How did you collect your Porsche?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove mine home from Melbourne to Brisbane just yesterday !

Awesome car !

B

Yay well done Ben. When you got home, did you go back out to your garage and drive it again? The first week felt like the first time I drove mine every time I got in it!

:)

Driving 11 hours straight from Sydney, dropped off my copilot and pulled into the garage at home..

1st thing the kids wanted to do was take the car for a spin, who was I to say no ??

:P

Well I'll weigh in now and even give you guys some photatoes.

I picked up my GT3 this weekend just gone and on the advice of some members here and Sam I took the inland route through the new England and down into Armidale for a stop over on Saturday night. We stayed at a placed called quality hotels powerhouse.. it was awesome, well above my expectations, had a good restaurant and bar.

heres the route.

ltx.png

So my pics start from day two because day one was boring as bat shit. 

Hit the road and head out of Armidale

bpc6.jpg

It didn't take long to hit some road works, so I crawled over these at turtle speed

dfxe.jpg

A little while later I had to pull over......

a1l4.jpg

Because.... 

I had a dump truck pull out on me I could not see ahead too far and while I always maintain good braking distance I saw the dead kangaroo laying on the middle of the road way too late. by the time I could stop to see what might have happened it was way too late.... SO If any Aussie members are on Thunderbolts way and sees a dead kangaroo with a splitter rammed fair up its dead ass, your welcome to it! Its an OE 996.2 GT3 one, no need to thank me.  :lol:

atgk.jpg

Well as you climb into the barrington ranges the scenery gets real nice

8jo8.jpg

At the top, you are greeted with these views! 

vtaw.jpg

Even the car gets a view from the lookout!! 

jvmk.jpg

alas there was more road works... this combined with some of the rough roads we had endured had me thinking what the **** am I doing?  :rolleyes:

qq74.jpg

But now she's home safe and sound I can look back and say it was well worth it and probably one of the best drives I have done in this country! 

fltr.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the images, there is a lot of nice scenery on this drive that I did not get to capture, any of you who haven't done this drive please put it on your to do list! Maybe take an SUV though... 

The car was flawless, its an amazing machine! I need to get some track time now to familiarise myself with it! girlfriend is able to sleep in it so I guess it gets her approval too? (not that I needed it) 

Thanks guys.. a brilliant suggestion from all that recommended this route!  B) not sure I'd take the car on it again though, its a pretty damn hard slog in it.

I was glad to drive the A1 to the office this morning though, I can have a coffee and hear myself think in the morning.  :lol:

Blasted it back to Melbourne from Adelaide Saturday afternoon....about 5 hours of absolute pouring rain...conditions could not have been worse..ran like a train!!

more details to come shortly...

• 2 weeks later...

Picked my project up on a trailer with a truckload of spares, got home finished the panel work, rego and presto just like a bought one and only 17,000 Kms on the engine and drive train. Networking and right place and time brings opportunity and rewards.

Have not stopped driving it since with 14K in it's first year.

This is mine the day I picked her up from Port Kembla after she sailed out from the UK on a RoRo car carrier. I had the trailer made whilst the car was in transit. The combination worked well!

emmyau.jpg

Blasted it back to Melbourne from Adelaide Saturday afternoon....about 5 hours of absolute pouring rain...conditions could not have been worse..ran like a train!!

more details to come shortly...

Oh no re the rain!!! But it's also the best way to get to know your car in the worst conditions :)

I flew to Melbourne and drove mine back to Sydney a day later. 

Excellent - seems to be many Porsches being traded back and forth between Melb > Syd and vice versa!

Picked my project up on a trailer with a truckload of spares, got home finished the panel work, rego and presto just like a bought one and only 17,000 Kms on the engine and drive train. Networking and right place and time brings opportunity and rewards.

Have not stopped driving it since with 14K in it's first year.

Excellent work! So is that 14km with the car being a weekend toy??

This is mine the day I picked her up from Port Kembla after she sailed out from the UK on a RoRo car carrier. I had the trailer made whilst the car was in transit. The combination worked well!

emmyau.jpg

Now that looks like a great setup Kelly! 

• 1 month later...

The collection fantasy was to include photos of the Taj Mahal/Brooklyn Bridge/Arc De Triomphe/or even the Dog on the Tucker Box in the background.

