993 Turbo prices pushing the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really interesting thread this one. I agree Simon, I think it's well below RS height just looking at it. I have mine set at 10mm above RS using the same setup as Theo. Bistein PSS10's and RS engine mounts. Made an almost unbelievable difference to the feel and way the car goes around corners and the information the car gives back to me. It talks to me now whereas before it was a little sanitized compared to driving my 930....

As far as the market goes. I feel the cars that have been advertised at the 140k plus mark are being withdrawn and then re advertised at later dates. Have seen this happen quite a bit over the last couple of years. They disappear then bob up again in a month or so....

It's quite good fun watching what people do. I can never understand though the guys that drop the price then after a few weeks increase the price substantially. Don't get it and from my point of view I would not even contact them if i thought the price was right as it makes me wonder what they up to. Example the black one with bright red interior. It's been for sale for nearly 12 months and has got as low as 109k then jumped up to 122 or 124k. Don't get it....

i cant see why the setup is too low.. the best handling racecars sit on the ground.. 

For normal road use it is im-practical to have such a low car due to the imperfect road surfaces, spoon drains, speed humps, pot holes etc.

Racetracks are smooth (generally) so a lower set up can be applied.

I was at the Porsche centre in Adelaide back in 1998 and they had a Black Turbo 4 in there that someone had gotten airborne and subsequently bottomed out the whole car. Its underside looked horrible.............and the test driver didn't even buy it.

Its a funny Old time at the moment regarding car values. A Bit like House values, alot are getting an adjustment south.

BNxQcDrCEAAQ216_zps2f568e44.jpg

As far as the market goes. I feel the cars that have been advertised at the 140k plus mark are being withdrawn and then re advertised at later dates. Have seen this happen quite a bit over the last couple of years. They disappear then bob up again in a month or so....

It's quite good fun watching what people do. I can never understand though the guys that drop the price then after a few weeks increase the price substantially. Don't get it and from my point of view I would not even contact them if i thought the price was right as it makes me wonder what they up to. Example the black one with bright red interior. It's been for sale for nearly 12 months and has got as low as 109k then jumped up to 122 or 124k. Don't get it....

I have noticed this too. Not only that black TT, but others as well. There's a white 993 that went from $76k down to $73, back up to $76 and again down to $73.

I think there is a presumption from buyers that the seller is willing to negotiate a lower price from the asking. I think in these instances they may possibly drop prices at a point where they aren't willing to go down much further but are getting offers much lower, hence bringing the price back up so that they can negotiate down to where they would like to sell it at. At a guess.

But at the end of the day. A car, like anything else is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So if the offers are lower that suggests that the price being asked is too high.

Just my opinion anyway...

C

That's pretty standard practise and you will see "advice' or "tips for selling" at the point of advertising. The theory is you attract potential buyers from different backgrounds e.g. some set their budget in the drop down menu to $100k , others "any $" and others "5k or less"

So you may miss certain demographics with the first bait , but get others e.g. in the upper or lower echelons. Different lookers at different times of the year. Winter is obviously a good time to buy , but maybe not so many on the market, like houses.

There's a 928 yo-yoing between 8 and 9K in Hobart over the past year. It's just dipped to 7,999 from 9000 a week ago...

Then , cars go off the market. Perhaps they break down , or are upgraded , or run out of reg or fail a RWC. Or a bill needs to be paid urgently. All these things influence the selling process.

If you read the description, the car dealer can still remember when he originally sold the 993 as a Porsche salesman. Seems to me that this is a car he has wanted to get his hands on for a while, acquired it at the right price, doesn't really want to sell it but has advertised it with a "that would be nice" price tag on it (not really caring if it sells or not). Only reason I say this is because I am a dealer and have found myself doing this more than once!

I think you're on the money, Jason. Nothing wrong with asking. 

Still think that car will handle like rubbish the way it is, unless its on the drag strip.

19,000kms equates to a lot of quarter mile runs.....

I'm reminded of a very rare specced 996 Turbo here in Perth that had probably the only factory polished aluminium roll cage in Australia fitted to it, together with all sorts of power modifications. Cost a fortune, did little mileage, most of which was at Woopass Wednesday drag nights. 

Back to the dealership, traded for not much on something else expensive, dealer peeled out all the good bits, and sold it as a low mileage  one owner dream.

If you see a seal grey with tan interior early 996 turbo with some holes in the floor where the cage used to go look out. Mind you it would probably do 200,000 kms without a care in the world. They are tough.

i cant see why the setup is too low.. the best handling racecars sit on the ground..

Interesting point JJ.

The 993s changed a little with regard to the front suspension geometry. The design of the 993 front suspension in it's standard iteration meant that if the car was lowered below RS +10mm height it suffers from crazy amounts of bumpsteer. In previous models you could shim the steering rack up to correct this, but in the 993 those crazy German dudes decided that if you wanted to substantially drop the front end you would need to change the front wheel carriers to allow for correct steering alignment and correct bumpsteer. Add about $2.5k DIY with an alignment!!!!!!

Ask me how I know??????????????????????????

Wow... where else can you buy a rare classic in new condition?

If you want it, get it.

I doubt you would ever see another one for sale with the low mileage. Chance of a lifetime.

I just dont have a spare 200k.....

Anyone wanna go halves with me?

