Targa Tasmania 2013 Results

tazzieman

Notwithstanding local lad Jason White holding off a couple of Godzillas for his 4th straight win in the Lambo (electrical problems of past couple of years traced to a stray nut shorting out ciggy lighter socket!)...

...Porsches were the dominant marque. Rex Broadbent unfortunately crashed out on day 4 but the 944s and 911s were out in force. Reliable cars them.

Modern 5th , 10th

Early modern 2nd , 4th , 5th , 10th

Classic outright 3rd,
4th , 7th, 10th

Late classic handicap
1st , 2nd , 4th , 7th ,8th

TT13_finish_Porsches.jpg

TT13_finish_Porsches2.jpg

can't wait to see the footage. Great to see the 944s and other Porsche's doing so well.

Doing a targa is definitely on my bucket list

A tassie SMT tour should be in our thinking for later in the year or early '14. With enough notice we could make it a big one.

To be honest this was a very bad year for Porsche at TT.

I can't remember the last time Porsche did not win a competition class.

I would like to see Rex get a new car from Porsche Australia to take on the modern class.

Jim can't win in the rear wheel drive GT2.

He is always the fastest of the RWD cars, but to win may take the new turbo.

Not sure if the new GT3 will do the job as the wet roads kill the RWD cars.

I know one thing, I am sick of that white pancake winning.

The most frustrating thing is that people think modern Lambo's are Italian. :angry:

Like F1, Ferrari anly got good with German engineers.

Winning isn't everything Vas. Luck has a lot to do with TT. Rex was winning until he struck some bad luck.

The Porsches were extremely reliable .

You have to admit the White's are a good team. He has said "bring it on" each time , fact is he knows how to drive. After 16 targas. I'd rather see a Lambo win than a Nissan if we are to get personal!

Do you really believe at 65 Jim has the reflexes or caution to the wind attitude of JW? When you're a grandfather , life's priorities change. He's delighted to take a stock factory car and show it's worth on the toughest stage. 

Winning isn't everything Vas. Luck has a lot to do with TT. Rex was winning until he struck some bad luck.

The Porsches were extremely reliable .

You have to admit the White's are a good team. He has said "bring it on" each time , fact is he knows how to drive. After 16 targas. I'd rather see a Lambo win than a Nissan if we are to get personal!

Do you really believe at 65 Jim has the reflexes or caution to the wind attitude of JW? When you're a grandfather , life's priorities change. He's delighted to take a stock factory car and show it's worth on the toughest stage. 

That was my point Tazzie.

That's why I said Porsche need to get Rex in a new car.

Driving ability goes down hill after 35, that is a fact.

The tyre rule was always going to make it hard on the Porsches.

TT did not want a Porsche to win every year (like Jim in the 993 TT).

Also the mods you can get away with now in Classic makes it harder on those Porsches.

I think the new Turbo may be a car that can win again.  :)

Oh, and winning is everything.

Driving ability goes down hill after 35, that is a fact.

Reflexes remain very sharp until well after 50 , providing the man doesn't let himself go to seed. Unfortunately that's at least 90% of the >40 population. And it's a fact that every kg of XS fat helps synthesize more oestrogen and less testy stuff.

Jason is 40 ; 4 targas in a  row and wanting 4 more in the next 6 years by all accounts. He is lean and fit , which helps his cause.

Many drivers are fat , red faced and beefy and struggle to exit the car afterwards. Motor racing is a sport thus strength & fitness play a significant part.

Stop nitpicking Tazzie :D

Yes you can win at any age, but its all downhill after 35.

Not just in motor racing but any sport.

No driver gets any better after 35.

We don't see this so much in TT type events as the cars are all different.

If the whole field had the same car you would see the under 35s dominate.

Apropos the comments below , on a slightly OT note -

In Latvia in 2008 I competed  in the same class as a Ukrainian girevoy sport lifter who was then , and still is, open age world champion at 50 years. Know two other guys in mid 40s,  still WC...

One of his events I filmed , weights are 32kg each, 80% bw/rep  . Never met an Aussie gym rat who could do one rep , despite size. http://youtu.be/IC0BQxOAjmk He can lift 250kg off the floor and wins military martial arts comps vs whippersnappers. Yes marathons are NBD for this guy either. Human ability is only limited by the mind, especially the western mind. Ability in middle age is limited by social restrictions e.g. job , family and expense of training/travel. Even in the game golf, just to nitpick some more! It's your choice if you want to ride downhill to the nursing home. You gotta think more positively!

