LeeM

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Come one Murf, youre only making this harder for me! It's going slow enough as it is! ;)

That car is my screensaver and inspiration. Mine will be as close to that as possible

Any idea which issue that is in?

Not much of an update on mine. I've been sanding for a few days, yet I'll probably send it off to the soda blaster in a month or so, as it's doing my head in with a shed that was probably designed for a GoGo mobile!

My main aim at the moment is to get it running again so I can move it around to get the pan repaired

Just got off the phone with painter mate. He was advising me that it's the easiest, yet expensive option. He also told me the same about the potential for rust later on, so I called the soda blaster and he advises that it won't, and will provide a written guarantee.

Quoted $800 and two days for the whole car which I thought was reasonable at $50 per hour. I'll weigh it up in the next month whether I do it or not, as I want to get it running asap.

In the meantime, Ive just finished getting one door back to bare metal with a Poly disc and grinder that took coupla hours, not days with using a smallish orbital sander.

I thought there was some repairs there that I wanted to check out, and yep, theres been some repairs done, yet done well with minimal bog, so I'm not too bothered about it.

It sounds extreme with using the Poly disc, but it doesnt damage the metal if youre not too agressive with it, and its quick.

I'm quickly learning that patience is a virtue, and I need to learn it and learn it very soon!

Well I finished taking the RH door back to bare metal and its ok, but does need some work to remove the crease in it. No rust thankfully.

The LH door however, is a different story!

No rust at all, but probably 15mm of bog to fill a dent the previous owner had not thought about repairing.

The metal seems soft and pliable, yet even with my lack of knowledge, I'd say it may need a new door skin. Will get my mate to see what he can repair it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report, but it's ALIVE finally! Ran briefly, but damn it sounded good! It's a good day  :D

Left hand door can be repaired so thats a bonus.

I've moved the car 90degrees (a bit hard when the brakes are locked on! New rotors and a caliper strip is imminent) so that I can access both sides, front and back of the car (I have a small shed) I've started removing bumpers and hood for paint strip OUTSIDE!

Never again will I strip paint off a car INSIDE the shed with a sander or poly disc on a grinder!

Pan repair is probably going to happen around July when blokey is ready, so I'll just keep sanding away then I'll be removing front suspension to renew bushes and whatever else i can find then repaint it all.

I hadnt planned on doing that, but whilst I'm there,I may aswell

Cheers mate

It's my first project that I'm actually going to see through to the end.

I'm HOPING to get most of it done by Xmas this year if all goes to plan.

My first goal to get it running again has been achieved quicker than I thought, yet the more I think about it, the bigger the list of things to do seems to get.

It's not a nut and bolt resto by any means, so I'll just get it to how I want it and enjoy it

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Been busy pulling more bits off the 912 and removing all the paint. and doing some dent knocking myself.

I'm pretty happy with the results so far, and I've not found many 'Aah crap' kinda problems, so thats good for me.

I also lowered the front of it for something to do when ya influential (read beer'd up) mates drop in!

It now sits 95mm off the ground to the lowest point and looks a lot better than it did. Thats roughly where it will be (and lowering the rear end to match) when It's eventually rego'd with either replica Fuchs or preferably some 15 x 6 Superlites I'm keen on.

I'll be buying some new disc rotors all round first though. These ones are toast!

I'm still aiming for it to be in paint by October, with a view to be at least driveable and sorted by early to mid 2014 ready for rego

Fingers crossed

• 3 months later...

Ok!

So October is here and I'm a little further on, though not as far as I would have liked!

In a nutshell, I'm doing a lot more little bits than I thought I would have, yet it's been a satisfying experience replacing or repainting parts.

I've also noticed quiet a few loose bolts here and there, so I'm going to go right through the whole car and check every nut n bolt.

Pulled all the hood, decklid, doors, bumpers etc off, and theyre at my mates for paint prep today.

Once my calipers are rebuilt and brakes put back together, I'll get it back on the ground and send it to my mates house so he can do all the bodywork and paint it.

He's talking late December, early January. so I'm HOPING to have it back home to reassemble mid January/early February.......maybe!

Fingers crossed.......again!

I removed the fuel tank yesterday to clean out the old treacle for fuel and a tiny bit of rust.

Thinking I'll totally strip it and repaint the thing. I've heard and seen that it's a bit of a nightmare to do, but the end result will be worth it

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, 2014......probably.......maybe........we'll see!

I'm taking my time to do things right (which is unusual for me with cars!) and the list just seem's to get longer every time I head into the shed. Think I should just open an account with Autohaus Hamilton the way things are heading!

If it takes longer, that just means I'll get a better result at the end, and I can say i did most of it myself

As the previous owner decided to drill extra holes in the decklid for the Porsche badge (smart!), We have to fill the holes and not fit the badge, That's unless I can find one that is period correct that can be attached with double sided tape or similar

Any idea's would be appreciated

As the previous owner decided to drill extra holes in the decklid for the Porsche badge (smart!), We have to fill the holes and not fit the badge, That's unless I can find one that is period correct that can be attached with double sided tape or similar

Any idea's would be appreciated

Speed holes - They make the car go faster!

• 9 months later...

Righto!

I knew I'd posted something here somewhere about my 912!

I'll load up some photo's when I transfer them from laptop to Photobucket tomorrow and try to keep ya posted.

The truck is booked for next Friday to send to my mates house for work on the pan and minor bodywork, then paint prep.

We've gone over it with a screwdriver in the sills and everywhere else that we think can house some rust, but it all seems pretty good.

The whole pan is being replaced, as it has patches here n there of tiny holes in the front half, but its ok under and behind the seats, yet we're just going to rip out the lot and put new stuff in there.

The body is in great shape with only very minor dents here n there, and everything lines up as it should, so we hope we can line them up again when we refit the doors etc.

My mate is not that experienced with bodywork, yet to see what he has done with 2 very knackered doors, I have no question that the whole body will be straight as a die.

We have deleted the sill trims and rear Porsche and 912 badges, as the holes in the decklid were way off where they should have been with the previous owner obviously drilling new holes, or shooting at it with a BB gun! I will be having a vinyl Porsche logo made from a 356 for the decklid, as I've seen it done previously and I like it. Better than drilling some holes and not liking it I spose!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I've become a bit of a purist since being a member of this forum, yet I do like modified or race cars, and as long as it can be changed back easily, I MAY do a couple of subtle mods. My car will be pretty low for cruising around.

It will have all the original interior, as it's in good nick now, though I will be fitting new carpet and using the original rubber mats.

After rego is sorted, I do wish to turn it into a bit of a hills blaster and the odd hillclimb or track day and fit a half cage and wider wheels n tyres, though thats a way off yet.

All in all, what you will see (hopefully by December) is an orginal Black 912 thats a bit lower.

I have given my mate a deadline of the end of October to be in paint, so we'll see how that goes, yet he is pretty keen to get into it.

Pic's soon as I can

Thats the good thing about it Hugh, I'm not doing the prep work!  :D

I did the paint removal of most of the thing ages ago. I've had enough! 

Have instructed my mate to take photo's though

Archived