Ok so here's a recent sale/purchase to throw the valuations out a little.  A buddy of mine just bought a blue 993TT 1996 model with under 100k's for well under $100k and got a decent PPI

I drove it yesterday and its very strong indeed, is already fitted with full adjustable Bilsteins too

Im very jelly

so what did he pay for the car? the 993 he bought had around 60k's? it was for sale at Porsche Brighton for 120k or 130k.

it was a super nice car, amazing he bought it for under 100k. would love to know what it changed hands for

Ok so here's a recent sale/purchase to throw the valuations out a little.  A buddy of mine just bought a blue 993TT 1996 model with under 100k's for well under $100k and got a decent PPI

I drove it yesterday and its very strong indeed, is already fitted with full adjustable Bilsteins too

Im very jelly

that's a good buy, about 100-120k is what a good one is worth imo, especially given prices elsewhere.

for 200k it better come with a boot full of gold bars

Yes 60'ks on the clock.

To be fair as I said he got a very detailed and thorough PPI and found a compression anomaly so has 'banked' some $$ for a future top-end should the need arise, but the thing drives very well and is really strong.

I'd like a 993 but I don't see $80k in a C2 like the blue one in QLD atm even with low kays.  Getting a TT under $100k however is another bargain entirely

• 3 weeks later...

I see that the Adelaide 993 Turbo in question has had its price reduced to $164,900.

At that price, someone might just might start to get twitchy.

18,700kms, original paint, two owners, etc.

You could start to make a case for buying it.

I still cant believe that the dealer/owner hasnt lifted the ride height and removed the BMC sticker on the intercooler, but at least it gives you something to negotiate with.

If you got the original front and rear bits so you could get rid of that awful aerokit you would have a very nice car.

On another note, while out driving my red 993 Turbo yesterday I met a new Cayenne GTS owner who was delighted to have received a cheque for $14,000 back from PCA courtesy of their recent price drop. Unheard of in car world. Well done PCA. Still means he paid $170,000.

Whats the old adage "its only expensive if you cant afford it", but really thats a lot of money for a very quickly depreciating asset.

Unlike a 993 Turbo, even at $164,900!

I see that the Adelaide 993 Turbo in question has had its price reduced to $164,900.

At that price, someone might just might start to get twitchy.

18,700kms, original paint, two owners, etc.

You could start to make a case for buying it.

I still cant believe that the dealer/owner hasnt lifted the ride height and removed the BMC sticker on the intercooler, but at least it gives you something to negotiate with.

If you got the original front and rear bits so you could get rid of that awful aerokit you would have a very nice car.

On another note, while out driving my red 993 Turbo yesterday I met a new Cayenne GTS owner who was delighted to have received a cheque for $14,000 back from PCA courtesy of their recent price drop. Unheard of in car world. Well done PCA. Still means he paid $170,000.

Whats the old adage "its only expensive if you cant afford it", but really thats a lot of money for a very quickly depreciating asset.

Unlike a 993 Turbo, even at $164,900!

Did the trick. Car appears to be sold now.

Wow! Indeed pushing the envelope!

And regarding the $14k cheque back from PCA, I had read about that and that they "had dealt with it" i think it mentioned there was about 50~ claims of that nature, good on PCA! :)

993's are the last of the Aircooled arent they?

I think (Really Hope) he will sell it as theyre pretty rare, some argue the last of the classic porsche because of no water.

If his seats are worn hes been Driving by the seat of his pant slol , i bet that car has a lot of cool stories to tell, just hope he washes the seats first, 

The sellers set the price not the buyers, or is it the other way round?, Im putting my 930 up for 300k next month, even if it doesnt sell (ok it most definately will not) but what if everyone put the price up,

then all the aircooleds will be100k,++,

would people still buy them  ????

• 4 months later...

I see our topical favourite, the 19,679km Seal Grey Turbo from Adelaide is back on the market in Canberra. It sold for around $160,000 only a few months ago and it's back on at $175,000. Without the BMC sticker, and lifted to a decent ride height.

There's also a silver 53,000km Turbo on carsales for $162,500 in Qld.

On Rennlist the US prices of 993 Turbos, especially low km ones, have been above $120,000US. That's around $140,000 Australian, and represents what the yanks call MSRP. The new car recommended price it appears to be? They are getting excited on Rennlist. Better than oil futures they are thinking.

They're holding pretty firm it seems..........

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about the silver TT up in Qld or has seen it in the flesh?  http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1997/SSE-AD-2527809/?Cr=1&sdmvc=1

Feels about $20k above market, but God I'd like to own this car!!  Might have to sell the 71S to get it past the treasurer through, and I'm not sure I could live with that.

BTW, the Canberra Turbo with 19,000 km on the clock is still for sale at $175k.  http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1995/AGC-AD-14859790/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

From a distance it looks good. I've got the same white dials and carbon shifter etc and they give the interior a real lift. They were an expensive option. That car has the soft look seats which I don't think are as nice as the shell backed sport seats to look at but they are good to use.

At 53,000kms and at the age it either will have had the air condenser, power steering rack and shocks done or it will be needing those by 80,000kms. You can't really dodge those three bullets. The clutches either last or don't, depending on the driver.

The arctic silver usually fetches a higher price than the slate grey.

Your wife would love the comfort if she's like mine. Can you decide if you could bear to lose the early car ( or win lotto!)?

Best of luck

Simon

From your member details, You are obviously relatively well schooled on old school and new air-cooled school cars. I am lost in vasodilation between a 993 4s (like your turbo but without the grunt, but from research a well accomplished air-cooled cured of all the vices) vs a late 80s Carrera option 491 wide body ( no niceties apart from a g50 if you are lucky). I love the rawness | intensity of a early basic air cooled car but worry it will be too primitive for my wife and at times drive me nuts, vs the 993s that may just be too polished and lacking that raw edge. You have the two extremes, interested in your opinion.

Moving to great ocean road & surrounds. Likely one drive per week, 50% solo at a feisty 8/10, 50% touring for winery lunches.

Interested in recommendations from those who own the two extremes of 80s and late 90s cars.