993 Turbo prices pushing the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

550Spyder

This is quite the perfect question for a recidivist like me!

The short answer is that in essence I've usually got one of each, and it's been that way for a long time.

I realise I've been lucky to be able to do this, but at no point have I had more money tangled up than if I had bought a new 911, and I certainly haven't suffered the depreciation that route would have delivered.

Although I live in WA I know the GOR well. Either car would be enjoyable for the fang, but the 993 would be much more palatable for the winery tours with the dearly beloved, if only because the air conditioning will work more effectively.

However I wouldn't choose a 993 4S at the prices they currently fetch. Buy a Turbo.

You could buy a 993 2 or 4 for much less money, then spend some time and money setting up the suspension properly. The narrow bodied cars don't pitch side to side as much as the wider cars, are a bit more nimble, and without the turbos the additional weight of the 4S makes little sense at the price. They do look lovely though!

I think if you narrowed (sic) the choice down to cars of similar value it would become obvious what to do. A 4S is turbo money. A wide bodied earlier car is not.

The M491 in WA looks good and I'm off to answer a question on that thread.

Regards

From a distance it looks good. I've got the same white dials and carbon shifter etc and they give the interior a real lift. They were an expensive option. That car has the soft look seats which I don't think are as nice as the shell backed sport seats to look at but they are good to use.

At 53,000kms and at the age it either will have had the air condenser, power steering rack and shocks done or it will be needing those by 80,000kms. You can't really dodge those three bullets. The clutches either last or don't, depending on the driver.

The arctic silver usually fetches a higher price than the slate grey.

Your wife would love the comfort if she's like mine. Can you decide if you could bear to lose the early car ( or win lotto!)?

Best of luck

Simon, do you use your 993TT as a daily driver?  I guess that's my other option . . . sell the BMW 1M and drive the 993.  Not sure that clutch would be much fun in Sydney traffic, 1M isn't great in traffic but at least it has a modern gearbox and hill assist.

My problem is that I've got a fair amount of $ tied up in cars now (71S values have move up a lot) and I can only keep two cars in my garage . . . a third car would mean renting storage somewhere.

No I don't but only because I live on a farm and I've got other cars to use. We've got a 135i convertible, an M6, and a Ford Ranger ute. The ute gets used most. Or the VW Crafter truck which is a ripper.

I'd rather drive the 983TT than anything else even though they are very good cars, but wouldn't drive it daily because that's my circumstance and I like to savour it.

The 135 hasn't depreciated a dollar, probably like your 1M, the M6 on the other hand is an inverse hedge fund. The 993 just gets stronger or at least holds its own in value terms.

I think you'd be safe either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Another great value 993!!! But this time with some history.

Lots of boxes ticked for me.

Arena Red.......Looks fantastic when it is in good condition.

Black interior with hardback seats.

500+HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's about 100 up on stock, and all through a short ratio box.

Apart from the tinted windows, this baby is a pearler! 

Now all I need is a lazy 40-50K on top of the 993.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1996/AGC-AD-15203058/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Geez, I must be getting old. Starting to see some cars cycle through several owners and actually remember them being advertised each time. The Arena red one certainly has a nice history having been owned by RL. These latest two are quite reasonable at the price. Makes the C4S' s that are around look a bit expensive....

C

Tidy low km 993 porsche turbo for $120k.

Assorted 993 C4s with double the km for $100k - $115k.

Am I the only one struggling to keep a straight face? Have there actually been any c4s moving at this price?

That blue turbo will be gone in a week, the c4s at that price will be there still for sale in a year IMVHO.

Simon, do you use your 993TT as a daily driver?  I guess that's my other option . . . sell the BMW 1M and drive the 993.  Not sure that clutch would be much fun in Sydney traffic, 1M isn't great in traffic but at least it has a modern gearbox and hill assist.

If you used a 993 as a daily driver, the additional mileage would hurt resale value, unless you could buy a high mileage car in the first place.

Geez, I must be getting old. Starting to see some cars cycle through several owners and actually remember them being advertised each time. The Arena red one certainly has a nice history having been owned by RL. These latest two are quite reasonable at the price. Makes the C4S' s that are around look a bit expensive....

C

you would think if you can get into a decent 993 TT for 120k ish, that 110k for a 993 S is a little bit optimistic from those sellers..

then again, not everyone wants a turbo and the most valuable Porsche's are not necessarily turbo charged

you would think if you can get into a decent 993 TT for 120k ish, that 110k for a 993 S is a little bit optimistic from those sellers..

then again, not everyone wants a turbo and the most valuable Porsche's are not necessarily turbo charged

If i had that budget, 993TT performance would be hard to look past for only a little bit more

Carrera 2S = looks

Carrera 4S = looks plus turbo running gear

Turbo = looks plus performance

Drove my TT this morning and enjoyed it greatly. These recent sales just vindicate the thoughts most dealers and enthusiasts have that all wide bodied 993's attract a premium. And the gap between narrow bodied 993's and wide bodied 993's seems to be opening up.

When a new TT is $500k and a three year old TT is half new price, a 993TT looks good for half that again give or take a bit for condition and mileage.

The difference is that the newer TT's aren't going down any more unlike the newer models which have a way to go yet.

If depreciation is a dirty word then buy the 993TT based on current sales. Can it continue though? In the USA it's doing the same thing.

I'm not sure it can continue but it's fun while if does and the TT certainly drives well and looks good. Especially in guards red!

• 4 weeks later...

I agree Josh. Gees you reckon you would give it a vacuum before taking the pics. especially if you want top dollar...... Just small things but from a marketing point of view you would want it presented in the best possible way I would have thought.