LeeM

Bit of a productive day today

Pulled the carbs off and went mad cleaning them. 

Dropping a nut into oblivion probably took 900 hours to try and find with some skinned knuckles but was located!

Pulled some engine bits off with the view to repainting them before I get it running again, and did some general cleaning in the engine bay.

Started removing the interior for when I eventually get the pan repaired and making some new rear seat pads. The rest is in good nick, so nothing else needs repairing.

Will start doing some body sanding tomorrow, and seeing where the minor rust is to start cutting that out.

The left hand door looks to be the worst of it, nothing too bad, yet there doesnt seem to be any rust, just a dent I think

Thanks to Steve (wasserkuhl) for dropping in and giving me some advice and checking the car over, it's appreciated fella

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey from one 912 porsche owning Lee to another - CONGRATS!

This is mine as delivered just washed.

Note to remember - restoration on a 912 costs the same as a 911.

IMG_0062.jpg

Murf did you buy this 4-5 years go out of Sydney , workshop full of American oz muscle?

I think you've asked this before yes.

Dropped it to Melbourne and found its service history.

It was owned by a queenslander who traded it to the NSW guy.

For a camaro and a harley - I've got the advert he was asking $46k for it.

About 4 months of pestering the owner I got it for less than half that amount.

It was still registered in QLD. Anyway here now not leaving.

Huh..falling out of the tree must of impacted a lot more than me butt...all comes back now. Remember the qld seller being aspirational. How has it worked out condition wise. Liked the colour then and now. Was it a repaint?

Now Back to Lees story

michel - my name is also Lee - so i shall continue - LOL

His price was high but he got a deal done. NSW seller i think got stung.

But when it went in for the rwc and service the long history had plenty of cash thrown at it.

A lot more than what I paid. Heaps more. Colour is original. Not sure if the paint is. Interior all original.

Just added a wood steering wheel. Condition as a daily driver is very nice and clean.

Hey Lee, Very nice!

Mine won't be a concourse car or mega show stopper, just a car with shiny paint, lowered and a cruiser/poser on the weekends.

With regards to resto prices, I'm quite surprised to be honest. Theyre not that much dearer than a Karmann Ghia.

I'm sourcing pan halves at the moment, and from Canada, theyre very close to KG's that I have enquired about before.

Woodgrain steering wheels on the other hand are a tad more expensive...like $4000 more expensive! Bugger that.

Ta mate

Idea's have changed since my last post here!

A mate who is an exceptional show car painter dropped in for a few too many beers, and gave his opinion on where I should be heading with the bodywork and paint side of it. I took it onboard, gave him a few more beers to shut up, and was going to continue with my plan of just fixing the minimal rust and pan work,taping up the windows etc and sanding back the white paint so that it could have a few coats to look shiny again just for rego (I'm VERY impatient)

Anyway, another mate just dropped in that builds his own VW's and has a ridiculously fast 56 Oval beetle (2.7ltr full house motor that snaps ya neck!) and a recently completed, very patina'd and slammed 57 Kombi panel I just drove (MAN what a bus) and he echoed first mateys sentiments.

Something like 'Hey dopey, it's a Porsche, you don't do things just to get rego, you do it properly you impatient twat'! 

Yeah well, thanks for that fella's, you just cost me a few grand more!

Anyway, I have just pulled the whole interior out except for the dash, door glass and popouts, wipers,blah blah blah, and taken every bit of chrome off the car with the view to taking back to factory black which is lurking underneath.

I know this will be a HUGE pain in the bum to get the body suitable for Black paint, but theyre right, it needs to be done and I need to be patient.........maybe!

Will see what loveliness lurks below the house paint and go from there

LeeM

LOL - see you in 2 years 

Most people I know who tear a vintage car apart

A - never put it back together

B - sell it as an incomplete project

C - have a child and need the cash sell it for less than they bought it cause the misses cracks it.

Good luck love to see pictures as you progress.

Yeah well, my plan WAS going to be easy, yet as Mark (jnr356) can attest to, I didnt hang onto cars too long. Thats changed since buying this thing.

I got hold of my mates sander and some advice which will save loads of time,and started on the left door today, as I knew that half way up it had a fair amount of bog in it, so I thought I may aswell start at the worst area. I wasnt wrong!

Nothing that can't be repaired, as I've done some hammer n dolly and lead wiping before with some decent results, so I'll give it a crack.

Failing that, I'll handball it off to someone that knows what theyre doing.

I will probably drop the engine soon to clean it up better than i have already and get a mate to check it over, I'll also replace all the gaskets etc whilst I'm at it

I may aswell do it now for peace of mind before we get it running again, 

All in all, I'm stoked to be doing it (it's my first attempt at a semi resto) though I know it will annoy the hell out of me not being able to drive it for longer than I planned.

Oh well, it's how it is and I just have to find that patience thing somehwere.

Will get some pics up soon, but theyll just be boring dismantled ones

Great story. I showed my GF (definitely NOT the missus) and she sais it was a nice looking car. Hmmmmmmm.........

hehehe. I have a good friend who has been lloking for a E34 BMW M5 for some years now. I found him a minter locally and he took his wife down to look at it. The first thing she said was "Why do you want this old red thing?" his faced dropped...........

He showed her a picture of my 912 and she said "Why can't you want something classy like that?"

They're not divorced yet..........

I'm noticing more and more women behind the wheels of Porsches. Not sure what their motivation is being behind them ie driving partners car, status symbol or actually an enthusiast. I imagine tho that as the years go by more and more women will be into cars. Look at Renee Gracie at age 18 doing her first year in the Carrera Cup. She seems to be a very well switched on young lady, perfect ambassador for women's motor sport.

When looking at Porsches I'm also finding the sellers aren't that surprised by my interest in Porsche. There's many of us out there.

So after all that, I think you might find your women being more and more understanding/open to your love of cars.

When my wife and I are out, Every now and then I see a car and exclaim " Oh yeah baby, thats the sh*t.."

She automatically scans for women and scolds me.

I keep telling her I only look at other cars as more than one woman=pain. Lots and lots of pain.

At least you can repair cars.

I'll get my coat..............

Archived