Porsche m97 3.8 rebuild

911CJT

Looking at getting my m97 3.8 rebuilt in sydney. Has anyone got recent experience with rebuilding and/or recommendations of who to use.

Cars usually serviced by autohaus Hamiltons but have heard good things about autowerks too. Hamilton have said 3-4 to pull down and then everything else is on top of that (and all machining done by a third party). 

Happy to hear anyones experience and recommendations. 

7 minutes ago, Raven said:

I highly recommend Hamiltons or PR Tec , as I have have great dealings with both ..:Beer:

Thanks - I plan to keep getting the car serviced at Hamiltons but the engine build I’m hoping to hear more about others experiences as it’s such a big investment for the car. I’m guessing you didn’t get a rebuild done?

14 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

I’ve used both autohaus and pr.  Both great and found no real economic difference. 
an engine rebuild is a pretty ‘by the book’ job.  Porsche even sets out the hours it takes. 

Thank you - I don’t suppose you’ve had any rebuild work done at either?

1 hour ago, 911CJT said:

It’s got bore scoring in one cylinder - kms are 110k so it’ll be a bit of a refresh / necessity. No big bang thankfully. 

Where are you are going to send the motor for the new liners, Do not think this service is available in Oz? A 4ltr build  maybe,

4 hours ago, 911CJT said:

Thank you - I don’t suppose you’ve had any rebuild work done at either?

yes, i have had pretty much everything on a few cars rebuilt across both shops, that's why i recommended them. It is normal routine work for both shops just doing an engine rebuild.   

They can be quite busy, so you may want to ask when they would be able to get to it.    

2 hours ago, tomo said:

Where are you are going to send the motor for the new liners, Do not think this service is available in Oz? A 4ltr build  maybe,

I wish I could justify the 4L build out but sadly I think it could take away some of the value of the originality. 

I will go a bit crazy on a build of an older 911 one day when I can justify both. I find old cars a lot easier to work on. And I can start with a less original base. 

2 hours ago, mc968cs said:

yes, i have had pretty much everything on a few cars rebuilt across both shops, that's why i recommended them. It is normal routine work for both shops just doing an engine rebuild.   

They can be quite busy, so you may want to ask when they would be able to get to it.    

Thank you - It’s getting a service at autohaus and some suspension things fixed at the moment so we are discussing options for rebuild. It’s likely I’ll get it done there later this year. 

Have you got any insights to share on your experience with engine builds you think it would be good for me to know prior to embarking? 

If you want aluminium / Nikasil liners, then you need to send the block to LN in US or Hartec in UK can also do aluminium liners with Nikasil coating, but again you need to send them the block.

Westwood in UK will send iron liners and pistons and there are local machine shops that will fit them.

Choices, choices....

16 minutes ago, 911CSR said:

If you want aluminium / Nikasil liners, then you need to send the block to LN in US or Hartec in UK can also do aluminium liners with Nikasil coating, but again you need to send them the block.

Westwood in UK will send iron liners and pistons and there are local machine shops that will fit them.

Choices, choices....

I heard that but Hamiltons are saying they can do the liners here - going to find out more when I pick the car up Wednesday. I did consider getting it removed and sent to hartech but the exchange rate and shipping fees don’t seem to be my friend atm 

3 minutes ago, 911CJT said:

I heard that but Hamiltons are saying they can do the liners here - going to find out more when I pick the car up Wednesday. I did consider getting it removed and sent to hartech but the exchange rate and shipping fees don’t seem to be my friend atm 

Interesting, did they say iron or aluminium liners?? I'd be interested to know as well

34 minutes ago, 911CSR said:

Interesting, did they say iron or aluminium liners?? I'd be interested to know as well

I wouldn’t let iron liners near it. They said aluminium with nikasil - I’ll come back to you when confirmed. They did talk about machining they block so that’s very similar to the Hartech repair 

30 minutes ago, 911CJT said:

I wouldn’t let iron liners near it. They said aluminium with nikasil - I’ll come back to you when confirmed. They did talk about machining they block so that’s very similar to the Hartech repair 

The machining is basically the same, it's the liners that differ.

On 16/05/2022 at 15:49, 911CJT said:

I wish I could justify the 4L build out but sadly I think it could take away some of the value of the originality. 

Although we all may place a different meaning to value - these are never going to be collectable.

A 4.0L is a glorious thing and you'd never want for more....

Having the motor rebuilt makes it arguably, non original (as mentioned above, these car aren’t really collectible). If I ever need a rebuild on my 997C2S I will seriously consider a 4.0. Especially when the cost is significant for a base rebuild

Don’t agree that 997 is not going to be collectible.  They used to say that about SCs, then 964s…997 is a key model and will be sought after in decades to come

That said a legit rebuild as a 4.0 is not going to hurt value.  Imagine finding a 3.2 with a 3.4 engine .. you’d be happy 

2 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Don’t agree that 997 is not going to be collectible.  They used to say that about SCs, then 964s…997 is a key model and will be sought after in decades to come

That said a legit rebuild as a 4.0 is not going to hurt value.  Imagine finding a 3.2 with a 3.4 engine .. you’d be happy 

Yeah I agree - even if it’s ‘only’ a C4S in twenty years time it’ll only be getting more and more collectible. 

If my pistons are toast then I will consider an overbore and 4L conversion but if they’re salvageable then I’ll likely keep it 3.8. Both engine builders were hesitant of saying 4L conversion made much difference. If others have experience with 4L vs 3.8 I’d be happy to hear from them. 

On 18/05/2022 at 11:45, on_booost said:

Although we all may place a different meaning to value - these are never going to be collectable.

A 4.0L is a glorious thing and you'd never want for more....

I agree on the 4Ltr, But I think all Porka's will be collectable one day look at history,  These days you can not even buy a (repairable) wovr car, a few years ago no one would touch them with a barge pole 😉

997's, I believe will be desirable although the sought after collectables that are put away as an investment to me are a different thing.

GT3, GT3 RS 3.8, 4.0, Sport classic maybe a Turbo S for example. Don't get me wrong,  I'd be deliriously happy having my 997 worth 7 figures in the future. 

10 minutes ago, sjm said:

997's, I believe will be desirable although the sought after collectables that are put away as an investment to me are a different thing.

GT3, GT3 RS 3.8, 4.0, Sport classic maybe a Turbo S for example. Don't get me wrong,  I'd be deliriously happy having my 997 worth six figures in the future. 

I think nearly all of them now are well into the 100k for anything reasonably good condition or decent. Not sure how they will fair in the economic downturn though. The cheapest C4S on the market now are north of 150k which does make me wonder what they are actually selling for.  

I have a 996.2 C2 with the Hartech enlarged 3.9L engine, engine feels real solid,  it has  a tonne of torque and revs quickly.

Seat of the pants seems to be more powerful than my previous GT4.

Purchased the car in Dec 2020 from a PFA  member who completed all the work, turned out to be a fantastic car and lots of fun to drive.

34 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I have a 996.2 C2 with the Hartech enlarged 3.9L engine, engine feels real solid,  it has  a tonne of torque and revs quickly.

Seat of the pants seems to be more powerful than my previous GT4.

Purchased the car in Dec 2020 from a PFA  member who completed all the work, turned out to be a fantastic car and lots of fun to drive.

What engine management system is it using?