How did you collect your Porsche?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both my 930s are boring stories that have been told.

However, In 97 my dad bought a brand new 993tt.

The day it was ready for pick up dad had some work to do in the city and asked me to drive it back to Traralgon. (2 hour drive)

After twisting my arm we set off early that morning.

If you have ever bought a new Porsche you will know how long the whole transaction can take.

When presented with your car at PCM, they go through this whole extended introduction to the car.

Honestly this can go on for a long time.

How to turn the key.

How to close the boot (with the right part of the hand)

How to close the doors.

So on and so on, it is so detailed after about an hour we just started laughing.

Anyhow, it was finaly time to go and I jumped in the drivers seat.

Just about to take off when dad looked for the spare key and found nothing.

He went in to ask where it was only to be told the car does not come with a spare.

It was another $300 for a spare.

Try telling a Greek who has just paid $300k for a new car that they want $300 extra for a spare key. :lol:

After sorting out the key issue I was away.

Here I was, 26 years old driving a brand new Porsche turbo, in 1996 the best car in the world.

Having nothing to do that day I thought I would take my time.

Drivng back through Dandy I had a hilariously short drag with a hoon in his Monaro, then a great drive back.

When I got to Moe I turned of via the haunted hills road.

It was on this twisty road I realized just how good this car was, the brakes were on another planet.

Crazy speed, brake and turn, it was heaven on wheels and with a huge smile on my face I tested that car out.

Another twenty minutes and I was parking it in dads shed.

It was not my car but one of the best days of my life.

I was lucky enough to do thousands of Ks in that car over the years, and lucky enough to have a father that would let me drive it when I wanted. :)

Congrats on the car Amanda.

And well done on doing so much research and asking questions before buying.

Can't wait to see you with that same "Porsche smile" we all know, driving your car. :)

That's an awesome story Vas. I'm sure many of us reading this now are thinking  " geez I wish I was Vas sister/brother"   you are lucky indeed and also lucky that you realise how lucky you are!

Thanks so much for the congrats.  This is a special forum.  I know for a fact that my endless questions and indecisiveness wouldnt have sat well with many other forums.  I'm very grateful for all the advice and new friends I've made on PFA.

I'm already smiling :D

I picked up my first P car (1970 911E) from the seller in South Melb. Promptly drove it to a mates place and we went for a flat out thrash up the Monash Freeway, each taking turns to see how fast it would go in each gear. That was in 1980

Then I drove it sedately home to Bendigo and ended up getting a speeding ticket driving through bloody Malmsbury doing 87kph.

Enjoy your drive and make sure you figure out how the cruise control works before you leave.

bought car on eBay on Friday

Dad and I left Brisbane Saturday for Geelong via Tamworth and Seymour

Did the Point Cook Museum and Pukka Tank Museum

Stayed in Boorowa on the way back at 9:40pm from the Highway turnoff to make the Chinese takeaway close at 10pm (then Tamworth again)

We drove back together without an issue!

AEST 1:13pm, Friday 10th May.

Phone call received from Amanda.....she is currently refuelling at Yass, NSW and is heading back home to Melbourne in her Boxster.

Quote "...I'm one very happy camper..."

Sounds like she's bonding with her car nicely!

Well my tale can be added to this thread. Home safe and sound and happily in love!!!

Today couldn't have turned out better if someone else planned it. Weather, seller, flights, car, trains everything lined up for me.

I was on the road by 10am and home at 7:30pm in the Flemington area.

The car is fantastico!!! Every time I stopped, all I wanted to do was get back in it and keep on going!

As someone mentioned abov, now I want to go stand in the garage and stare at her!!

I don't think I've even got a speeding fine yippee

I had a guy, whilst fuelling up say geez that's a bloody nice car. I said with a big smile 'thanks man have a good one' and then going thru the Submarine town who's name escapes me, got quite a few waves. Ha funny!!

Really great day. And so pleased I did it by myself. I highly recommend this interstate method of getting a car home:)

Now I need to get 1000 squished bugs off the front of it.

EDIT: meant to add. This car is so comfortable too. I just sat in it for 10 hours with very little time out during my breaks and I feel great. The SLK would have killed me sitting in it that long! Any soreness I feel is due to the dead lifts I was doing last night at gym, not the drive.

Awesome stuff Amanda, and no better way to get to know her than an interstate trip. I drove mine over to Adelaide a little while after I got her and jumped out of the car 800Ks later like I had been relaxing on the couch all day.  IF you find yourself looking back at her every time you leave her, don't worry we all do that ;)

Awesome stuff Amanda, and no better way to get to know her than an interstate trip. I drove mine over to Adelaide a little while after I got her and jumped out of the car 800Ks later like I had been relaxing on the couch all day.  IF you find yourself looking back at her every time you leave her, don't worry we all do that ;)

I did that previously. I'll be unbearable with this car. I left it to buy take away coffees. Ordered them and then went outside to watch her!!  

Holbrook. Standard stop when travelling ha k from Sydney.

My son and myself were very confused as we drove by the sub so far inland.

yeh it's a bit errrr what the??? Friendly there tho!

Good for you Amanda. Glad to hear you're happy with the car.

thanks uncle - I'm stoked!  

Congratulations on the safe delivery of your new baby. :)

Cheers Harv! It took awhile but, as you all saw I wasn't ready and didn't know what I wanted! Happy ending.

Hi All, newbie to the forum and enjoying the posts.

Just bought my first Porsche on Thursday, flew down from Brisbane (had the car pre-inspected) and after some stiff negotiation i drove back that day. I intended to stop at Coffs Harbour for the night as i did not get away from Sydney till lunchtime, but was enjoying it so much i just kept going. 

Only downside was...... no can't think of one or i just didn't care:)

Hi All, newbie to the forum and enjoying the posts.

Just bought my first Porsche on Thursday, flew down from Brisbane (had the car pre-inspected) and after some stiff negotiation i drove back that day. I intended to stop at Coffs Harbour for the night as i did not get away from Sydney till lunchtime, but was enjoying it so much i just kept going. 

Only downside was...... no can't think of one or i just didn't care:)

Welcome aboard! I think we need pics of your new ride!

Congrats too :)

Ended up finding mine on the Central Coast. Misses and I left home at 0700 and returned home with it by 0930. I then removed the rego label and ETag before we spent the rest of the day showing family and lapping Newcastle and Lake Macquarie.

Best day of my life.

G'day Caledonian. Open up a photobucket account, upload your photo to photobuckrt. Once on photobucket, copy the image number of the photo. Hop back onto forum onto a new post,right click your mouse and hopefully your photo will appear.

Try that and good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Caledonian. Open up a photobucket account, upload your photo to photobuckrt. Once on photobucket, copy the image number of the photo. Hop back onto forum onto a new post,right click your mouse and hopefully your photo will appear.

Try that and good luck with it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try now..

Open the image you want to post in photbucket

click *direct* on RHS. This copys the link.

Then in the thread here, click reply and when you want to insert pic in that post click image button. This brings up a dialogue box.

hold the control key down and hit V key(paste). Then hit enter and voila :)

Nice car, you must be stoked

Will leave the rest for you to post ;)

JET911gt.jpg

Mine arrived at my office on the back of a truck - I'd never seen the 1966 912 before except in a few photos.

Funny my office at the time was at the Duttons building in South Yarra. It caused a bit of confusion when there crew

came out to get the documents from the driver thinking it was for them. Not the pleb who looked at the cars in the showroom whilst buying coffee everyday whilst being ignored.

Funny.

Archived