Was talked out of buying a boxster by Porsche Mechanic

_Tony

Damn....That is a tough story, two IMS's for the one owner and one car.   Sounds like it didn't want to get traded in.

Well you shouldn't have any problems for a long time with that 981.

Oldblade - terrifying story for us Boxster owners! Here's hoping the 981 gives you year after year after year of troublefree motoring.

Makes me think I should be doing my  IMS Bearing sooner, rather than spending money on Porsche driving courses!  

Oldblade - did the replacement engine have original IMS bearing in it still?

I'm going to book mine in and get it done.  If mine went, I have NO idea how I would pay to have it fixed. I don't have that kind money laying about.. its not a gamble I should be taking really given this. 

Mine is a November 2004 built 987 2.7L  - so one of the very early 987s.  From my research I think it's unlikely that I have the sealed bearing given it was built so early on.  Anyone know more about this than I seem too?

I just found this too -  check out this bearing, it was on verge of letting go. Play in the shaft and metal fragments all around it.  Wouldnt that metal already be in the engine tho????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSrGsonSR0&feature=player_embedded

oldblade, that really is pretty bad luck to have it happen twice.. sorry to hear. You wont have to worry about this issue now though with that beautiful 981 you have

Amanda, good idea to get it done. You will soon forget what you paid for the IMS but be happy knowing you wont have to worry about this problem

Amanda if you don't do it , you will not sleep well and if you have to part with the car (i.e. when the perfect sporto rears it's head at you to go and join the classic car driver's club  :) ) no-one can knock you down on the selling price. As with the chain tensioner upgrade on the aircooleds,  it's a no brainer for mine.

If it's a "S" that you want....look at this.  Ridiculous price, $26,999....high on the KMS though.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-boxster-2003-15239910?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert

No pictures yet.

Dammit that is cheap as for an 03 S..! kms are on the higher side of whats on the market at the moment but go on condition first.  I always find it of slight concern when someone advertises a car on carsales but doesn't have the photos ready though.  First impressions count they say.

I had the IMS replaced on day one of ownership in my 04 S along with a new engine mount.  Clutch was fine so I left it as is.  I can't see the point in buying an M96 engined car and risking the IMS go.  The cost of a rebuild or new motor is the best part of 15K which can be well over half the purchase price of the earlier 986 non S models.  I would also assume that if anyone did lose their IMS then they would definitely upgrade the bearing on the new rebuilt motor anyway..  If 15K for a new motor meant nothing to me then I wouldn't be buying an M96 car in the first place!

Speaking of 04 Boxster S's with the LN Engineering IMS upgrade already completed.... Mine will be for sale in the coming weeks.  Planning to move overseas later in the year so its got to go unfortunately.  However as i am heading to Germany all is not lost, just put on hold for the time being.  I will advertise here first before going to Carsales (with pictures of course).

If it's a "S" that you want....look at this.  Ridiculous price, $26,999....high on the KMS though.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/porsche-boxster-2003-15239910?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert

No pictures yet.

So the modern Porsche is considered high km at just 160, 000km? The old air and water cooled cars go 350-400,000 (and sometimes well beyond) , maybe the thicker (though less fuel efficient) oils protect them? If 160,000km is high , there are going to be some dirt cheap 996s and 986s around soon. Esp if the IMS issue has not been addressed and Joe Public goes googling!

So the modern Porsche is considered high km at just 160, 000km? The old air and water cooled cars go 350-400,000 (and sometimes well beyond) , maybe the thicker (though less fuel efficient) oils protect them? If 160,000km is high , there are going to be some dirt cheap 996s and 986s around soon. Esp if the IMS issue has not been addressed and Joe Public goes googling!

Those kms are high for what is on the 986 market at the moment, which is reflective in the price.  Whether or not they these cars will be around and going strong at 350 - 400k kms is yet to be told.  I guess we will have to wait until they are the same age as the air cooled cars are now :)

I had the IMS replaced on day one of ownership in my 04 S along with a new engine mount.  Clutch was fine so I left it as is.  I can't see the point in buying an M96 engined car and risking the IMS go.

Agreed, if I end up getting one of these models and it hasn't been done already, I wouldn't even drive it away from whoever I bought it off. I'd get it picked up on a tilt tray straight to a mechanic to get it done ASAP!

Unfortunatly for me when the new/secohdhand engine went in there was no ims kits yet in au so it never got done in the second engine

Seems im always the first in life I always hear "we have hever seen that problem"

Just got the same thing with my 981 tyres

I think, if the 986 is such a headache and costly to repair, it would be in his intertest to have you as a customer?

I have had a brand new brand new BMW, it cost me an arm and a leg!

In fact all cars I have owned owe me a house or two in suburbia!

A mechanic once said to me:

Drive a ferrari = ferrari costs!

Ride a push-bike = bicycle costs!

I know people who spend thousands on golfclubs, or "BOATS"!!!!!!(a bottomless pit)

Life is short, if my 986 S may S#%t itself, yes it would hurt me, but in the mean time I can't wipe the smile of my face!

The 911 I owned in the 80's needed a complete engine rebuild within months of ownership.

Did that put me off porsche?????

"NO"

I did my research before buying my 01S and budgeted the IMS upgrade as a purchase cost. Thankfully some oil on the RMS allowed me to scare the dealer to lower the price accordingly.

The next day after purchasing, the car was booked in for the IMS upgrade. 3 other mates drive Boxsters and none of them have done the IMS upgrade and nothing has happened on their cars. I just wanted the comfort factor of having mine done.

Archived