Any Porsche watch guys/gals

This is my Omega Speedmaster (and my very hairy arm!) I was never really in to watches but I wanted something really special to remember my grandfather by. This is an upgrade of the original moon landing watch. The difference is a slightly bigger face and self winding.

1ed4f962-9a11-43d6-a46e-ffc7954ef367_zps

Nice one.

And changing the bracelet can make it look completely different...

5614779903_6a657d01ea_z.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

Choosing what watch to buy is harder then choosing what Porsche to buy...(that's a joke)

Porsches are German - so how about some German brands? These are all affordable ie under $1500 odd

Archimede - well known for their Pilot watches.

My fave the Pilot Chrono - $1200 ish new

IMG_3152JPG_800.jpg

Automatic Pilot - they come in various sizes and movements from approx $400

Archimede3.jpg

STOWA - a little pricier than above but lovely watches

DSCN7406.jpg

Pilot watch by STOWA

Stowa.jpg

Steinhart - also make versions of the Pilot watch but also do a great Submariner look diver. They have different color versions too. The one pictured is made to look like it has aged Tritium markers
STEINHART.jpg

These brands also make some models in very limited numbers like this 47mm Pilot Watch
Steinhart_3.jpg

Doug, I hate you for starting this thread!!!!!!!!!

I should have known better when you prompted conversation on watches whilst in the Qantas lounge on the way back from Rennsport.

I am now thinking of the ways I can covertly purchase some of these great time pieces!

I know a guy too who swapped out the leather seat covers on his Boxster. He made straps out of the old red leather hide for his Panerai (he's a clever bloke and hand makes them for a living) fantastic idea and they looked great.

I know a guy too who swapped out the leather seat covers on his Boxster. He made straps out of the old red leather hide for his Panerai (he's a clever bloke and hand makes them for a living) fantastic idea and they looked great.

I'm surprised he got enough leather for a single Panerai strap from a pair of car seats.

Hey Doug - how about this one?

courtesy of http://www.thewatchgallery.com.au/   -  go see Chris and have a look at what he has.  

945109_295622147240448_1832142255_n.jpg

Amanda the TAG Carrera's look fantastic...

but unfortunately I have heard a few too many stories like this...

Have a Tag Carrera (dont think its linked to the Carrera we all know) great looking watch - unfortunately its been to Sydney (for repairs) more times than I have.

Amanda, your use of the word "mechanical" is key.

I'm a big fan of clockwork watches.  Quartz, not so much.  Each to their own, but I don't understand the appeal of a quartz watch by a prestige brand.

Seiko do a largely un-trumpeted range called "Seiko 5".  Each of which has five key attributes:  automatic, day, date, water resist, shock resist.  Here's a an example which is not dissimilar to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms...

SNZH53.jpg

They're relatively inexpensive, keep superb time (I have a Seiko 5 that has led a fairly brutal life but still looks as new and keeps better time than my Speedy) and there are so many designs that you are bound to find one that you like the look of.

Amanda, your use of the word "mechanical" is key.

I'm a big fan of clockwork watches.  Quartz, not so much.  Each to their own, but I don't understand the appeal of a quartz watch by a prestige brand.

Seiko do a largely un-trumpeted range called "Seiko 5".  Each of which has five key attributes:  automatic, day, date, water resist, shock resist.  Here's a an example which is not dissimilar to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms...

SNZH53.jpg

They're relatively inexpensive, keep superb time (I have a Seiko 5 that has led a fairly brutal life but still looks as new and keeps better time than my Speedy) and there are so many designs that you are bound to find one that you like the look of.

You can buy an aftermarket dial known as the 'fifty five fathoms' to create the blancpain homage with these Seiko watches. They look fantastic.  The dial costs $35 to purchase, a few bucks for appropriate hands and then to have a watchmaker fit the dial and hands another $40 odd 

fe3c9f77.jpg

seiko_fff135.jpg

The dial above can be bought from http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/   he makes the FFF dials in batches and doesn't always have them available.

He also sells many other parts, so you can really go to town customising your own Seikos!

I have bought stuff from this site and it is 100% legit, I also know other Australians that also buy from him and have never had issues.

Here's a link to the actual FFF Dial - http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/show/244957

....but seriously....I don't wear watches on Sundays...!

2013-06-05234601_zps1052f33d.jpg

The black face one is my favourite Porsche driving watch........... B)

You have chrono fetish caveman :)  you need a Rolex Explorer II - designed for the adventurer and the non rotating bezel is perfect for caving as it doesn't move, means you don't accidently bump it and forget if its daytime or nighttime in the cave!

I'm not a victim of marketing dammit  :P

....but seriously....I don't wear watches on Sundays...!

2013-06-05234601_zps1052f33d.jpg

The black face one is my favourite Porsche driving watch........... B)

Nice collection of watches there Caver. Particularly interested in watch number two - have a liking to the white face watches lately.

On a different note any watch collectors out there have any watch winders? Interested in hearing your experience with them. I just ordered a couple of these:

41xsiotk-BL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

They are the Wolf Designs 456302 Module 2.7 Triple Watch Winder with cover. I should have asked this question before ordering I guess :huh:

Nice collection of watches there Caver. Particularly interested in watch number two - have a liking to the white face watches lately.

Thank you....nothing too expensive there, I just like some nice dressy watches.  The white face watch is a "Swiss Military" by Chrono.

Swiss-Military-Herrenuhr-17700ST-2L-Chro

Cheers!

Thank you....nothing too expensive there, I just like some nice dressy watches.  The white face watch is a "Swiss Military" by Chrono.

Swiss-Military-Herrenuhr-17700ST-2L-Chro

Cheers!

Very nice...... A watch doesnt need to be expensive to be nice. As long as you appreciate it who cares what its worth. I have a few quartz watches that I love and still put on depending on how I feel on the day :)