Race Jack from Costco

RedMan

I have read on other forums that Costco sell an aluminium race jack for a good price.

Has anybody here bought one in Melbourne. I'm not a member so I can't check it out myself.

The rally crowd steers clear of these cheap jacks. The low weight is great for moving around a service park, but they invariably fail.

Our cars are worth how much? Low enough to risk on a crap jack?

Greg

i have one, its totally fine as far as im concerned, for 170odd bucks it definitely doesn't look like a kmart cheapy.... i would still use stands as a back up if im getting under a car regardless of weather its a costco or a pro brand one.

The rally crowd steers clear of these cheap jacks. The low weight is great for moving around a service park, but they invariably fail.

Our cars are worth how much? Low enough to risk on a crap jack?

Greg

Greg, the second a car is at working height, it should be supported by axle stands.

Also, once a car is raised, even if the jack were to suddenly fail, the suspension should be able to deal with the drop.

At issue isn't risk to the car but risk to the home mechanic.  Jacks are not for supporting the car, they are only for raising the car.  A more expensive (and better) jack does not make this any less true.

James

Very well put James.

The jack is to simply get the car in the air. 

Many guys on the Rennlist forum in the US have bought the Costco jacks amd have been very satisfied.

I can't imagine their source of product would be any different for Australia.

+1 James. I'm after a light weight low profile jack for track days where I have to change my front wheels.

I always put the wheel under the car if it's raised for any more than a quick change.

I would still like to research the Costco jack on the Net if anybody knows what brand it is.

"Greg, the second a car is at working height, it should be supported by axle stands."

Yes, I / we know that, which is why we have sill stands!

But if jack does not go up or fails part way up and the cars falls to the ground, it's no good is it...

It has happened.

I bought an Arcan brand low profile jack off ebay a while ago for $225.

One of these:

photo11cr.jpg

Not sure if it is exactly the same as the one sold at Costco but I am happy with it's quality and functionality. I can just get it under the front of my slightly lowered 911.

"Greg, the second a car is at working height, it should be supported by axle stands."

Yes, I / we know that, which is why we have sill stands!

But if jack does not go up or fails part way up and the cars falls to the ground, it's no good is it...

It has happened.

i've had a jack fail, and the car went back to sitting on it's wheels....

We need a Costco in QLD. I feel lost every time I have the urge to buy 6 TV's and 3 pallets of toilet paper. :P  Does anyone know where one could buy a similar jack in the rainy north? All I have found are super expensive of really bad cheap stuff I wouldn't lift my Esky with.

Picked up an Arcan jack from Costco last Friday, $169.99.  Build quality looks good.

Used it today to change the front wheels on the 944 which sits about 100mm of the deck, no problems.

It's a bit heavier than I expected but happy with purchase.

Garry

Picked up an Arcan jack from Costco last Friday, $169.99.  Build quality looks good.

Used it today to change the front wheels on the 944 which sits about 100mm of the deck, no problems.

It's a bit heavier than I expected but happy with purchase.

Garry

Hey Garry,

When did you get your 944, was it Marks car that you bought.

Jim

Hi Jim

No, not Marks.  I bought one that was on the PCV site.  Blue 944S2 set up for club sprints.

Only had it a week.  Still sorting it out.  My first outing on the track probably won't be until late April at Calder with PCV.

Garry

Hi Jim

No, not Marks.  I bought one that was on the PCV site.  Blue 944S2 set up for club sprints.

Only had it a week.  Still sorting it out.  My first outing on the track probably won't be until late April at Calder with PCV.

Garry

Congrats. on the new car.   Looks like the track bug has bitten.  See you at Calder.

Archived