot like never before and rarely gets checked.

I have driven Perth to Adelaide twice, its not fun as basically nothing to see.

May i suggest trucking it to SA and than drive up ocean road and east coast.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Frank said:

That's a small tank, what car is it? I would carry a quality plastic jerry can.

Spare belts and hoses and check the wheel bearings, that grease will get hot like never before and rarely gets checked.

I have driven Perth to Adelaide twice, its not fun as basically nothing to see.

May i suggest trucking it to SA and than drive up ocean road and east coast.

Good luck.

As Scomo did yesterday - I misspoke.  It actually has a 50L tank.  It's a NC3 MX5.

cheers

I've found long trips listening to audiobooks or good podcasts really livens up the brain and eats up the miles.   Also saves endlessly re-looping the 'songs that were popular when I was young' which is fun sometimes but can kind of mentally get you stuck over time.

2 minutes ago, Coastr said:

I've found long trips listening to audiobooks or good podcasts really livens up the brain and eats up the miles.   Also saves endlessly re-looping the 'songs that were popular when I was young' which is fun sometimes but can kind of mentally get you stuck over time.

Agreed, I've downloaded Audible & have 5 books good to go.  I've got a shed load of songs on a USB & have all the ABC news/ RN channels so I can listen to the start of WW3.  I reckon I'm sorted.  Cheers.

I wish I had more time to stop & see the sights......