Estimate

AUDCHFCNYDKKEURGBPHKDINRJPYSGDUSD
 20 000 - 30 000

Porsche Type 917 Miniature Engine

Summary

•  
  • Lot number 

Description

To be offered at auction without reserve at RM Sotheby's New York - Driven By Disruption event, December 10, 2015. To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/.

Estimate:
$ 20,000 - $ 30,000 US

OFFERED WITHOUT RESERVE

Bhp more than sufficient, 54 cc DOHC air-cooled horizontally opposed 12-cylinder engine with twin turbochargers and direct-port mechanical fuel injection. Scale: 1:4

• Scale replica of the venerable 917 engine, including twin turbochargers
  • Crafted by one of Canada's most respected engineers
  • A totally unique collector's item

Astonishing is the word that sprang to mind when Porsche introduced the incredible Le Mans-winning Type 917 flat-12 engine in the late 1960s. In twin-turbocharged form, the 917 utterly dominated the Can-Am series. Now imagine that 5.4-liter monster, capable of producing as much as 1,500 horsepower, in one-fourth scale. That was Canadian engineer Herb Jordan's vision, and over a four-year period from 1980 to 1984, he created a fully operational miniature of this motor in his home workshop. The late Mr. Jordan, a long-time member of the Toronto Society of Model Engineers, was known as IBM Canada's Mr. Inventor. He even built his own rotary-valve motorcycle and his own Formula III racing car.

After designing and fabricating a working scale model of the Type 904 four-cam engine (also on offer), Jordan drew up plans for a miniature Type 917 powerplant. Using a 10-inch lathe, milling machine, and various other tools, he patiently created the countless aluminum alloy, steel, and brass parts needed to make this wonderful replica. Jordan's flat-12 displaces a mere 54 cubic centimeters and can spin at an incredible 24,000 rpm. The crankshaft is machined from a single billet. The gear-driven mechanical fuel injection pump is the size of half a pencil. Tiny oil lines are even properly wire-braided, and the engine features beautifully machined and finned cylinders and cam covers. With 8.5:1 compression, this motor can produce more than sufficient horsepower on methanol with the help of two tiny turbochargers. Though frequently demonstrated by Jordan when originally built, the engine has not been run for some time and will therefore require careful service prior to any further use. The engine measures 15 inches long by 8 inches wide by 7 inches tall and weighs approximately 15 pounds.

This astonishing work of engineering art would be a perfect complement to any collection of Porsche racing cars and memorabilia.

• 1 month later...

Norm,

I have bought vinyl decals from eBay seller hoon1959 (Australia) & waterslide decals from eBay seller 2012tbdecals (Italy).

My 1/2 scale 1988 Senna helmet is the earlier version with the Marlboro chevron already attached, I just added the Marlboro letters vinyl decal.

http://www.amazon.com/Maisto-Porsche-Cayman-Diecast-Vehicle/dp/B000WZ7TNE

and quite a few on Ebay Australia.

Is yours a Minichamps or a Maisto ?

Maisto.

I've had a self imposed ban on buying models until my car is finished, but it was local and cheap. Same as a nice 1:24 old Corgi 904 in the original box I'm waiting on at the moment. Bargain at $30

You could always paint it black and sell it to Niko.

Negotiate Niko...original colour code is important in Porsche circles.  If it's had a colour change knock him down...and just go into the deal knowing you won't get as much for it when you sell it in the future.  And make sure it was Oz delivered!

• 4 weeks later...