Any Porsche watch guys/gals

Here's my Heuer Silverstone; a re-edition of the original mid 1970's watch, famously worn by Ferrari F1 racer Clay Regazzoni. 

These came out in 2010 to mark TAG Heuer's 150th anniversary and were limited to 1860  pieces.

gcpzTJY.jpg

Edited by Alex69T

Not a watch person per se but I was given a Tag watch a few years ago as a gift.  Since then it’s had the mechs replaced once and been “serviced” twice because it constantly runs slow or stops.  It has gone back AGAIN because it stopped AGAIN and they called me the other day after 4 weeks to tell me there is nothing wrong with it, just needs a service.  That will be $350 sir.  Jesus I can buy a nice watch for that.  It’s fair to say I’m pretty pissed off, so watch folk, is this normal?  Any suggestions other than tying the bloody thing to a brick and “delivering” it through their shopfront?

While I wait weeks for my watch to be fixed, I’m wearing a fake Tag I bought in 2012 for $30 in Vietnam.  Never been worn, slapped it on last week and it’s worked perfectly ever since.  I made the Tag guy very aware of the irony.....?

Not a watch person per se but I was given a Tag watch a few years ago as a gift.  Since then it’s had the mechs replaced once and been “serviced” twice because it constantly runs slow or stops.  It has gone back AGAIN because it stopped AGAIN and they called me the other day after 4 weeks to tell me there is nothing wrong with it, just needs a service.  That will be $350 sir.  Jesus I can buy a nice watch for that.  It’s fair to say I’m pretty pissed off, so watch folk, is this normal?  Any suggestions other than tying the bloody thing to a brick and “delivering” it through their shopfront?

While I wait weeks for my watch to be fixed, I’m wearing a fake Tag I bought in 2012 for $30 in Vietnam.  Never been worn, slapped it on last week and it’s worked perfectly ever since.  I made the Tag guy very aware of the irony.....?

For some reason this seems to be a continuous issue with Tags. Few stories in this thread if you can be bothered going though it. 

Is it normal? No. For example, my friend owns an older late 90's IWC Portuguese. Never been serviced. He wears it mostly weekends as he's a mechanic as you can imagine what'll happen to a watch. Yes it's beyond due for a service.

But if you get it sorted, Just wear it day to day and enjoy it. Because it's a gift, i always find it sad to sell or trade it in so i couldn't do or recommend that. 

Is it normal? No.

If your watch is a few years old, it most likely has an ETA movement.  These movements are used by many different brands including Omega, Blancpain, Lonigines, Rado, Tissot, etc, etc, not just TAG Heuer.  I guess what I'm saying is you could have bad luck with any of those.

If your watch is a few years old, it most likely has an ETA movement.  These movements are used by many different brands including Omega, Blancpain, Lonigines, Rado, Tissot, etc, etc, not just TAG Heuer.  I guess what I'm saying is you could have bad luck with any of those.

If you want to get technical, those manufactures buy the bits and put them together, not already made. For example, IWC and Tag will both use the valjoux 7750. But IWC highly modify them where tag will just assemble it into their watch. 

Most of tags watches that aren't chronos will use a sellita movements which are different than the ETA Longines use. It's no secret that a lot of watch manufactures use ETA, Sellita or Valjoux movements, but it does get assembled by the watch manufacture. 

Omega mostly for the past few years use their own Co-axial movement, and the classic mechanical speedmaster is still inhouse. Blancpain have their own movements too. 

But like i said, And a few people on here have had issues with their Tag watches, and i've had friends have issues with tags also. It's not an unheard of thing. It could possibly be something to do with the assembly line. 

@DJM if you are looking for alternative repairer, rather than taking the watch to TAG, who charge a bomb, I can recommend a jeweller that I have been going to for over 30 years, Ken Ross Jewellers in High Street Ashburton.  He is a master when it comes to watch repairs and reasonably priced too.  Example, battery replacement and pressure test at TAG $145, Ken $40.  I also recently had my 1970 Seiko Chronometer fully restored and it looks brand new again with all new seals etc ($400).  Ken is pretty old now but still works about 1 day a week, his son has taken over the repairs mostly now but I still highly recommend this business.

