My Shopping Thread

Coastr

It seems as though window shopping is a favourite pastime of many Porschaholics

So I decided to start a thread where I can post cars that catch my eye.

A while ago I decided 2013 was going to be the year I pulled the trigger after umming and ahhing for at least a decade on and off.

I've narrowed my want list down to an 84-89 Carrera 3.2

Ideally in Guards Red with a tail and original Fuchs, but working back from there only the most undesirable colors would be struct from the list.  The tail is not that important and the right wheels can be sourced if it comes to that.  A nice SC is a possibility provided it was a good car and good value.

I don't want a track car and originality and cleanliness trumps modifications.

Right now I am more interested in the US market than the Australian market as to me it provides much better value.  All things considered I would prefer a RHD but LHD doesn't worry me one bit.  I'm OK with imports but wary of rusty ones.  As I am in QLD any LHD has to have a build date of xx/83 if I am to register it this year.  I travel to the US frequently for work so I'm not scared of buying and shipping and my daily drive is a UK import that I shipped myself.

This is the type of US car that catches my eye (sadly he who hesitates is lost):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/911-Carrera-/300904753488?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

Also, this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Porsche-911-Carrera-Coupe-/151063064530?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

I like the look of this Aust car :http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/porsche-911-carrera-1989-15044213?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert

but I find it very hard to justify spending 2x the money for essentially the same car.

There still remains the prospect I will shelve the idea.  2013 has brought with it the news that the family unit will expand by 1 bringing the total count to 5, which as we know exceeds the seating capacity of all Porsches except for a Cayenne.   I'm also short a garage space and would have to shuffle three cars around - I have access to an extra space but a fair way away.  None of this is insurmountable but it all goes into the mix.

Update : the 2nd black one sold for $22,250. I was very close to pulling the trigger on that one. I want to hold out for a bit less mileage, and something with a west coast history would be nice.

Can you register a LHD vehicle that is < 30 Yrs old up your way?

Obviously you have researched this! I am just interested to know the differences between states.

If I were to have a LHD pre 1979 here in SA they wouldn't let me register it without a RHD conversion and appropriate Engineers certification, import papers, Import Approval and full Nazi inspection.

I like the first and last one!!

Yes - 30 years old is the cut-off, and I have seen other normal-registration LHD cars (club rego here is too restrictive).

The black one in Memphis I was up fretting over until 1am last night was a build date 9/83 - the trick is knowing that an '84' has a 50% chance of being an 83 build, which means I can register it sometime this year.  So I can get my Carrera 3.2 from the US, but it has to be from the first batch delivered.  It's not an easy job.

I was going to put in a bid for 22,500 and go to sleep, but in the end i convinced myself it would go higher and that the mileage was higher than I was looking for.  Plus the ebay seller recently had a black mark but the photos of the car did look pretty good.  And then there is the pit of gnawing stress buying a car sight unseen with no PPI.  I am prepared to do that though - in all my car purchases I've only ever bought one lemon and that was when I ignored my instincts due to impatience.

I also don't feel organised enough - I would like to pick out a shipper etc before I buy.  I'm back in the states in 12 days time and want to find a Carrera to test drive.  But all there seems to be is Targas as far as the eye can see.  Either the Porsche dealers were moving them by the boatload or nobody sells their coupes.

And then there is the plummeting AUD....

Back to the boards for my nightly homework.

Have you had a look at www.usttoaus.com as they have lots of info re shipping etc? And cars for sale.

Yes I have looked on there.  It's an 'all-in' service so costs are pretty high, but maybe that's not a bad thing, especially around the escrow services etc.

I did find this...http://www.usatoaus.com/Information.aspx?id=69107

Lots of work done, seems OK. Not a 3.2 though.

have you considered widening your preferences? just my 2c (which by all means feel free to ignore)

I was looking for a manual coupe SC in decent nick for at maximum $30k, but preferably $25k or so. I did look on and off for 10 years (and nearly bought a '72 2.4S Targa very early on in the search for $18k)

In the end I saw my car on eBay very cheap, rang and got finance that day, bid and won and made a snap decision and drove to Geelong and drove it back (sight unseen, no PPI, just some scans from the car history including timing chains/engine rebuild and head stud inserts)

so in the end I have something totally different to what I wanted, but I couldn't be happier and love my car (even if it is something all the books suggest you don't buy - a sporto Targa 2,7 in a 'non resale' colour)

just a thought - I ended up with a feeling I was going to be looking forever.. and now I'm in something I like, while looking to add a coupe to the collection (but I've got all the time in the world to look)

