LeeM

Apologies,but my laptop has deleted the letter after M i_ the alphabet,so you will see typo's with M imstead!

It seems I have bought my first Porsche! Well, a deposit is paid, so I'd better be gettimg it!

This be it  http://www.triumphroverspares.com.au/page.asp?parentid=7&parent2id=33&productid=1310#viewimage

LHD drive 912 for a 6 to 12mth resto.Very happy!!

I will post up more details asap

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. Now that i have my phone to use, i can give up my plans. In a nutshell, I was wanting a 911 to hopefully buy sometime late this year, but after doing some research, and being realistic with my budget, the 912 lhd was a better option for me for a few reasons. To find this 912 in what 'appears' to be in a good solid condition,though we've all heard that before! It runs,albeit rather badly due to what can only be described as treacle for fuel! It is a long term project, but being impatient, that will probably change. I hope to have it home next weekend. I really shouldnt have bought it, but as Steve says, opportunities are lost, so it had to be done.

Yeah, funny though, coz my mate used to work there and he actually suggested it ages ago, as they get some quirky cars in now and then.

This is the story about it.

Bloke that owns the business, Ian Wilson, races a Triumph TR7 I believe, and on one of his visits to Winton near Benalla (my favourite track, though I had my fastest crash there at over 200kph on a bike!) he saw what he thought was a 911 under a tarp under a carport.

Anyway, he goes back there coupla times over a year and finally drops in to see what the go is with it.

Old lady there says it was her deceased husbands car, but it wasnt for sale, as the kids wanted it. He left his number anyway just incase.

Fast forward a few months, and he gets a call from the lady saying she had a fall out with the kids, so the 912 is up for sale.

He couldnt get a truck there quick enough!

I'm not one to really care what people pay for a car then sell it to me or whoever to make a profit, especially a car yard, as I know they are making money out of me and thats cool. It's a business, he has to make money to survive.

if I'm happy with a particular price, then there isnt a problem really. Same goes with public sellers on ebay or whatever, yet in my experience selling bikes or cars or parts, I don';t rip anyone off, I just sell for market value or below it. It's just a shame that a lot of people DO rip others off and they don't have a conciense with it. That bothers me, as I've been on the wrong side of that numerous times.

I know this 912 isn't going to be a $2000 fix. If it was, it would be a $20,000 car, but I have budgeted for that over 6,12 or even 24 months and enjoy the ride along the way...probably!

At the end, I know it's been fixed up to what I want, a 60's classic Porsche, and not the converted mid 70's car I thought I was going to have to buy within my budget which I love, but not exactly what I wanted. I'm just a guy that loves old cars, same as my missus (she was the one that told me to just buy it!) I'm not loaded, so it will be done bit by bit as a hobby with a helluva result at the end.

I know I'm rambling (shut up Jnr) but to me, owning a Porsche is THE dream as far as I'm concerned, whether it be a 4cylinder or a 6, I don't really care.

You can keep your $100k Monaro's and Chevy's, of which I have owned in the past, but a 60's 911 shape is the mutt's doo dah's

Great words Lee, I love old cars with you....Good luck with your project.

desismileys_1017.gif

P.S. if I give you my phone number can you get your missus to give my missus a ring please.

Great story, enjoy.

PS: Your Mrs must have talked to my Mrs or visa versa.

Quote:  "You've talked about it for so long, just buy the bloody thing"

......and she thought thats was the end of it  :rolleyes:

Hahaha,nah, I mentioned that I'd had a look at one for a laugh last week (havent we all?) and she said just buy it.

WHAT THE??? Ok then,cheers

Just waiting for the onslaught of what it's REALLY gunna cost me though

I should add that I owned Monaro's and Chevy's when they were being sold for $3500. Ya think I'm kicking meself now! 

P.S. if I give you my phone number can you get your missus to give my missus a ring please.

The only reason your Mrs needs to speak to Lee's Mrs is if she makes better sausage rolls than Pam.

Hahaha,nah, I mentioned that I'd had a look at one for a laugh last week (havent we all?) and she said just buy it.

Just waiting for the onslaught of what it's REALLY gunna cost me though

That will be the onslaught from the missus or the car....... Or both, good luck there

Cool. Glad to know it wasnt a figment of his imagination. I don't know the guy personally

Ya know how it is with people selling cars, people say its an old lady's Sunday church car when in reality its a thrashed out race car

EDIT;  I must say a huge thanks to Steve (Wasserkuhl) for finding the build history on the 912 and having a chat with a Porsche noob.

The car was delivered to California and was actually black from the factory, which would explain why it looks to be painted with house paint. Hmmmm, there maybe a colour change coming up I reckon!

Archived