@DJM if you are looking for alternative repairer, rather than taking the watch to TAG, who charge a bomb, I can recommend a jeweller that I have been going to for over 30 years, Ken Ross Jewellers in High Street Ashburton.  He is a master when it comes to watch repairs and reasonably priced too.  Example, battery replacement and pressure test at TAG $145, Ken $40.  I also recently had my 1970 Seiko Chronometer fully restored and it looks brand new again with all new seals etc ($400).  Ken is pretty old now but still works about 1 day a week, his son has taken over the repairs mostly now but I still highly recommend this business.

cool thanks phil.  Current repair is underway, will look up Ken when it inevitably shits itself again ?

• 1 month later...

I actually picked up a Tudor black bay last month. I'm not to much of a dive watch person, but i've always wanted one. It was this or a Rolex sub, but sub just didn't appeal to me for a few reasons plus the Red bezel was way to appealing for me to say no. I bought it on a steel bracelet but also purchased the tudor distressed leather strap too. 

26797558339_5860c170ba_c.jpg

Also here's some photos of a few Patek Philippes as i have my name down for one,  they where more than kind enough to bring out a bunch for me to handle and try on.

Here's a 5327 & a 5270

24701964778_846044ab21_c.jpg

5270 on my wrist

38517301516_f2d2aeb9d8_c.jpg

5170 on my wrist

38542331892_c50eec29da_c.jpg

24702032358_6ba840a10a_c.jpg

And here's an A Lange & Söhne Zeitwerk (which was probably to big for my wrist but absolutely beautiful and heavy!!)

37686009805_42c8b52183_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice B day present from the misses. Mentioned I needed a watch for summer when surfing so I wouldn’t be late home all the time. 2012 super ocean. She did well mint condition, awesome price with box and papers 😍👍

Updated photo with the rubber band

915B3360-E474-42D9-AAEB-2635844EB957.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Picked up this little gem, 1920 Rolex Oyster. Wasn’t really looking for another watch but stumbled upon it and couldn’t resist.  I suppose I don’t have to put too much thought into the Mrs Xmas present, she’s already wearing it 🙄.

keeps perfect time and just a very nice watch

Like your 52  @MARTY I have.a 52 as well. It was my dads given to him by my grandma when he turned 21. Unfortunately I don’t have the original band but constantly looking for one.

018EF8DE-80B3-4160-A7DC-0BB7B4E46BD7.jpeg

15 hours ago, sleazius said:

Archimede GMT.

Nice watch @sleaziusit’s not one I was aware of but just had a read up. I’m looking for a watch for daily and whilst traveling and Thought about a GMT. Might look into this one a little more, thanks

2 hours ago, Tips said:

Like your 52  @MARTY I have.a 52 as well. It was my dads given to him by my grandma when he turned 21. Unfortunately I don’t have the original band but constantly looking for one.

Nice watch @sleaziusit’s not one I was aware of but just had a read up. I’m looking for a watch for daily and whilst traveling and Thought about a GMT. Might look into this one a little more, thanks

You're welcome. I bought it for my Germany / Switzerland driving holiday earlier this year. Thought it fitting as its a german watch with a swiss movement.

Good value for the money. Accurate, and reasonably light for the size. Plus it looks awesome (if you happen to like Fliegers).

The deployant clasp is kinda shitty though so don't buy that. I bought a spare band from them with blue stitch that makes it look more casual.

2 hours ago, Tips said:

Hi @Tips nice watch mate the bracelet on mine is from 67 according to the numbers on it but it goes well with the watch,if I had my way I would have a drawer full of old Rolex watches I just love them.

• 2 weeks later...