. I did look on and off for 10 years (and nearly bought a '72 2.4S Targa very early on in the search for $18k)

Russ, I think we looked at the same targa it was advertised for 22K, I often regret not buying it (blue one)

Russ, I think we looked at the same targa it was advertised for 22K, I often regret not buying it (blue one)

lol, I know the one you're talking of (I think I even drove it) but it wasn't that one.. This one (red) was owned by a VW guy in Taree NSW in about 1999

have you considered widening your preferences? just my 2c (which by all means feel free to ignore)

I was looking for a manual coupe SC in decent nick for at maximum $30k, but preferably $25k or so. I did look on and off for 10 years (and nearly bought a '72 2.4S Targa very early on in the search for $18k)

In the end I saw my car on eBay very cheap, rang and got finance that day, bid and won and made a snap decision and drove to Geelong and drove it back (sight unseen, no PPI, just some scans from the car history including timing chains/engine rebuild and head stud inserts)

so in the end I have something totally different to what I wanted, but I couldn't be happier and love my car (even if it is something all the books suggest you don't buy - a sporto Targa 2,7 in a 'non resale' colour)

just a thought - I ended up with a feeling I was going to be looking forever.. and now I'm in something I like, while looking to add a coupe to the collection (but I've got all the time in the world to look)

I started out that way - anything with a flat six up one end and a Porsche badge on the other was where I started.  But after poking my nose around a few, reading here and there and thinking about things a lot, I'm at the point where I'm quite specific on color and model (and price) or I will just shelve the idea.  Reason for that is that purchase is marginal on available spare time & space and I only want to do it once for the next 10 years at least.  I'm not much of a trader and tend to keep my cars for a long time compared to most so I would prefer to hold out for something I really want.  I know which ones sell and give me the pang of regret and I've used that to guide my decision making.   Most of the time I see one sell and say 'meh'.  But others give me that distinct feeling of 'the one that got away'.  Mostly these have been black 3.2s but in my mind I see a red one with a tail.

On that other thread - the white 3.2 with the broken head stud-  I find that overpriced because it needs work.  Whenever I come across a car that needs work and is for sale, I immediately assume the owner is lazy or broke or being economical with the truth.  Issues are like fish - find a couple and there's usually some bigger ones lurking nearby.  If it costs a couple of k to fix and then sell, then do so.  Otherwise cop the market price of a fixer-upper, which is what it is.

The white one would be worth a look, however you would not just replace head studs!

It would be a full top end rebuild, done properly, with new parts, costs $15k.

I want to buy a car from the states one day but I reckon I'd fly over to have a look at some, rather than buy off the net alone.

Good excuse for a Holiday!

If you can wait, hold out for an 84 C 3.2.

I quite like the idea of a Targa, but an early impact bumper narrow body one.

The white one would be worth a look, however you would not just replace head studs!

It would be a full top end rebuild, done properly, with new parts, costs $15k.

I want to buy a car from the states one day but I reckon I'd fly over to have a look at some, rather than buy off the net alone.

Good excuse for a Holiday!

If you can wait, hold out for an 84 C 3.2.

I quite like the idea of a Targa, but an early impact bumper narrow body one.

Sadly finding time to look at cars while I'm there is difficult.   Plus they are always miles and miles away from where you are.  LA is definitely the hot-spot for finding used Porsches but you could spend all day in the car to look at 2 of them.  

I like chrome-rollbar Targas as well.  Would have one of those, just the sort of thing to resto.

Both very nice but yes the 84 looks very nice. Any more details or you keeping to yourself for now. ;)

My mistake....but price is being bid up quickly and I think it might outrun my budget factoring in import costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350823611224&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_14397wt_948

I actually dont mind the wheels - I doubt they are Simmons, because that is an oz brand. You can always replace wheels easily, so that never factors too much into my calculations, particularly if you have a nice set to trade.

I really like this car but I think it is out of my budget....maybe. (must not smash piggy bank)

I actually dont mind the wheels - I doubt they are Simmons, because that is an oz brand. 

A lot of Simmons wheels made there way to Canada and US.  Come up every now and then on Pelican

Archived