Macan - Petrol or Diesel..?

WOKA

Looking at c2016 Macan's at the moment, pretty near the entry level I know and am wondering the real differences / benefits of either a diesel or a petrol 6..

What are the pitfalls of these cars and what should I look out for.? 

Only just starting the journey and made a critical error yesterday - took a Turbo Macan for a bit of a steer, jebus, quite the SUV weapon..  Or should I just go the higher km (150,000k) Turbo and call it a good day.?

Thoughts and any leads..

Cheers.

I have driven both.  I could not stand the stop start function on the diesel.  Petrol ok but was a delay on the diesel every time you went to set off.  Very minute but enough for every other car to have driven away before you were in motion.  was very off putting and annoying.  I mentioned it to the dealer and they said its a common complaint.  Standard response will be turn it off but when you have stop start function it should work satisfactorily. The current entry petrol 4 cyl Macan is a great car for $100K.  I have driven it and loved it.  No diesel anymore.  Great decision in my opinion to drop the diesel version.

Hopefully there is some type of software fix to permanently disable the stop/start?   I have disliked every stop/start vehicle I have ever driven.  At that point I'd rather have a hybrid which will sit silently and pull off the line nicely with the engine kicking in smoothly.   When I'm on the pushie at the lights I can hear all the cars delay as the starter kicks in and I'm out of there faster with my two legs then they are with the powerful motors.  Subarus seem to be the laggiest from my non-scientific study

On 25/04/2022 at 19:56, Coastr said:

Hopefully there is some type of software fix to permanently disable the stop/start?   I have disliked every stop/start vehicle I have ever driven.  At that point I'd rather have a hybrid which will sit silently and pull off the line nicely with the engine kicking in smoothly.   When I'm on the pushie at the lights I can hear all the cars delay as the starter kicks in and I'm out of there faster with my two legs then they are with the powerful motors.  Subarus seem to be the laggiest from my non-scientific study

I have heard from some that said once you turn off the stop start it stays off. Mine is on again every time,  but every time I start the car I take off the handbrake and put it in Sport as I don't like the doughiness in Normal. That also has the benefit of disabling the Stop/Start.

I only wanted the Petrol. It is significantly faster for one, and I did get warned about some common issues with the diesels but didn't pay attention to what they were because it wasn't relevant to me.

I can only say that I love my petrol S. As I generally describe it, it is the perfect car to do all of the boring things, but if you find yourself in the 'boring' car on a fun road, you can still have a lot of fun. I don't think I would be much slower over the same twisty road in my Macan than I would be in my 996.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

but if you find yourself in the 'boring' car on a fun road, you can still have a lot of fun. I don't think I would be much slower over the same twisty road in my Macan than I would be in my 996.

Sounds like me in my Hiace mate 😅👍

Consider a TFSI +MY17 Audi SQ5 ?

I have one it's a great car, with the excpetion of no PDK I'm pretty sure the underpinnings are the same as the Macan ?

But you get all the fruit, adaptive cruise, decent stereo, Apple Carplay etc etc and not the servicing costs of the Macan ...

Think you'll buy much more bang for your buck

On 27/04/2022 at 12:55, epilot said:

I have one it's a great car, with the excpetion of no PDK I'm pretty sure the underpinnings are the same as the Macan ?

But you get all the fruit, adaptive cruise, decent stereo, Apple Carplay etc etc and not the servicing costs of the Macan ...

Think you'll buy much more bang for your buck

I haven't found servicing of the Macan to be anything crazy. I am pretty sure it would be similar to the SQ5.

As for PDK, it is amazing wizardry. In Sport Plus, if you choose to use the paddles you are only going to do a worse job than the car does. Even when you go hard into a corner, it is already in the perfect gear to power out.

On 27/04/2022 at 12:55, epilot said:

It's no bad thing having the fantastic ZF 8 speed proper auto instead of the DL501 STronic/PDK, that would be a big point in favour of the SQ5 in my book!  :)

9 hours ago, MFX said:

I haven't found servicing of the Macan to be anything crazy. I am pretty sure it would be similar to the SQ5.

As for PDK, it is amazing wizardry. In Sport Plus, if you choose to use the paddles you are only going to do a worse job than the car does. Even when you go hard into a corner, it is already in the perfect gear to power out.

If you buy carefully your servicing costs can be zero,  mine came with 5 years free servicing and warranty, I'm not sure Porsche offer any thing similar ?

8 hours ago, st3ve said:

It's no bad thing having the fantastic ZF 8 speed proper auto instead of the DL501 STronic/PDK, that would be a big point in favour of the SQ5 in my book!  :)

I tow with mine, and understand that the PDK does not like being loaded up when in reverse, only hear say.

IMG_1712.JPG

ok, my 2c as a Macan S Diesel owner

I have a 2016 and love it. Yes, the sop/start thing is a thing but you adapt and it becomes not a thing. You cannot permanantly turn off the stop/start in Australia, you can in some countries...

So living with a diesel Macan S is pretty good. It's quick enough and just the right size. I get 800kms from a tank very easily. Mine is still under Porsche extended warranty, it's great piece of mind. I would buy another in a hearbeat, but in saying that a GTS or a Turbo would be nice. But for the same money I'd buy a low k diesel with warranty over a high k turbo.

23 minutes ago, JLD said:

I have a 2016 and love it. Yes, the sop/start thing is a thing but you adapt and it becomes not a thing. You cannot permanantly turn off the stop/start in Australia, you can in some countries...

Strange how there is variance within the Porsche / VW / Audi group, and also within Porsche - my 2013 Toerag is exactly the same - can't turn it off permanently, whereas our 2013 981 Boxster is a straight on / off permanently - in fact turning it off was the first thing the salesman showed my wife!!  But, just you @JLD, you learn to live with it......  Perhaps it is a diesel thing???