The reality was much different with the only photo opportunity being one of the McDonalds at the twin servos at Wyong! 

How was it?

Once the traffic cleared, the traffic lights disappeared and the speeds got higher, great!

The guy who recovered the steering wheel did a great job and I also need to acknowledge Scott for coming in on a Sunday morning to let me pick it up.

Problems?

Just have an intermittent connection issue with the oil pressure gauge so that when I drive over a rough road it loses its reading momentarily.  Expect it to be a simple clean and tightening of a connector somewhere. 

Also I didn't get to drive it more as I hadn't finished emptying my garage to fit it in.... :(       

post-1350-0-51397400-1378632248_thumb.jp

Landed in Melbourne at 8.00am for inspection and test drive. Deal done and on the road by 10.00am.

Drive back to Canberra was done in 32-35 degree heat, no air con in the SC...... Neil Diamond Hot August Night only CD other than country music avaiable at Glenrowan servo. Perfect!! 7 hours later arrived home absolutely exhausted and a little dehydrated. The best drive of my life without question. Giggled like a little kid the whole way.

Landed in Melbourne at 8.00am for inspection and test drive. Deal done and on the road by 10.00am.

Drive back to Canberra was done in 32-35 degree heat, no air con in the SC...... Neil Diamond Hot August Night only CD other than country music avaiable at Glenrowan servo. Perfect!! 7 hours later arrived home absolutely exhausted and a little dehydrated. The best drive of my life without question. Giggled like a little kid the whole way.

sounds awesome, windows down at highway speeds going deaf to Neil Diamond and some flat 6 warble!

It was! Didn't want it to end.

I am still amazed that such a competent sports car also doubles as such a great GT car.

Recently did a trip to Syndey leaving home at 5am. Watching heavy fog form into droplets and dance off the headlight ring up along the torpedo tubes at sunrise around Sthn Highlands was priceless. (just read that sentence back, I think the SC has sent me soft in the head...)

Thanks Niko.

I just have to work out how to upload images! Hence the vacant avatar. I also have some great hi-res shots taken for the latest edition of Performance Garage magazine that I will post when I can sort myself out.

Cheers

Michael

Let me know if you can't fathom out the photo loading problem and I will send you a PM and happy to try and assist.

It was! Didn't want it to end.

I am still amazed that such a competent sports car also doubles as such a great GT car.

Recently did a trip to Syndey leaving home at 5am. Watching heavy fog form into droplets and dance off the headlight ring up along the torpedo tubes at sunrise around Sthn Highlands was priceless. (just read that sentence back, I think the SC has sent me soft in the head...)

Love your enthusiasm!  

Enjoy that SC :)

• 5 weeks later...

Left home 4am for 6:30am flight to Perth, collected car by 9am, drove around Perth and Fremantle for a while then dropped car to CEVA logistics, cab back to airport 5pm Tiger flight home (late, full of ferals), tucked up in bed at home by 1:45am......

A memorable 22 hour day which included 8 hours on planes and a few hours of porsche driving,

Early night tonight!! Counting down the 8 working days until delivery in Melbourne.

Ps

Yes I contemplated the drive - too far, too many days out of action.

• 3 weeks later...

I left home in a cab for the airport at 5.30 with a work colleague, we caught the 7.00 to Adelaide and arrived about 8.30 in the city, met the vendor, signed the disposal notice and headed of to his car space.

He backed out into a sunny spot so we could inspect the paint work, wow!  hand washed weekly and detailed once a month, my friend and I where stunned, the condition of the car was like new, we went through a few of the controls I was unsure of (voice control and bluetooth), he then said I have filled the fuel up for you, this guy was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, a true gentleman.

We headed off made a couple of sales calls in the Adelaide suburbs and then started the journey home.

photo_zps92c618e8.jpg

A quick visit to the Porsche Centre Adelaide to thank them for doing the PPI.

IMG_1755_zpsd5cd2e97.jpeg

IMG_9513_zps46dbfcf6.jpeg

A few stops and driver changes and got back home by 7.30, not an exciting drive but an easy way to get a good feel for the car, tomorrow morning its wash the bugs off.

Archived