Any Porsche watch guys/gals

@Arthur:  Thx for the link.  I have never come across that store before.  Time to explore :)

@Amanda:  Great list to get me started.  To put things into perspective my daily is a Speedy Pro.

@Bruce:  The first one is very cyberish ;)

No problem Doug, he is really really good, slow.....but good he is Seiko trained and just a pleasure to deal with.
Happy to be the middle man or put you onto him direct. I have no affiliation with this guy, apart from being a very happy customer.

Oh and CarreraG50, thanks for that website, just what I didn't need. Damn i do like them watches.

Sorry Niko,

This is my favourite, Wenger 'Rallye Des Alpes' Chronograph Watch . The strap is tyre tread. :huh:

post-180-0-59777700-1370218484_thumb.jpg 

Nice, Carrera, my sort of watch.......WENGER have heaps of outlets, and some nice stuff.....so I might do a little investigating.  

I couldn't find your "Rallye Des Alpes"  on their site anymore so may be a discontinued line. 

This is a great thread Doug, thanks for starting it.  

I think a lot of "car people" are "watch people" for some reason.

Wow. That's some really nice watches.

I have to admit I'm not really into Porsche Design. A lot of people associate Porsche Design with Porsche cars and for me personally it would feel like a step too far to wear PD watch.

Looks like you are our resident watch expert Amanda.

So far it looks like a 70s Heuer Monaco a la Steve McQueen.

Murky waters here, but........I am not into the later "Porsche Drivers Collection" PD Watches.

The IWC PD Watches were not to my taste either.

I fell in love with the original FA Porsche design Chrono in Black and was lucky enough to buy a NOS titanium version when I was in germany for a reasonable price.

So much the same as the cars I am of the opinion that anything before 1997 is alright by me.

The original Heuer Watches also are of great interest to me, I find the later TAG Heuer offerrings to be gaudy. With the exception of the more recent Carrera, Autavia and Monaco re-runs.

I really am Porsche Through and Through though as I have alot of Adidas Porsche Design Shoes and Clothing items. I do have some PD Pens as well which are magnificent. Next will be a Pipe, me want a Pipe (with air cooled fins on the chamber a-la mezger engines)

The Next watch I buy will be a Rolex Cosmograph though........secondhand and old school-cool.

There is a large distinction betwixt Porsche AG the car maker and Porsche Design as PD is a separate company that was set up by Butzi and carried out alot of Industrial Design work. His passion for Watches, Writing instruments and Smoking was reflected in the range of items that became available in the 70's and then the 80's.

During the Late 90's to the present time they began to collaborate with the Porsche Drivers selection/merchandise range which has resulted in some lovely clothing and some HORRID watches.

PD's collaboration with Adidas has resulted in the most wonderful shoes I have ever owned......

This is my Omega Speedmaster (and my very hairy arm!) I was never really in to watches but I wanted something really special to remember my grandfather by. This is an upgrade of the original moon landing watch. The difference is a slightly bigger face and self winding.

1ed4f962-9a11-43d6-a46e-ffc7954ef367_zps

I am comfortable, if anyone tries to get into my place they are in for a rude and painful shock. Literally.

If you had met Steve, you'd know not to challenge this comment!!

On a side note. 

I dropped into Crime Converters today after reading this thread, so I have you guys to thank for that (and as I do with Crimeys. I have scored many bargains with tools there for my job) I spotto'd a Blue faced Tag Heuer 300 SLR in the cabinet.

Obviously a fake as the bloke said it was, and for $50 I didnt care, as I had to have it coz it fitted me perfectly, looked cool and I could pretend I owned a Tag FINALLY!

Now in my experience (minimal) with fakes, most of the operational dials and hands etc do not operate, and theres no embossing of serial numbers etc etc, but this one is fully operational, has screws for the band links, not link pins, and the second hand lands perfectly on the fluorescent indicators ( 1, 2 , 3, 4 etc) that do glow in the dark. The embossing on the back with the Merc 300 and 'Heuer' logo is perfect too

I know fakes can be very well made, but to me, this does not seem fake!

