Has anyone ever had fuel quality issues?

I always run BP ultimate 98 and the other day i put in shell 98. Car all of a sudden feels less power while building boost and below 4500 rpm. even on full boost until 4500 rpm it feels sluggish. Data logs show that it  is actually sluggish by looking at the intake airflow. 

Yep. I usually put BP 98 in my 3.0, yet have put Shell 98 in it 3 or 4 times, and it's run like a pig every time. Feels flat like it's too rich, weird jumpy idle, bad throttle response etc.

Never putting Shell in my car again

When we purchased our first Porsche some 7 or 8 years ago now, from a reputable independent workshop / sales business, I asked about fuel, and was recommended to stay with BP & Caltex (now Ampol).  They said that they had experienced a surge in vehicles coming in to the workshop with glazed bores etc and the common thread appeared to be that most of the owners had been using Shell, and the problems started after there had been a change in additives etc in the fuel, presume to get the octane rating????  I had that advice confirmed about 3 - 3 1/2 years ago by them.

Must admit w pretty much exclusively use BP Ultimate, certainly did so with the GT3, and the C2 and wife's 981 all run pretty much faultlessly on it.

On 03/08/2022 at 08:23, TwoHeadsTas said:

When we purchased our first Porsche some 7 or 8 years ago now, from a reputable independent workshop / sales business, I asked about fuel, and was recommended to stay with BP & Caltex (now Ampol). 

I have previously been advised the same.

Not Porsche related, but being on empty and in a hurry, I reluctantly did a splash and dash and put 10 litres of Shell 91 in my 06 Toyota Hiace last week. Within an hour, it was running like it was on 3 cylinders with no guts and 'fluffy' at idle. The following day at first start up, it was like it was flooded and was coughing and farting until I gave it a rev to clear its throat. As soon as I put BP back in, it was running fine

NEVER ever again will I put any Shell product in any car or even a lawn mower! 

On 03/08/2022 at 08:23, TwoHeadsTas said:

When we purchased our first Porsche some 7 or 8 years ago now, from a reputable independent workshop / sales business, I asked about fuel, and was recommended to stay with BP & Caltex (now Ampol).  They said that they had experienced a surge in vehicles coming in to the workshop with glazed bores etc and the common thread appeared to be that most of the owners had been using Shell, and the problems started after there had been a change in additives etc in the fuel, presume to get the octane rating????  I had that advice confirmed about 3 - 3 1/2 years ago by them.

Must admit w pretty much exclusively use BP Ultimate, certainly did so with the GT3, and the C2 and wife's 981 all run pretty much faultlessly on it.

Here's what puzzles me and I'd appreciate some insight.

I too had the same advice and have stuck to BP and Caltex.  But with the gradual shut down of our refineries, I wonder where our petroleum comes from and whether it is all sourced from one or two sources regardless of what label is on it.  Is there a difference? 

A google search reveals that I may take my choice of information because it is contradictory and that we have 8 refineries, 4 refineries, or 2 refineries.  Or that most of our fuel comes from Singapore.  Huh? So, what is the accurate situation, and if most of the refineries have closed down, what is the difference whether we buy Shell, BP, Caltex, Mobil, Ampol or some no name brand?

16 minutes ago, sydr said:

Here's what puzzles me and I'd appreciate some insight.

I too had the same advice and have stuck to BP and Caltex.  But with the gradual shut down of our refineries, I wonder where our petroleum comes from and whether it is all sourced from one or two sources regardless of what label is on it.  Is there a difference? 

A google search reveals that I may take my choice of information because it is contradictory and that we have 8 refineries, 4 refineries, or 2 refineries.  Or that most of our fuel comes from Singapore.  Huh? So, what is the accurate situation, and if most of the refineries have closed down, what is the difference whether we buy Shell, BP, Caltex, Mobil, Ampol or some no name brand?

I'll ask a client who was until fairly recently a senior exec at Caltex / Ampol, and see if he'll provide a response I can reproduce here

20 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'll ask a client who was until fairly recently a senior exec at Caltex / Ampol, and see if he'll provide a response I can reproduce here

I'm looking forward to an accurate insight, thanks.

And BTW I too have had some fuel issues - even with BP and Ampol - with a rather elderly motor car which took to 'sneezing' - a momentary single fart thru one of its many carburettors every now and then, under load.  I wondered at the time - it was the beginning of winter - whether it had something to do with possible seasonal change of fuel formulation.  Usually, sneezing or backfiring thru the carburettors is considered to be a sign of too lean a mixture or of fuel starvation.  This occurred without warning and a friend had something similar on a similar car.