Stop nitpicking Tazzie :D

Yes you can win at any age, but its all downhill after 35.

Not just in motor racing but any sport.

Tazzie, driving is more about reaction times , not power lifting.

Just as in the game of golf we have had only a handful of golfers win majors after 35 we have had few F1 champs over 35 in modern racing.

Not just F1 but all motor sport is dominated by under 35s.

Its just a fact.

If you start racing karts at 8 years old you will not get any better after 35.

The whole positive thinking thing is nonsense and has been proven to be so.

Eastern philosophy has far more to do with no thinking, not positive thinking(topic for another day).

http://magazines.toastmasters.org/display_article.php?id=1261779

F! champs have had a gutful of training & racing after 25 years , and they do not need to work again like you or I. Family and pleasure becomes a different box to tick. 

Armchair opinions are all very well. You are not a sportsman any more than I am a golfer.

Now I'm off the waxing and polishing thread , even though it is proven waxing does not improve lap times. lol

"Armchair opinions are all very well. You are not a sportsman any more than I am a golfer."

It's not an opinion, its a fact.

I don't know anything about your golf game  :D

Question -  is your hobby trolling , or have you authored your own book of facts? I find it very hard to take your views without a large pinch of octane  :ph34r: btw judgement of the apex maketh the rally driver , esp for 930 drivers! This is a fact relayed to me by an '82 930 TT rallying neighbour well known for his huge balls.

http://oilpressure.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/when-do-indycar-drivers-get-old/

When Do IndyCar Drivers Get Old?

As the latest chapter of the Brett Favre saga unfolded on Tuesday, Favre explained that his body is no longer up to it. Ultimately, Favre said in so many words, that he has gotten too old. This got me to wondering about today’s IndyCar driver. When does an IndyCar driver get too old and what is it that makes them age?
First of all, without getting into an age-old debate, I completely believe that racecar drivers are athletes. Period. That being said, I fully recognize that what is considered old for an NFL player, may be the age that an IndyCar driver enters his or her prime. But the term “old” has changed in the last fifteen or so years in IndyCars. In the 1992 Indianapolis 500, there were five starters over the age of fifty and seven more drivers over the age of forty. That is more than one third of the field that was older than forty at Indy that year.
Fast forward to this year’s Indy 500, where we found no driver in their fifties and only five in their forties – with Davey Hamilton being the oldest at age forty-six. Even more extreme was 2005 when only two drivers were over the forty threshold.
When did forty become too old to drive? Al Unser won his fourth Indianapolis 500 at age forty-seven. Emerson Fittipaldi was still winning races as he approached forty-nine. Michael Andretti won as he was nearing forty and Mario Andretti won his last race at age fifty-three. Of course, what did all of these drivers have in common? They were all driving for first-rate teams in top-flight equipment. Unser and Fittipaldi won their last races driving for Roger Penske; Michael won his last race driving for Team Green while Mario was driving for Newman-Haas when he won at age fifty-three.
So many times we see drivers who are competitive and still want to race, yet they are relegated to lower level rides because they are getting long in the tooth. Team owners are reluctant to keep older drivers around when there are young guns eager to prove themselves no matter what price. That is why we saw sad examples of great drivers such as Johnny Rutherford and Gordon Johncock wrapping up their careers in inferior equipment. Could Rutherford have made the 1992 field in a Newman-Haas prepared car rather than the second Derrick Walker car he failed to qualify in? No one knows for certain. But his chances would have been much greater in a top-level ride.
What is it that makes a driver age? Obviously if one stays fit, they can stand the rigors of an eighteen race season, provided they can still squeeze into the car. Is there a discernable drop-off in reflexes? At my ripe old age, I honestly cannot tell that my reflexes have slowed down a bit – then again, I’m not driving a four-wheeled missile down a straightaway at 230 mph. That may make a slight difference.
My thinking is that it may be a natural maturation process. As a driver gets older, his priorities naturally shift. Chip Ganassi, the compassionate soul that he is, has been quoted as saying that a driver suddenly slows down when he has children. That’s why he was none too thrilled when Dixon and Emma announced they were expecting.
It is only natural to question how hard you should push the car, when you have a full household to go to after the race. The visions of Alex Zanardi, who lost both legs in 2001; or Paul Dana, who lost his life in 2006, are probably still present in most driver’s minds. When you are twenty-four, single and trying to make a name for yourself – you take that chance to see how over the edge you can take the car. When you are thirty-four and married with a couple of young children, you tend to think twice if it’s really worth going over the edge to gain that extra tenth of a second.
I have slowed down in my passenger car just in the last five years or so. I used to have a pretty heavy foot and had the speeding tickets to prove it. I still get a thrill out of going fast, but I’ve finally figured out that the thrill is not worth the fines and increases in insurance. Now if I need a thrill, I go to Disney World.
Certain drivers have become new fathers recently, and I question if we’ll ever see some of them win another race. Even if Sam Hornish comes back to IndyCars, I’m not sure he has the edge anymore. The same goes for Dan Wheldon. Tony Kanaan’s crew won’t give him the opportunity to see if he still has the edge. They seem more intent on keeping him ablaze all the time. The biggest risk he takes these days is climbing into an AGR car. It still remains to be seen what fatherhood will do to Scott Dixon’s lap times. Dario Franchitti is thirty-six but still fast. He also has no kids.
So what gives? Children didn’t used to slow drivers down. How do you explain the drivers of my childhood having success into their forties and sometimes their fifties, while the drivers of today slow down shortly past age thirty? Do today’s drivers put more emphasis on fatherhood than those of twenty and thirty years ago? I don’t have the answer, but it is something to think about.
Today’s drivers are more fit than any others in history. Their fitness should keep them driving well into their forties and fifties. Obviously, the aging process has no effect there. It’s what is going on between the ears that is aging the drivers of today.
George Phillips

