Giocattolo

10 hours ago, luzzo said:

I hate you.

Which I interpret as you like them too!

10 hours ago, Redracn said:

One has also started racing in Tarmac Rally’s 

It competed a lot in the 90’s and early 2000’s until a biggish stack in classic Adelaide (from memory a steering component broke at speed - terrifying). 

Recently rebuilt and restored to compete again. Same owner throughout. 

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

It competed a lot in the 90’s and early 2000’s until a biggish stack in classic Adelaide (from memory a steering component broke at speed - terrifying). 

Recently rebuilt and restored to compete again. Same owner throughout. 

Ah yes I remember that…. Terrifying indeed

These were at the top of my ‘cars I would buy if I won Tatts’ list when I was young’n. Imagine my delight to discover a neighbour backing one out of his garage one morning in the early 2000’s. I quickly went over to drool as it idled in the laneway, it sounded immense. He said it was currently pushing out over 500bhp and he’d recently had an off at Sandown at 250kmh, backwards into the tyres, showed me the damage to the Kevlar (I think?), seems he got off very lightly and/or Kevlar is incredibly strong. He then took me for a spin which I will never forget both for the sheer lunacy of how he was driving and how ridiculously quick the thing was. I’m yet to be in anything that felt that brutally quick…I’m sure the noise from the screaming V8 behind my head had a fair bit to do with it.

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

Congrats.  I used to call them “Gee it cost a lotto”. 
My son’s first pin-up car was JUDGE.  850+  HP twin  turbo

36474C08-B5E9-4686-BA5E-C5413F7A3901

Just a stupid tragedy at what happened.

Todd Wilkes and JUDGE used to be 1 street over from me in Windsor, Brisbane.  Very sad.

18 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Yes, same car. #4

Hey Ryan, does it have it's original bottle of Rum in the tool kit?

10 minutes ago, Raven said:

First question as I am a fan of them also what is it like to drive .......?

No real twisty fast stuff yet, but first impressions are very very good. Really sharp (non power) steering with great turn in and feel. Reminds me of an early 911.

Looking forward to seeing what the back does. Weight is more forward than say a 930 but higher. 

Heaps of grunt, great brakes, good vision, relatively short gearing.  Very comfortable ride on the road, combo of light weight and relatively soft springs. They were designed by Lock to not use sway bars and to be progressive on the limit. I’ve heard they can bite though - we will see.

Overall I’m really impressed by it. I’m hoping to run it at a private road course soon and will report back. 

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about the car , they were all ways a mysterious Ozzy icon to me as so very few were made , but everything I have ever read about them always places them up there with the best of the know performance car manufactures of that era , I have only ever seen the Judge car once , prior to it and its, owners tragic demise , so really looking forward to seeing yours ...

congratulations a very special car indeed .:Beer:

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about the car , they were all ways a mysterious Ozzy icon to me as so very few were made , but everything I have ever read about them always places them up there with the best of the know performance car manufactures of that era , I have only ever seen the Judge car once , prior to it and its, owners tragic demise , so really looking forward to seeing yours ...

congratulations a very special car indeed .:Beer:

Thanks. Happy to take you for a fang. 

It’s a shame how it ended. I’ve spoken to Paul Halstead and its still raw for him. They had something like 85 orders when it went south. 

I still remember the rave reviews from back in the day hence my desire to give one a go. 

Plus my weakness for colour coded 80’s wheels…

16 hours ago, OBRUT said:

You read right. Absolutely love them.

A Love for Alfa Romeo, the combination of sexy body with the curves and bumps in right places and some serious attitude... Scarlett Johanssen in tight red dress. 

Great buy @OBRUT

9 hours ago, OBRUT said:

Thanks. Happy to take you for a fang. 

It’s a shame how it ended. I’ve spoken to Paul Halstead and its still raw for him. They had something like 85 orders when it went south. 

I still remember the rave reviews from back in the day hence my desire to give one a go. 

Plus my weakness for colour coded 80’s wheels…

Congrats on the car, always loved them and Paul is a smart,nice guy, had a club night at his factory 10 or so years ago checking out his then newish X 16 supercar he was developing, he had then recently acquired a Giatottolo for himself, black from memory I think

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

the combination of sexy body with the curves and bumps in right places and some serious attitude... Scarlett Johanssen in tight red dress. 

Bloody good analogy there mate! 👍

I have to admit I didn't know of that accident and I just had a look.

On what planet did the organisers think there was enough run off room. 

Anyway I don't want to start a debate about the accident.

Having said that, what a beast. Always loved those cars and they still look as sexy today as they did when new.

13 minutes ago, 3legs said:

I have to admit I didn't know of that accident and I just had a look.

On what planet did the organisers think there was enough run off room. 

Anyway I don't want to start a debate about the accident.

Having said that, what a beast. Always loved those cars and they still look as sexy today as they did when new.

I believe he pushed on past their finish line, possibly to try and hit 300kph, so he couldn't make the corner. Either way it was definitely not the best layout. That straight used to be the Sydney 1/4 mile drag strip but it ran the other way, up the hill. Running up the hill there is a heap of run off and gravel at the other end. I was on my way there on the day and we were turned away after they cancelled the event. Sad day for all.

6 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

Congrats on the car, always loved them and Paul is a smart,nice guy, had a club night at his factory 10 or so years ago checking out his then newish X 16 supercar he was developing, he had then recently acquired a Giatottolo for himself, black from memory I think

He recently sold it - it is highly modified now (conpetizione!) with a 427!

1 hour ago, OZ930 said:

Not wanting to cause a thread shift, was this the inspiration ?  Awesome car.

A0EDC4F9-9C0D-40B5-862E-A1002880BBD7

No, Alfa built a group B prototype with a busso V6 in the middle. That was the original plan for Giocattolo until Alfa refused to supply them engines (and then later bodies). 

What actually did stop production ?  Lack of funds or something else entirely?   They are certainly unique in the world - will never see anything like it from Australia again.  I saw one in a repair shop in the early 90s.  They couldn’t figure out how to get the a pillar back to where it should be - I can’t remember where the damage was, I think the passenger roof side. Owner of the repair shop was a big guy and eventually used his shoulder to give it a heave-ho.  Got it back in the right spot.  It was a bare-bones car but then the interior has been removed for repair.  I was there wet sanding my brothers car.