993 Turbo prices pushing the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about this one but that $80k Carrera 3.2 that was advertised a few months ago has disappeared from Carsales. I sure as hell hope someone didn't pay $80k for it but this dealer might be fishing for a similar result.

Hmmmm.

Something's odd here.

As JimTT pointed out, its not exactly a museum quality piece with those mods.

It is however extremely low in mileage so that would carry a premium.

I cant quite believe that the dealer would offer this car without having taken steps to unwind the filter and suspension mods.

They aren't serious mods, but they do denote a hot-rodders approach, particularly the suspension adjustments, which would have ruined any chance of it handling right.

If the mileage is right, why does the drivers seat look more worn than my 112,000 example?

Hmmm......

I think in 10 years time it will have 19,000 on the clock and be worth 400,000.

And there will be no fuel left in the world!

Or someone from the lucky sperm club will buy it and give it a proper spanking!

I'd buy it , but I'm not really into grey as a colour.

Will never get this price.

If, for example it was all original and at this milegae it is still too high.

Why?

Because you can get a 996/997 for this money(or less!), which are better, faster and quicker.

I would range this particular car at a Low of $110k and a high of $140k. Subject to a full and thorough inspection.

I used to lust after a 993 Turbo, in arena red. Now I would prefer a Carrera, manual in any other colour.

Special 993's are C2 and C4 in manual. Rare and pure luftkuhlt genesis.

Then you have the RS and RS/CS. Which are very special indeed. Rare and orgasmic.

And then you have GT2's. Which are in a world of their own. Rare and silly.

The 'Turbo 4' is complicated, very fast and will drain your wallet. Still a lovely car but not as desireable as the asking price suggests.

No offence to Turbo 4 owners intended, I'd love one. After a GT3.

They do look like evil personified (in Black) though.

Interesting topic guys.

It does seem to be a crazy price.

However, a few things to take into account.

Now I love the 993 carrera, but the 993 Turbo is on another planet.

I remember my dad bought a new 993C4 man from PCM after the 930.

He only kept the car for a few months before trading it in for a new Turbo, so we both drove the two cars for some time.

For performance I would pay $50k over a C2 or C4 any day and like I said ,I love the Carrera.

So when I see $120k man 993Cs for sale that would make it $170k for the Turbo.

Now you can buy a 996 GT3 for $100k, but people keep buying 993s for more money.

So people pay for things they want, not always the better car.

Me, I buy on performance so I would buy a 997TT or GT3 for that money.

What ever floats ya boat. :)

Don't know about this one but that $80k Carrera 3.2 that was advertised a few months ago has disappeared from Carsales. I sure as hell hope someone didn't pay $80k for it but this dealer might be fishing for a similar result.

Simon,

I followed that one from the day it was advertised and I suspect the market for near perfect, unusually low km Australian delivered cars is such that if the seller didn't get the $79,000 asked for, it would have been very close. 

I think it may be the case of if you are going to get one and keep it for a long time , you may as well get the best one you can! 

I watch the 993 market very very closely. Can pretty much tell you what day a car first appeared and what day they changed the price. A low km pristine example would have a value around 130 ish k whereas there are examples that have just over 100k on the speedo advertised for under 130k that have been advertised for nearly 2 years. As the guy in "The Castle" said tell em their dreamin at nearly 200k....

C

Well, if they do get it, its a sad indictment of how the latest models are regarded in comparison.

There is no doubt t hat what we are really seeing here is a division between air and water cooled.

Pure emotion vs logical choice.

Hmmmm.

Something's odd here.

As JimTT pointed out, its not exactly a museum quality piece with those mods.

It is however extremely low in mileage so that would carry a premium.

I cant quite believe that the dealer would offer this car without having taken steps to unwind the filter and suspension mods.

They aren't serious mods, but they do denote a hot-rodders approach, particularly the suspension adjustments, which would have ruined any chance of it handling right.

If the mileage is right, why does the drivers seat look more worn than my 112,000 example?

Hmmm......

Simon, I am fairly new to the ownership of this wonderful marque and certainly have not owned the cars you have owned, nor do I profess to have the knowledge of the marque that you may posses. I simply own a C4, non-Varioram at that, but it does have Bilstein PSS10s and knowing the little that I do about suspension setup, I would argue that a 993 TT with correctly set up Bilsteins and correct Camber and corner balance would run rings around the standard Porsche set up. I would be so bold as to say that it would be "handling" alot more "right" than stock.

On the other hand it is not "genuine" and at $195K I would imagine it should be straight out of the showroom.

So in a few years when it becomes possible to import these , I will be at least $100,000 in the back pocket better off than if I plonked the cash on Her Greyness now. Suits me  :)

That will buy some nice weeks in Europe!

A nice dream....which politician is going to stick their hand up to help car enthusiasts?

It will take much more than the death of Ford to open up our market properly.

Theo

Nothing wrong with a Carrera 4, and I take your point. What I was getting at was that the set up on the seal grey car is too low, especially at the back, and it wont handle right with that stance. My 993TT has bilstein's too, and I meticulously set up my cars alignments, having learnt that it makes a huge difference to a 911. Happily when I checked it today at home using my alignment gadget it was still exactly where it should be, even after eight years. It handles very well indeed. That seal grey car wont until it is set up properly.

Like Chris I watch the market very closely. That price is high, way high. The black 993TT in Qld looks better value with a bit of negotiating.  

Too much sitting kills these cars, and they all need steering racks, air conditioning condensors, and shocks sooner or later. I still think theres a hmmmmm in there somewhere with that car.

Fair call Simon. What you are saying is not that you have a problem with the Bilsteins, but rather that the current setup has left it dumped on the proverbials, and as such the handling would be an issue.

I get where you are coming from. I know all about steering racks, evaporators, engine mounts and control arm bushings!!!!!!!!!

So in summary (and helping the dealer with some potentially gnarly questions) , we are really saying is that if this was bought to actually drive and get a few angry TT Km on the clock on a warm day, it would need a fair bit of loose change spent on the setup & recommission ? 

But if you kept it as a museum piece for the next collector , you wouldn't need to touch anything , the suspension would be fine and as long as the humidcrib works you're good to go for the next 20-30 years...!

Price and value do not match IMO, despite the rarity.

btw just a question for you guys hawkeyeing the 993 market , are you looking to sell in the near future (maybe to upgrade or perhaps free up some cash), or is this like watching one's share portfolio?

Tazzieman

Look at my buying history. It's pretty clear I can't help myself! It's just an interest for me and I've learnt that the right Porsche is a rather good investment (eh Kerry!) I can't trust a financial planner et al with my hard earned so I have always squirrelled money into cars which are liquidish. Not sure I'm in front but I'm nowhere ear as far behind as some others I know, and I've had the time of my life doing it.

And no the red turbo isn't going to hit the market anytime soon. The competition 911 will though and perhaps the Rainsford Perana. We'll see.