Being an old fat bald headed fart who,s been there and done that, I think I am qualified to add my bit.

I think you both have relevant points but time to just say to each other....

"I agree to disagree"

Regards,

Niko

I enjoyed battling with younger drivers in competition and still do.

Would always shake hands before battle and after as well. The ones with the right attitude learn quickly and when given instruction follow advice.

After a while they can beat you, but not every day.

They move on to faster machines and along comes another young bloke to challenge you. This is the buzz of competition and you do it as long as you want to.

Debating is competition as well, just make sure you shake hands !     :)

Being an old fat bald headed fart who,s been there and done that, I think I am qualified to add my bit.

I think you both have relevant points but time to just say to each other....

"I agree to disagree"

Regards,

Niko

I always agree with Niko....he knows people.    :ph34r:

ps.  I hope you and your old digger mates had a good ANZAC Day.

I always agree with Niko....he knows people.    :ph34r:

ps.  I hope you and your old digger mates had a good ANZAC Day.

Thanks Harvs, actually up in sunny Mildura, and did the march with the locals. Great country town reception.

Unfortunately been as crook as a dog for last couple of days and didn't,t even have a beer. Bugga!

Apropos the comments below , on a slightly OT note -

In Latvia in 2008 I competed in the same class as a Ukrainian girevoy sport lifter who was then , and still is, open age world champion at 50 years. Know two other guys in mid 40s, still WC...

One of his events I filmed , weights are 32kg each, 80% bw/rep . Never met an Aussie gym rat who could do one rep , despite size. http://youtu.be/IC0BQxOAjmk He can lift 250kg off the floor and wins military martial arts comps vs whippersnappers. Yes marathons are NBD for this guy either. Human ability is only limited by the mind, especially the western mind. Ability in middle age is limited by social restrictions e.g. job , family and expense of training/travel. Even in the game golf, just to nitpick some more! It's your choice if you want to ride downhill to the nursing home. You gotta think more positively!

That vid is awesome taz. I've been training with a strength and conditioning coach for a year now. It's fantastic for the mind, body and spirit. My coach is 40 and in the best shape of his life even after rupturing his ACL last year. Injuries and age don't hold you back, the mind does!

This is simply a reply to Taz and not a post designed to flame this situation.

No drama guys.

We can all move on.

I am all for a good debate.

We can agree to disagree.

No doubt sometimes I can be "over enthusiastic" even annoying.

Sometimes over the top.

However, to suggest that I am a troll is a bit unfair.

Never my intention and down right uncool.

Lets move on.  :)

Archived