GT4 e Performance

Raven

Yeh I totally agree I found that very annoying also , I know from Driving Cup cars that the straight cut gearbox has a similar whine , but the engine sound takes your mind off it and hides it to a degree ..

I respect the technology and innovation in these E cars , but just still dont see it as practical yet , the range needs to be greater than 30 minutes of racing and the 15 minutes to fast Charge 

I read on another thread that production of Taycan had been suspended due to shortage of materials to build the cars , I also wonder who often this will happen when every manufacturer goes electric , will they have the materials need to supply market demand ..???

23 minutes ago, Raven said:

I read on another thread that production of Taycan had been suspended due to shortage of materials to build the cars , I also wonder who often this will happen when every manufacturer goes electric , will they have the materials need to supply market demand ..???

No, they don't. There are a number of raw materials used in current battery technology that were already in short supply before covid hit (or battery production really ramps up). We're relying on increased demand to make uneconomic deposits economically feasible.

4 minutes ago, sleazius said:

No, they don't. There are a number of raw materials used in current battery technology that were already in short supply before covid hit (or battery production really ramps up). We're relying on increased demand to make uneconomic deposits economically feasible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/batteries/congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

13 minutes ago, sleazius said:

This is why I have to wonder , can car manufactures meet consumer demand when these materials are already in limited supplies .

Governments are forcing European manufactures to go all  Electric without taking into account if this can be done , I am no expert on the subject , but it seams to me there just is not enough battery production materials to meet the consumer demand ..??

I am not anti EV as I said I respect the innovation and tech that goes into it , but in saying that I dont believe I would ever buy one , for me it is about the ICE sound regardless of the cars performance figures and statistics .

We all know a Taycan or Tesla can outperform say a G series 911 for example ,at least in terms of performance numbers and not range and practicality ,, but I would much rather spend my days driving the old 911 , those cars put a smile on your face and give you satisfaction and the urge to keep driving ,, I can say from driving a few Tesla,s that I never experienced those emotions ..

42 minutes ago, Raven said:

This is why I have to wonder , can car manufactures meet consumer demand when these materials are already in limited supplies .

Governments are forcing European manufactures to go all  Electric without taking into account if this can be done , I am no expert on the subject , but it seams to me there just is not enough battery production materials to meet the consumer demand ..??

I am not anti EV as I said I respect the innovation and tech that goes into it , but in saying that I dont believe I would ever buy one , for me it is about the ICE sound regardless of the cars performance figures and statistics .

We all know a Taycan or Tesla can outperform say a G series 911 for example ,at least in terms of performance numbers and not range and practicality ,, but I would much rather spend my days driving the old 911 , those cars put a smile on your face and give you satisfaction and the urge to keep driving ,, I can say from driving a few Tesla,s that I never experienced those emotions ..

100% agree, you’ve summed up my thoughts perfectly 

On 19/05/2022 at 07:26, tomo said:

Yeah, I was talking more about rare earth metals that are almost exclusively controlled by china and that are already running out before we talk about using a kg or 2 per car. But the slave like conditions in cobalt mining are also a concern.

The great hope for a lot of these minerals is space mining, which is why all these billionaires suddenly became interested in rockets 15 years ago. 

Back to electric cars - they are a smoke screen to make the public think something is being done about CO2 emissions when in reality even a full electric fleet world wide would have very little impact (<10%). Just a distraction so the oligarchs can continue business as usual. That said I personally dig the technology for commuter vehicles in big cities.

Check this website out - by default it ranks asteroids by most cost effective to mine, but change the search to most valuable and you can see there >500 individual asteroids that can crash the world's economy several times over if you can mine it and bring it to earth. You can see a lot of the asteroids do require a very high delta-V to reach however. Definitely doable if Space-X does their whole launch two rockets, have the second one carry a payload of only fuel (estimated 6.5km/s). 

https://www.asterank.com/

Or this for ease of consumption:

8093.thumb.jpg.70ff7a493c7fb49b96c6ca716671b26c.jpg

Thanks for that link Sleazius about the asteroids very interesting stuff about mining those .

I was at Porsche Parramatta yesterday getting a minor service on my RS , while I was there I had a good look at a Taycan Turbo S in the show room , certainly not my sort of car being a sedan , but I can see Porsche has really gone all out on that car some of the interior finishes would be features I would like to see in the 911 and 718 range .

After spending a hour or so at Porsche I walked down the road to Tesla and looked at what they had in the show room .

Tesla has nothing on the Taycan in terms of fit finish and build quality , and that shows in the price of the Taycan , it was close to double the price of the Tesla  .

Again I am not a fan of 4 door sedans and neither the Taycan or Tesla appeal to me , but still interesting to take a good look at the technology in both cars .

Both are very interesting , unique in their own way and quite ground breaking . 

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Thanks for that link Sleazius about the asteroids very interesting stuff about mining those .

I was at Porsche Parramatta yesterday getting a minor service on my RS , while I was there I had a good look at a Taycan Turbo S in the show room , certainly not my sort of car being a sedan , but I can see Porsche has really gone all out on that car some of the interior finishes would be features I would like to see in the 911 and 718 range .

After spending a hour or so at Porsche I walked down the road to Tesla and looked at what they had in the show room .

Tesla has nothing on the Taycan in terms of fit finish and build quality , and that shows in the price of the Taycan , it was close to double the price of the Tesla  .

Again I am not a fan of 4 door sedans and neither the Taycan or Tesla appeal to me , but still interesting to take a good look at the technology in both cars .

Both are very interesting , unique in their own way and quite ground breaking . 

I'm a big fan of the Taycan interior, hopefully it spreads across the range. They also drive pretty well for a commuter, but they'd want to at the cost.

I going to rename Porsche Parra as Porsche SUV Para , my RS was one of two 911 in the service shop and the outside carpark yesterday the place was full of Cayenne and Macan , never seen so many of them in one place ...