No more 964 builds for Singer?

tomo

37 minutes ago, itsujack said:

I thought I read somewhere the new turbo is still based on the 964 platform?

Yes it's all a bit confusing,  Perhaps they mean the Turbo build only ?

Rob Dickinson (Singer head honcho) speaking with Top Gear:

“We’ve kind of taken a pause with the Classic,” he added. And it’s not because the world is quickly draining its reserves of natural, unmodified 964s. “There are tens of thousands of 964s! And there’s plenty of ratty ones which we don’t feel too bad about reimagining.”

Sounds more like they're keeping their options open to me.

I would say it’s three-fold - 1) you’ve got to keep it exclusive.  450 built keeps it relatively low volume - there’s already more singer backdates than 959s built. 2) power - chasing higher numbers required the Williams engine which I’m guessing is very expensive to build vs turbo which just needs boost 3) freshness - rich people want the newest and freshest.  The other design has been copied to death -  no longer stands out.  See fashion and handbags.  Plus newer generation idolised impact bumpers over long hoods.

The other thing would be production simplicity - less inventory, single procedures, reduced complexity.  

Singer did an amazing job of making a go of this type of business which is a relatively new way of car production.  Happy to see them build on that strength.  As regulations get more and more anti-car and anti-performance it’s likely that old platforms will become the best way of building unique new vehicles.

My forecast is they will be Porsche version  of a Group B rally  Metro 6R4, Loved or hated in 20 years  

I reckon its time they started whatever dating and cutting up 991's they are bloody ugly 

5 hours ago, Coastr said:

Singer did an amazing job of making a go of this type of business which is a relatively new way of car production.  Happy to see them build on that strength.  As regulations get more and more anti-car and anti-performance it’s likely that old platforms will become the best way of building unique new vehicles.

I dunno - Giocattolo were doing it 30 years ago ;)

1 hour ago, symsy said:

My forecast is they will be Porsche version  of a Group B rally  Metro 6R4, Loved or hated in 20 years  

I reckon its time they started whatever dating and cutting up 991's they are bloody ugly 

Interesting. I really like the 991s, especially the .1 - the 992 on the other hand 🤮

I think Singer now putting all of their eggs in the Turbo basket is not going to be as successful as they hope. Their Turbo study looks ok but I don't think I am in the minority when I say that it is far less appealing than their Classic builds. 

9 hours ago, MFX said:

I think Singer now putting all of their eggs in the Turbo basket is not going to be as successful as they hope. Their Turbo study looks ok but I don't think I am in the minority when I say that it is far less appealing than their Classic builds. 

Absolutely 👍 

To me, a Singer Classic is the pinnacle of 911 restomodding, and with the amount they've sold and how many orders they still have, others would agree.

The Turbo study. Looks good, but...meh...The DLS...that's another level altogether, yet I still can't grasp the $2m price tag of that one, but they seem to have loads of orders.

One thing for certain, is that ol Rob Dickinson had a bloody good idea for a business targeting the well healed, and it's paid off handsomely

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Absolutely 👍 

To me, a Singer Classic is the pinnacle of 911 restomodding, and with the amount they've sold and how many orders they still have, others would agree.

The Turbo study. Looks good, but...meh...The DLS...that's another level altogether, yet I still can't grasp the $2m price tag of that one, but they seem to have loads of orders.

One thing for certain, is that ol Rob Dickinson had a bloody good idea for a business targeting the well healed, and it's paid off handsomely

I wouldn't buy a Singer of any type, but they did inspire the build of my own car. The quality is undeniable, and I have seen a lot of pretenders who are still way off.

The DLS is in a completely different league. As much as it is I actually see more value in a $2m DLS than a $1m Classic.

14 hours ago, Fishcop said:

I dunno - Giocattolo were doing it 30 years ago ;)

And doing it well / amazing thing to drive. 

8 hours ago, Coastr said:

Still a shame they didn’t make a go of it.  Imagine the wailing if you could still get a car with some bundy in the toolkit

It’s a big shame, they had 85 orders with the QLD govt pulled the rug out from under them. 

7 hours ago, MFX said:

The DLS is in a completely different league. As much as it is I actually see more value in a $2m DLS than a $1m Classic.

Agree with this 1000%. I was only mildly interested in Singers until they developed that engine, and then the package they stuck it in. Much more value in a DLS than the classic IMO.