SC or 3.2

_Tony

Just tongue in cheek.. more so referring to how loud/raucous and raw it was compared to the more refined cars ive driven in the past.. 

or feisty and raunchy , depending upon how much you like tongue in cheek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 years ago i had a SC with about 15k worth of engine work (3.2 large piston kit from Germany full professional built etc) the car was fantastic to drive sounded great with 2 in 2 out exhaust system, but it needed to be reved higher, the timing had to be adjusted manualy, carrera chain tensioners, pop up valve in the air box and not to forget the ever anoying CIS injection system which once it gets old gives endless amounts of problems. 

I currently have a 3.2 Carrera 86, 915 box which is fine, more torque down low, you can chip them, they have fully electronic timing, a/c (which some people dont use), I have the same exhaust system in this car and I cannot tell any difference in sound, (it is loud though), and it is much different to drive, it is smoother and more refined, now some people might think it lost that Porsche feel, but I like it quite a bit more than my 1980sc, which at the time i thought it was a great car until I drove my Carrera.

just my 2 cents from experience first hand.

both cars were australian delivered and very similar in condition.

Lets not forget if we're talking about the Aussie 3.2 we should be looking at not just 915 v G50 but 84-85 Models running 231hp against the later 86-87 models that where significantly down on power 217hp...  too me it comes down to buying the best car in your budget irrespective of year....

Just tongue in cheek.. more so referring to how loud/raucous and raw it was compared to the more refined cars ive driven in the past.. 

That's the part that will take some getting used to.

Great thread this is!

you still have not explained what you meant by nippier.

and yes 3.2's are quicker that SC's, higher top speed, more torque, more power.. so are SC's nippier coz their heat does not work?? :D

and yes, 3.2's also have an engine and an exhaust that makes some noise

SC's are lighter from the get go and have tighter gearing, definitely feel more agile and quicker. 3.2's are bit lazier in feel.

it's why i started with an SC! not many 3.2's can touch it.*

as said above though it's all close enough that you can just buy whichever one is in budget for the best condition, then alter it to suit..

*albeit that's probably because it's 3.6 now.. shh

SC's are lighter from the get go and have tighter gearing, definitely feel more agile and quicker. 3.2's are bit lazier in feel.

it's why i started with an SC! not many 3.2's can touch it.*

as said above though it's all close enough that you can just buy whichever one is in budget for the best condition, then alter it to suit..

*albeit that's probably because it's 3.6 now.. shh

Right about the gearing.  On the twisty bits of the ACT run from Melbourne, I think JB's 3.2 wasn't quite matching my SC. The 3.2 seems more suited to longer stretches where the SC is better geared for the tight stuff.  It's a subtle difference which does change the driving experience. 

To be fair, JB's car was feeling a bit heavy in the steering. So maybe an alignment would help out there.  I had the SC re-set for more of a track set up which transformed the handling.  I also found the steering a bit lighter and more responsive = more fun to drive. 

You know, when I was younger I used to always think 'why do they call it "Guards Red" - is it something to do with mudguards'.

Of course much later on the penny dropped that these are called fenders, wings and who-knows-what in Germany.

The Guards, of course, refer to red-coated Palace Guards and the like.

Anyway...

Apple Green is an awesome color, as is Continental Orange.  It's a shame they dropped it so early on.  It's a shame to see the color paletter softening out as the 1980s were entered.

Still, white, red  and black are always there.

Anyone ever seen a lilac/moonstone car?  Only made for one year, I'm guessing it wasn't a winner.

I think those colours are super cool :)

Seen lots of beige coloured ones over on pelican... actually some really obscure colors. I must say, even tho I know some colours aren't popular when selling a car.. I'm attracted to those colours and a Sporto gear box!

If you're searching, the color is called 'moonstone'.  Seems as though Ford and BMW also had colors named this by the search results.

My guess is that any original moonstone cars have long had a coat of Guards Red laid down, and finding one would be a real challenge because you'd have to chance across a car with the correct paintcode on it.

By the paint charts, the color was also available on 924s and 928s, so you might find a pic of one of those.

SC+Back1172459556.jpg

Sahara Beige - SC I'm not sure if it is or not

BMW has a color called 'Kalahari Beige' which isn't a mile off this color, though with much less gold and more brown.  It's what you see seemingly 50% of all X5s painted in, the ones that aren't silver or black.

It's a shame though, because the X5 looks great in Estoril Blue.

BMW has a color called 'Kalahari Beige' which isn't a mile off this color, though with much less gold and more brown.  It's what you see seemingly 50% of all X5s painted in, the ones that aren't silver or black.

It's a shame though, because the X5 looks great in Estoril Blue.

I actually didn't know the colour of that first Targa... the name was for the car below it. sorry I didn't make that clear in my post.

That Targa is lovely tho.

My SLK is a Cubanite Silver, so a bronze shade of silver.  That made it hard for me to sell the car. I had numerous men tell me they thought the car looked girly.

My SLK is a Cubanite Silver, so a bronze shade of silver.  That made it hard for me to sell the car. I had numerous men tell me they thought the car looked girly.

Far be it for me to enquire as to the manliness of these real men wanting an SLK (and not a Porsche...) Were they "neatly coffed" and are we talking gold chains etc?

Archived