Targa Tasmania 2022 fatality

Techno

Similarly, and with the greatest respect to all, I have always wondered about the relationship between what you can afford to drive, and what you are allowed to drive. 

In reality, the number of crews who have the experience to drive any number of exceedingly fast modern cars on narrow roads in all weather conditions for days at a time is exceptionally limited. Are the licence requirements any different for driving a Viper ACR Extreme in GTO than they are to driving an Evo IX in EM4??

On 29/04/2022 at 13:04, GT3MEZ said:

Similarly, and with the greatest respect to all, I have always wondered about the relationship between what you can afford to drive, and what you are allowed to drive. 

In reality, the number of crews who have the experience to drive any number of exceedingly fast modern cars on narrow roads in all weather conditions for days at a time is exceptionally limited. Are the licence requirements any different for driving a Viper ACR Extreme in GTO than they are to driving an Evo IX in EM4??

Licence requirements are the same. A properly prepared EVO 9 in the hands of a top team is more than capable of winning outright. It’s really not about how fast you are in a straight line it’s about how fast you can reliably and safely get around the corners. 

On 29/04/2022 at 11:47, Frank said:

Its always sad when loss of life occurs but last years Rally had 3 people loose their life.

Perhaps racing on open roads with trees on either side and no run offs is not such a good idea....

Feel free to keep yourself wrapped in cotton wool and let the rest of us make our own decisions. You may also want to look at the details of the 3 deaths last year. One drowned due to a VERY long chain of unlikely events. The other two were in a Porsche that went over a crest 40kph faster than the 140kph that you become airborne at and cars with weight in the rear should never become airborne as they never land well. The danger of that crest was well documented and all drivers aware of it. The driver chose to go over it excessively fast probably for the photo opportunity as a professional photographer was at that point.  The majority drove it appropriately with no chance of crashing. New rules limit speed over dangerous crest to around 70kph so no chance of air on any of them. 

On 29/04/2022 at 11:17, Frank said:

Its always sad when loss of life occurs but last years Rally had 3 people loose their life.

Perhaps racing on open roads with trees on either side and no run offs is not such a good idea....

I understand your point, as I spent a few years being a dickhead in the hills who saw far too many of my friends die, so I went back racing bikes on a track, and haven't ridden bikes on the road for many years now. Saying that, I've also crashed my old 911 in the hills, and if it was one corner before it happened (my fault) or if the guard rail I hit in front of a massive gum tree wasn't there, I probably wouldn't be here now.

Ultimately, we all possess the ability to push ourselves to a certain limit where we feel comfortable, yet some have the experience to far exceed our own personal comfort levels. Be it on a track or on the roads, you also have those whose ambition far outweighs their abilities, and accidents will inevitably happen. 

Not saying you're bagging motorsport at all and that you're just making a point, yet there has and will always be those boring people who oppose any form of motorsport for being too dangerous, and try to have it banned to protect other people from being hurt or worse, yet as @Redracn and @Gavin (CliffToCoast) mentioned, living life wrapped in cotton wool, or not allowing people to make their own decisions by risking their own lives with motorsport to put a smile on their face, and/or give them the adrenaline rush they like would make life pretty f#$%ing boring! 

What I'd say to those numpties, is how many deaths and severe injuries are on the roads around Australia every day? What were the circumstances that caused those deaths? Probably 8/10 road accidents are inattention, complacency and probably just plain stupidity, not outright speed.  Targa rallies are a controlled environment, and the cars have roll cages and all the other associated personal safety gear to minimise the risks, yet there will ALWAYS be a heightened danger when speed on a public road is a major part of the events. 

Would I do Tarmac rallies? Unless it was speed limited, not a f#$$ing chance, coz even though I feel I am confident with my own driving abilities (a little less now after my off in the hills), I know I'd push it too far due to my competitive nature.

Sadly, a minority usually has the loudest voice, so I think it will be a trying time for Targa Tasmania and its competitors. Here's hoping common sense prevails, and the event continues as it has done for many years 

@LeeM - I believe last year 813 fatalities on the public road system....well down on the average (covid/lockdowns).  I think it's usually in the 1200 - 1400 range.  Let's call it 4 people every day.  Drugs, fatigue, other medical cause, stupidity and of course there's always the simple 'wrong place at the wrong time'.  A few years back on a road close to me, someone was unlucky enough to have a tree fall and directly hit the roof of their car, while they were travelling at 100 -110.  Looooog odds on that unfortunate driver & there's nothing he could have done whatsoever.