I'm probably wrong, and I don't really care if it is a rip off, but something is telling me it is a real one.

Time (ha!) to get it looked at I reckon

You could be lucky, I picked up a RADO in the market in Saigon about 7 years ago, paid 100USD    went perfectly for about a year, then stopped.  

Hmm uho.... decided to be an embarrassment to myself, took it into local rado dealer in Frankston and surprise surprise.  

Real watch  and it had been supposedly destroyed by company according to the serial no because of a fault.   Anyway they fitted the battery and whatever the fault was supposed to be , told me I shouldn't buy watches in places like Saigon market places again, and yahoo, I have a cheap RADO. 

Soooo good luck with yours, you just never know.

Personally, I think it's an absolute disgrace that crime converters sell fake goods! The store in the CBD had a bunch of fake Rolexs a few years back, I took a photo of them and went into the Rolex Service Centre in Melbourne and told them. They threatened them with legal action :) I don't have issue with buying them in markets or off the streets, just don't believe a store like CC should profit from copyright infringement.

I have a cracking good quartz Hublot replica, that's years old and still runs a treat.

As for Tazziemans comment - I have no concern with showing what I to own. I have a offsite safe that I use.

Porsches are German - so how about some German brands? These are all affordable ie under $1500 odd

Archimede - well known for their Pilot watches.

My fave the Pilot Chrono - $1200 ish new

IMG_3152JPG_800.jpg

Automatic Pilot - they come in various sizes and movements from approx $400

Archimede3.jpg

STOWA - a little pricier than above but lovely watches

DSCN7406.jpg

Pilot watch by STOWA

Stowa.jpg

Steinhart - also make versions of the Pilot watch but also do a great Submariner look diver. They have different color versions too. The one pictured is made to look like it has aged Tritium markers

STEINHART.jpg

These brands also make some models in very limited numbers like this 47mm Pilot Watch

Steinhart_3.jpg

Maybe!

Once i bought a replica Mick Doohan helmet from Cashy's for $40, as I used to collect them top GP riders lids..

it turned out to be not a replica, it was actually his lid!

Sold it to some bloke in England for $1800  :D

Lets hope the Tag is a real one! I do strongly doubt it though. I couldnt be THAT lucky

Picking up my new Tommy Hilfiger tomorrow evening. I just like them

Jeez Amanda, that Stowa with the gold hands is nice!

STOP COSTING ME MONEY! I have a 912 to build thanks!

Personally, I think it's an absolute disgrace that crime converters sell fake goods! The store in the CBD had a bunch of fake Rolexs a few years back, I took a photo of them and went into the Rolex Service Centre in Melbourne and told them. They threatened them with legal action :) I don't have issue with buying them in markets or off the streets, just don't believe a store like CC should profit from copyright infringement.

Yep, I agree with that Amanda. Selling knock off's is a crime in the eye's of the law, though if this DOES turn out to be a real one, I'm not going to argue or take it back.

At markets etc, you expect knock off's, not at a reputable (sometimes questionable) business

I

This is my Omega Speedmaster (and my very hairy arm!) I was never really in to watches but I wanted something really special to remember my grandfather by. This is an upgrade of the original moon landing watch. The difference is a slightly bigger face and self winding.

1ed4f962-9a11-43d6-a46e-ffc7954ef367_zps

So we can call you Saswatch from now on Simon? As opposed to Sasquatch. which would be too demeaning  ;)

(just jokes mate)

Nice watch by the way 

So we can call you Saswatch from now on Simon? As opposed to Sasquatch. which would be too demeaning  ;)

(just jokes mate)

Nice watch by the way 

I was going to mention Simons hairy arm...... but with whats been going on lately I am too scared to mention his hairy arm.

There is a large distinction betwixt Porsche AG the car maker and Porsche Design as PD is a separate company that was set up by Butzi and carried out alot of Industrial Design work. His passion for Watches, Writing instruments and Smoking was reflected in the range of items that became available in the 70's and then the 80's.

It is very confusing.

Even the PD fonts are similar to the car brand. 

Given that PD seem so keen to differentiate themselves it makes you wonder why they used the name in the first place.   :unsure: