Capital city with close drivers roads

sjm

Was in Sydney the other week on holiday and we had a rental car that we used for a road trip to Bathurst, surrounding gold field towns, and back again .

Apart from The Royal National Park, which the roads were crap due to all the rain they've had, a fairly long drive is needed just to find a good road .

What city has the good roads close handy and how far/long does it take you to get to them.

For instance I'm about a 15 min walk/ couple of minute drive to Anstey Hill special stage of the Adelaide Rally then on to The Gorge Road, Montacute Road. etc.

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Adelaide. Less than 10 minutes from me mate 😅👍

Yep, Adelaide is up there for us who love the twisty bits, i use the Gorge road just to get bread and milk at times😁

Interested what other city's offer though!

If you live on the west side of Brisbane good roads are less than 20 minutes away.  The number of cameras on them, well, that's another thing altogether.   Mt Glorious is a very well travelled road, but there is Mt Nebo as well, as well as a lot of open flowing roads around the somerset dam/wivenhoe area.   The sunshine coast hinterland to the north and the gold coast hinterland to the south has a lot of great roads as well.  These takes about 40-60  minutes to start getting to the interesting parts depending on where you start.

9 hours ago, MFX said:

Hobart or Launceston without a doubt have the best selection. Adelaide has fantastic roads but far too many cops and hidden speed cameras :(

Yep, patiently waiting to get my license points back 😎 Have been to Tassie twice, beautiful state, though wife in the car restricts the fun factor. 

10 hours ago, MFX said:

Adelaide has fantastic roads but far too many cops and hidden speed cameras :(

Can't argue with that. And they're 'safety cameras' Jeff 👍

1 hour ago, sjm said:

Yep, patiently waiting to get my license points back 😎 Have been to Tassie twice, beautiful state, though wife in the car restricts the fun factor. 

Aaaah the second handbrake...know it well 😄

12 hours ago, MFX said:

Hobart or Launceston without a doubt have the best selection. Adelaide has fantastic roads but far too many cops and hidden speed cameras :(

When I was working in George Town, if I left for work 15 minutes early, I could do 4 current and former Targa Tas stages on the way to work 🙂 

And we know that Launceston should be the capital of Tasmania, although we don't want the pollies and public servants that go with that 😉

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Can't argue with that. And they're 'safety cameras' Jeff 👍

Drives me crazy listening the the blatant lie they are spouting on the radio here that 'casual speeding is the major cause of deaths on NSW roads'. Such a crock of sh!t. As a firie I go to hundreds of MVA's (motor vehicle accidents) every year and 99% of them are due to people not paying attention, ie looking at their phones, etc. Speeding is so rarely a factor. Every now and then there are kids driving beyond their abilities, but that is a tiny percentage, at least in my real world observation.

13 minutes ago, MFX said:

Drives me crazy listening the the blatant lie they are spouting on the radio here that 'casual speeding is the major cause of deaths on NSW roads'. Such a crock of sh!t. As a firie I go to hundreds of MVA's (motor vehicle accidents) every year and 99% of them are due to people not paying attention, ie looking at their phones, etc. Speeding is so rarely a factor. Every now and then there are kids driving beyond their abilities, but that is a tiny percentage, at least in my real world observation.

Same here in Tassie, where, unfortunately our toll is nearly double last year already 😞 

54 minutes ago, MFX said:

Why defensive driver training isn't compulsory baffles me. Have read an article by an aussie motoring journalist at an international  car launch.  

He was partnered with a German scribe. The comparison between both countries driver training left the German fella gob smacked and sad how inadequate the Australian system is.

Yeah we hear the bullshit all the time here too Jeff. 

When there's more and more people on the roads every year (immigration/people moving interstate etc), there's bound to be more injuries and deaths. Same as all the ramping and hospitals that can't cope, as there's more people in the country. It's not that hard to work out they don't have the infrastructure to manage the ever increasing population

3 hours ago, MFX said:

It's a genius scam - and nearly any of us with a first responder or LEO background will recognise the sleigh-of-hand.  It had roots in genuine safety (think seat belts and alcohol limits).  But when government realised they could disguise latent revenue raising behind "saving lives" over just a few short generations of new drivers; a whole new world of pecuniary penalties emerged.  Digitised cameras and remote operation sealed out motoring fetes.  You'll note government has had to work harder as the community have acquiesced and tickets dropped off - speed limits have had to be reduced (rather than fix a road), rego labels have become 'virtual' (meaning 10% will forget to pay on time and an extra dip can be had), mandating vehicles to stay 'manufacturer spec' (think big tyres on 4x4s), and even the stupid requirement in NSW for P platers to only do 100 in a 110 (driving us all mad) all ensures there is a healthy weekly compliance income buffering the budget.  If the government wasn't here to protect us we'd all be dead...

16 hours ago, MFX said:

I remember reading in Motor Magazine (RIP) a few years ago when they investigated this and they observed a disproportionate tendency to select speed as the cause of a crash when the investigating officers/officials could not ascertain the cause of the accident, meaning that the speed statistics is really the unknown cause which MFX from personal experience of cleaning up the mess is often lack of attention/distraction. 

We as drivers and enthusiasts continue to fail at organizing and pushing back.  We’d rather drive and enjoy than fight against the government and the associated cultural push to rid the world of private transport.  A 5 minute conversation with a young zealot should put the fear of god into us all.

• 2 months later...

I love Aus for many reasons but it’s by the worst country I’ve driven in…. Am currently in Asia where I have a 996 turbo, and it gets driven way above the speed limit every single time I get in….

note I don’t drive like a dick, but when the road is clear I use the accelerator …. If the Australian govt’s propaganda about speeding were true, there would be endless carnage daily at the speeds im doing …. 

Newcastle about 60mins. Roads towards Hunter Valley are pretty bad and poorly maintained and rarely repaired, Putty road and old Pacific HWY in good nick.

Totally agree about government revenue raising under the guise of safety. The HWY south of Swansea ( 4 lane divided road with breakdown lanes and off ramps ) has never been safer however RMS decided to shorten the small section of 100k stretch and cut the next section back from 90k to 80k where a speed camera is located its unpopulated in the middle of nowhere it makes no sense other than frustrate drivers to speed.

Thier ads about  speeding are a joke how does going 3k faster compare with a badly deformed , potholed road littered with loose material compare. The money spent on adds should go to repairs. Motoring groups NRMA etc should de documenting some of these horrible sections of road naming and shaming the RMS and putting that on TV.