15" tyre options/recommendations

Diamond911

Hi guys,

I need to replace my tyres on my 87 Carrera 3.2 that has original 15"x7" and 15"x8" Fuchs.  Currently I have old Pirelli P6000 with sizes 215/60/15 rear and 195/65/15 front (I believe the original factory front size was 185/70/15).  Correction - the later Carrera's had 195/65/15.

I have obtained a quote from Stuckey tyres for Pirelli CN36 in original sizes  215/60/15 and 185/70/15 for $2824 delivered to Perth ($751 and $571 per tyre + delivery).  I have read only good things about the Pirelli CN36. However, almost $3K just on tyres is blimmin expensive.

Alternatively the quote on replacement P6000s for $2280 delivered ($550 and $500 per tyre).  However, although $544 cheaper than a set of CN36 I believe the compound of the CN36 is far superior.

I believe that Dunlop also make a classic 15" tyre in contemporary rubber compound but these are apparently out of stock so not sure of the price difference.

Are there any other alternative tyres I should consider or other providers of the CN36 I can get a competitive quote from?

Thanks

Diamond

Depends what sort of driving you mainly do really.

I've had Hankook Evo 2 on my SC for 5 years on and off, and they provide plenty of grip for 'spirited' driving, and great wet weather grip. They still have loads of tread left too. Think they were around $160-180 per tyre.

There's also Nangkang NS2R which are apparently a good all round tyre a few mates are happy to have on their 911's. Then there's the Nangkang Sport tyre AR1's. I've had them when I had 15's fitted, and would definitely recommend them if you want to get up it a bit in the hills, as they provide loads of grip and a very predictable tyre in my opinion.  

Not sure on exact prices, yet they're around $180 a tyre the last time I looked a few months ago. My local tyre shop runs out pretty quickly, as they're a popular tyre among the Japanese sports car market

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Diamond,

I spent a lot of time deliberating over tire choice but for for my narrow body '70 911. I had two priorities. The first, to get the best out of the car and the second a tire that looked right. The CN36 was the right fit for me. They look great, have plenty of grip and a nice ride. I too sourced them through Stuckey. Russell made the whole experience really simple. Shipped the tires to a regional VIC tire fitter near me when the metro lockdowns were on.

Deep 6 Fuchs - 185/70R15 CN36

Happy customer here! Cheers.

Seventy911

057E1398-36E8-44C7-8286-2F1659713ABF.jpeg

Thanks Lee and Seventy.

I'm keen to keep period correct profile and size, so the likes of Nangkang unfortunately don't seem to come in the right sizes and profiles.  They seem to drop to the 50 and 45 profiles.

The CN36 looks awesome and period correct on the 60s and 70s 911, and yours looks awesome Seventy.  However, I don't think the CN36 is period correct for the 80s 911s though.

I think I will need to go the P6000's again or hold out for the Dunlop Sport Classic tyres.

The Dunlop Sport Classics look pretty good on this '74 at CTS:

https://classicthrottleshop.com/1974-porsche-911-carrera-2-7-mfi-targa/

Your car would have had Pirelli p7, Bridgestone re71 or Dunlop Sports…. Or similar  when it was new.

I think all of these tyres are now being remanufactured.

Have a look at Longstone Tyres in the uk….. they will send to Australia….

justin

longstome tyres in the 

33 minutes ago, reedminor said:

Your car would have had Pirelli p7, Bridgestone re71 or Dunlop Sports…. Or similar  when it was new.

Have a look at Longstone Tyres in the uk….. they will send to Australia….

Thanks Justin.

I just checked Longstone’s website and they only do the Pirelli P6000 and CN36 in those sizes

• 1 month later...